> "Dave's Folley" Tourny, Edited due to tourny format change
Muctar
post Feb 19 2012, 01:39 PM
Post #1

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

Group: Grotz
Member No.: 12,745

G'day ladz,

I've been hanging around a while on the board, but finally found a good reason to get my first post in. I recently heard there's going to be a 1000 point HQ and Troops only tournament in my area, and I thought that this would be a great chance to crack out the boyz for the first time to see what they could do. It'd also give me some motivation to put together some more of the 220+ ork models I have sitting around in boxes.

So came up with two lists that I have the models for and which I feel I can get ready in time for the tourny in April. Here's the first:

HQ
Warboss - Power Klaw - 85

Troops
20 Sluggas - Nob, Power Klaw, Bosspole - 166
20 Shootas - 'Ard Boyz, 'Ard Boyz Nob, Power Klaw, Bosspole - 250

With this list I figured "more is bettah". I just love the idea of running the green tide around the table lookin' to krump stuff. Any walkers I come across I'd plan on taking out with the hidden PK in the squads, though hopefully not getting Da Boss involved with kombat klankers.

My other option was to try and include some Deff Dreads into the list. Since there will only be HQ and Troops my thoughts were that some dreads would be great cover for the boyz, as well as difficult to take out by opponents due to the FOC limitations. Here it is:

HQ
Big Mek - KFF - 85
Big Mek

Troops
Deff Dread - 2x DCCW, Grot Rigger - 110
Deff Dread - 2x Rokkit Launcha - 100
20 Shootas - 2x Big Shoota, Nob, Power Klaw, Bosspole - 176

The only thing I could really think of changing would be to drop the Big Shootas, Grot Rigger, and 5 more points to give my second Big Mek a burna. Let me know what you think, since I want to make sure that the boyz know I'm Da Boss 'round 'ere!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
greggles
post Feb 20 2012, 08:52 AM
Post #2

Lobotomy

Group: Boyz
Member No.: 11,813

I'd fiddle with points to give both dreads grot riggers, armor plates, and at least 1 extra DCCW (give one to each dread, then the other weapon a RL)...basically kit them out identically. If you need points, drop the RL's for skorcha's. (very useful if you are about to be charged by a useless unit meant to hold you up, like a ton of gaunts)

Armor plates are a life saver on dreads...as basically they are useless in shooting, so they run every turn till they're in charge range. The armor plates ensure they can always run. The grot riggers remove immobilized results. Both ensuring the dreads are constantly moving.

Of course the fundamental problem with this list, is that you have only 2 av targets. As such, the whole of your opponents anti tank and melta guns will be firing at the dreads. They most likely will not reach their targets, or even get close. I love dreads so much...coolest damn models ever (just look at my avatar!)...but they always tend to fall apart when you don't have a ton of distraction units (like BW Deff rolla's), to absorb the anti tank.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muctar
post Feb 20 2012, 05:23 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (greggles @ Feb 20 2012, 09:52 AM) *
I'd fiddle with points to give both dreads grot riggers, armor plates, and at least 1 extra DCCW (give one to each dread, then the other weapon a RL)...basically kit them out identically. If you need points, drop the RL's for skorcha's. (very useful if you are about to be charged by a useless unit meant to hold you up, like a ton of gaunts)
I like your setup. That wasn't something I had considered at all
Armor plates are a life saver on dreads...as basically they are useless in shooting, so they run every turn till they're in charge range. The armor plates ensure they can always run. The grot riggers remove immobilized results. Both ensuring the dreads are constantly moving.
You are right that the dreads will spend most of their time running forward so it's a good idea to invest in things that'll help them keep moving for as long as possible. Thanks for pointing that out.
Of course the fundamental problem with this list, is that you have only 2 av targets. As such, the whole of your opponents anti tank and melta guns will be firing at the dreads. They most likely will not reach their targets, or even get close. I love dreads so much...coolest damn models ever (just look at my avatar!)...but they always tend to fall apart when you don't have a ton of distraction units (like BW Deff rolla's), to absorb the anti tank.
Too true. I knew that was the weakness of this list, and is partly why I prefer the other by comparison. However, since only Troops and HQs will be fielded at the tournament perhaps that will mean less dedicated anti AV in lists, meaning more survivability?

I really appreciate the input greggles. Since I'm new to the army I need to be told even the basic stuff since I'm not completely familiar with all the little idiosyncrasies for each unit. Any comments about the green tide list?

+Quote Post
Goregut
post Feb 21 2012, 04:29 AM
Post #4

Grot Oiler

Member No.: 12,827

I would personally go for the first list. So many boyz is going to put the hurt on someone, one way or the other. Only fast armies (like Dark panzee in raiders) could be a problem for you, unless you make sure you spread to every corner of the board.

It might be a good idea to drop the Ard boyz upgrade and the warboss and put a big mek with KFF in instead. a 5+ cover save for the guys at front, and a 4+ for the guys in the back will add a lot of survivability to your boyz. And maybe use the leftover points for some Rokkits for some of the boyz squad to help negate your weakness against fast transports a little bit? I know Rokkits are not the best choice for boyz, but since you cant get any ranged anti mech from other sources, (unless you run the dread list) it might help out in the long run.

--------------------
Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't lose neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!

+Quote Post
Muctar
post Feb 21 2012, 05:23 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Goregut @ Feb 21 2012, 05:29 AM) *
I would personally go for the first list. So many boyz is going to put the hurt on someone, one way or the other. Only fast armies (like Dark panzee in raiders) could be a problem for you, unless you make sure you spread to every corner of the board.

It might be a good idea to drop the Ard boyz upgrade and the warboss and put a big mek with KFF in instead. a 5+ cover save for the guys at front, and a 4+ for the guys in the back will add a lot of survivability to your boyz. And maybe use the leftover points for some Rokkits for some of the boyz squad to help negate your weakness against fast transports a little bit? I know Rokkits are not the best choice for boyz, but since you cant get any ranged anti mech from other sources, (unless you run the dread list) it might help out in the long run.

I am concerned about the Dark Panzees, and fish 'eads for that matter, since there are a few players in my local area. However as it stands right now I don't have any boyz with rokkits, since in my overall final goal list which includes all my units, not just HQ & Troops, my Kanz will be packing my rokkitz. Perhaps I'll look into getting enough RL and BS boyz so that I can add them into whatever squads I need when I need them. Also, I'll need to convert a mek with a KFF, since that's not a model I have at the moment, but which I know will be supremely useful down the road.

+Quote Post
Muctar
post Mar 11 2012, 03:11 PM
Post #6

There's been a revision to the tournament format. It will no longer be HQ and Troops, but rather will be 1-2 HQ, 2-6 Troops, 0-1 Elite, 0-1 Fast Attack, 0-1 Heavy Support. So I've made a tinker to my list to reflect the change in FOC and points.

HQ
Warboss - PK, Bosspole - 90
Big Mek - KFF, PK - 110

Troops
21 Sluggas - Nob, PK, Bosspole - 166
21 'Ard Shootas - Nob, PK, Bosspole, 2x BS - 260

Elites
15 Lootas - 225

Heavy Support
3 Killa Kanz - 3x Rokkit Launcha - 150

Total = 1499

Let me know what you think and what I may want to tinker with.

+Quote Post
Killbless
post Mar 11 2012, 05:14 PM
Post #7

Runtherd
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,172

Looks good. MY only recommendation is to shift the 'Eavy armour over to a slugga mob. There is a lot of AP 4 guns out there and a lot less that can negate armour saves in close combat. Just don't point them at a unti with lots of power weapons and they'll be fine. I think with the addition of the heavy support choice, the dreadnoughts become a lot more useful. Drop 5 lootas and a mob of sluggas and you can get 2 Deff dreads w/ Skorcha, 1 extra CCW, Riggers and armour plates. Witth the KFF and the kans, they'll be tough-ish. More boyz is always good but are a more hitty. It's just a thought.
The only other thing I'd add would possibly be something fast (RL buggy or something) so that you have something which can move quickly late game to contest an objective. Just hold it back and out of LOS and then on the last turn sit it on an objective that your opponent is holding.

--------------------
"Natural progression I guess; Wartrakktor, Wartrukk, Battlewagon..." - Thoume on the evolution of Ork vehicles

'It is considered a great breach of protocol to open fire upon a challenger in a race such as this, though truth be told Orks have never cared that much about protocol' - Ork Codex

"In the end the towing stompa literally bristles with weaponry from across the galaxy. Sometimes the gunz are even pointing in the right direction!" - Imperial Armour 8 on Deff Arsenals

+Quote Post
Muctar
post Apr 8 2012, 02:31 PM
Post #8

Tournament's a week away now, and I've got my models all put together. Here's the list I plan on running which has taken into account the advice that everyone has been so kind to offer me.

HQ
Warboss - PK, AS, CB, BP - 115
Big Mek - Burna, KFF, Bosspole - 110

Troops
26 'Ard Sluggas - Nob, PK, Bosspole - 300
26 Sluggas - Nob, PK, Bosspole - 196
26 Sluggas - Nob, PK, Bosspole - 196
26 Shootas - Nob, PK, Bosspole, 2x BS - 206

Elites
15 Lootas - 225

Heavy Support
3 Killa Kanz - 3x Rokkit Launcha - 150

I had to re-work the list a bit to go with larger mobs of boyz and 'ard boyz to help with my points. I also upgraded the Warboss and Big Mek a bit more to make them more hitty. I unfortunately don't have access to any 'coptas and do not have time to convert trukk kits into buggies. What had crossed my mind was rearranging the mob sizes, upgrades to HQ's, dropping some lootas, and then include a mob of Stormboyz. I've got the kits and should have time to get them put together by gameday, but I'm not convinced it's a good idea for this list.

As this'll be my first set of games as orks my thinking is of running as many big mobs as I could and seeing the results. I like the staying power of big mobs.

Total = 1499

+Quote Post
Muctar
post Apr 14 2012, 07:02 PM
Post #9

Felt like I should make an update as the tournament was today. I had a lot of success with the list and was able to come in second place! Not too shabby for my first three games as orks! smilingOrk.gif

+Quote Post
Boss Gobbstompa
post Apr 17 2012, 01:07 PM
Post #10

Warbike Boy
Group Icon

Group: Deathskullz
Member No.: 10,635

Not too shabby.

I probably would have gone with a pair of Big Mekz and a pair of Troop Dreddz to go with those Kanz as a modified Kan Wall, but coming in second isn't bad, especially with what is out there today.

--------------------
Nkelsch on the differences between disembarking from open-topped vehicles and closed vehicles.
QUOTE (nkelsch @ Dec 10 2009, 10:15 AM) *
Compare a bunch if drunk rednecks jumping out of the back of a pickup truck VS a bunch of old ladies getting off the bus.

BLAAAGH!!! Gobbstompa (WIP/Magnetizing tutorial)
WAAAGH!!! Gobbstompa (finished models)
The Legend of Gobbstompa (fluff)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version |  Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 02:58 PM