> and the earth trembled..., titan-gargant build - 20" frame built, 18th march
big mek tank kru...
post Mar 17 2012, 11:16 AM
Post #1

Battlwagon Driver
Group Icon

Group: Blood Axez
Member No.: 10,090

so for quite a long time i've been wanting to build this, but every time i went to get the two drop-pods I wound up buying something of more immediate use.
turns out all it needed for me to buy the drop pods was to go in there without intending to buy anything.

so the basice idea: I figured that if orks were to make a titan-shaped gargand (IE, one with legs) how would the embarked units assault out of it? then it hit me: make the feet drop-pods! so i've set about looting two drop-pods for the build. one's just in need of ablative armour plates, the other still needs its weapon, damage and random spikey bitz.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

I've also dug out an old mechanical squiggoth head i made for the build, as it's pretty awesome.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Here's a sketch of what i plan to make with this - it's gonna be big! i might lose the crane though...

Attached Image

I'll be looting a defiler for the close-combat fist, and otherwise i think i'll have to scratchbuild the body. i'm planning on making a lot of the joints moved by pulleys, chains and cables as well as the traditional hydraulics, as I really like the crude functionality of these things. plus growing up on scrapheap challenge makes me think hydraulics = problems.

so, whaddy'all think?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nosher
post Mar 17 2012, 03:52 PM
Post #2

Stikky Fingas
Group Icon

Group: Nobz
Member No.: 139

Love the mek, really like the head, not feeling the legs/feet. Have you considered modeling some boot-like feet to the underside of those pods? I like the idea (assaulting out of the feet), but your design looks a bit awkward/ unstable stumping along without any feet.

--------------------
So - whenever dem doks finish staplin' yer arms back on Haky, why don't you an yer boyz come down fer a visit. We'll 'av a few squigaritas, throw a few grots around an' discuss who dis 'ere choppa really belongs to...

These Waaaghs are a cross between a mass migration, holy crusade, looting party and pub crawl, with a bit of genocide thrown in for good measure.

You know Nosher's MO, anything he paints blue is automatically his.

- Nosher

+Quote Post
Nork
post Mar 17 2012, 07:43 PM
Post #3

Grot Orderly

Group: Boyz
Member No.: 12,863

Should be interesting to see this come along. I could see the pods being ankle and upwards with a "boot" for stability and for the boys to run down to assault.

If you're not certain about the crane, just add some wepons to it and it becomes a crane/turret, who said orks couldn't be versatile too? smilingOrk.gif Ooh, put some rails along the top of the crane arm, a revolving chamber at the back and it's a grot bomb launcher when it's not lifting scrap...

+Quote Post
Killbless
post Mar 17 2012, 09:34 PM
Post #4

Runtherd
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,172

I agree with Nosher about the feet. Could be good if you some add some toes like a stompa has. My other critique is that in your drawing I think it feels a bit front heavy, maybe move the gun back a bit and have some of it acting as a counter weight. Otherwise looks dead good.

--------------------
"Natural progression I guess; Wartrakktor, Wartrukk, Battlewagon..." - Thoume on the evolution of Ork vehicles

'It is considered a great breach of protocol to open fire upon a challenger in a race such as this, though truth be told Orks have never cared that much about protocol' - Ork Codex

"In the end the towing stompa literally bristles with weaponry from across the galaxy. Sometimes the gunz are even pointing in the right direction!" - Imperial Armour 8 on Deff Arsenals

+Quote Post
big mek tank kru...
post Mar 18 2012, 06:07 AM
Post #5

Battlwagon Driver
Group Icon

thanks for the input guys.

the feet were kinda meant to be stumpy, but i can see what you're saying.
they were partly inspired by this
I had considered mounting a toe on the front of each foot, which in all likelihood would house another heavy weapon laughingOrk.gif
as for putting a foot under each pod, it'd make it that bit too tall, really. plus the doors wouldn't reach the floor properly. i kind of have this image of the doors opening and all the orks tumbling out like the contents of my wardrobe after 'tidying', rather than an organised climb down the feet.

I'll see how it looks, as the only real bit that relies on the height of the feet is the knuckle-dragging CC arm.

going to get the rest of the joints needed to plumb-up the legs (using copper pipe as a skeleton) today, then i'll be plating over it, adding cables and whatnot.

cheers guys!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Penguin of Death
post Mar 18 2012, 09:16 AM
Post #6

Runtherd
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,032

Regarding thew front heavyness how about making it look more animalistic? Make the crane a tail t the back to balnce it out and have the huge cannon mounted on its back/shoulder

feetwise could you open up a couple of the drop pods doors to give it 'toes'?

--------------------

+Quote Post
big mek tank kru...
post Mar 18 2012, 02:18 PM
Post #7

Battlwagon Driver
Group Icon

i've been thinking 'bout the feet issue, and while i was kinda going for the stumpy look, i'm considering something like this, mainly to add stability winkingOrk.gif

Attached Image

i can model them embedded in the ground for the rear foot.

i've also built most of the skeleton to support this guy, just need to make the shoulders and the arms and he'll be ready for pictures.

he's currently measuring in at around 2 feet high. so definitely a gargant winkingOrk.gif also gonna be pretty heavy with all this copper in him.

also i won't be able to put a boot under the feet now the skeleton's made, but i could still make the drop pods the heels and a toe for the front. we'll see how it looks all together (i can always go back to the feet!)

cheers! cheers.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
big mek tank kru...
post Mar 18 2012, 05:08 PM
Post #8

Battlwagon Driver
Group Icon

right, finished the frame and got a couple of pictures.

annoyingly, i mounted the hips upside-down without realising, so that might be a bit awkward to build around. on the plus side, it made it the perfect size for everything to look right (any taller and it'd have looked overly... ...tall).

Attached Image

Attached Image

the gun looks pretty wierd right now, but with a massive power generating spinny-bitz containing lump on the back, it should look pretty good.

i'll work on it more on wednesday, as i'm knackered now, have gaming club after work tomorrow and skittles the night after. so I'll be able to read any inputs from you lot before i make anything winkingOrk.gif

also, it's more upright than in the sketch, and is as stable as a tripod!

C&C always appreciated! cheers.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
colinabrett
post Mar 18 2012, 05:20 PM
Post #9

Oily Squig

Member No.: 2,045

I am no expert on this but your sketch reminded me of a gorilla. It looked a bit off-balance because of the huge cannon on its right arm. If that was a normal arm (with or without power-klaw type hand) the whole Titan structure would look more Orky.

Where or how you build in a massive eff-off cannon after that is beyond me biggrin2.gif

Colin

--------------------
"The smartest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
-- Verbal Kynt, The Usual Suspects

+Quote Post
Gaf-Naz
post Mar 25 2012, 09:46 PM
Post #10

Mayor of Orktown
Group Icon

Group: Bad Moonz
Member No.: 1,210

I'm really interested to see where this build goes. search.gif

Love the head, and using pipes as a skelleton to build on is a good idea.

How about adding oversized talons - like a dinosaur - to the drop pods instead of the large fins you mocked-up? You could add hydraulics to them to show how they move and grip the ground as it's walking.

You also have very orky wallpaper in your house! biggrin2.gif

--------------------
Ork Town III - Terrain building competition, sponsored by Ramshackle Games.

Do you need some 6th edition fortifications for your army, a new terrain piece or an 'armies on display' board?

Then build it, paint it, post it and move into "da orkiest town in da ooniverse", and have the chance of winning a prize!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version |  Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 11:44 AM