IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Playing Warhammer 40k Online., Yep it's true.
Borrok
post Dec 31 2011, 06:57 PM
Post #1

Kickin' Grot

Group: Boyz
Member No.: 11,200

Greetings ya grotz, I bring most waaagh-dafull nooz.

What If I told you there was a way you could play Warhammer 40k (or wut evvar its called.) over the internet.

Well its true! Using the program Vassal, you can play a full match of Warhammer 40k over the web with Vassal 40k

'Thats amazing Borrok, I want to give you lot's of teef and guns, but how do I use it?'

Good question, what you do is go here http://www.vassalengine.org/
and download the latest vassal program and install it.

Also an Army book and Rule book is required for play.

Once installed go here
http://vassal40k.wordpress.com/

download Vassle40k v5.4E and save it to somewhere you can find it.
once downloaded, un-zip it to somewhere you can find it and launch the original vassle, then navigate the menu to vassle40k and load it.

And there you have it! Follow the simple log in screen, and you can now search for an online game, or start one yourself (both online and offline.)

For more info on how to play using Vassle check out this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4sTlMDCozI...player_embedded

LEGAL STUFF!!!!

Vassal 40k does NOT come with unit stats and rules, it gives you a frame to work with, it is not automated.

All vassal assets are free of charge and non-profit.

I have NOTHING to do with vassal.

(more legal mumbo jumbo to been found in vassal itself)

(Also I'd put up screen shots but I dont want to steal bandwidth from anyone, and there are shots on their site ^_^)
(Sorry boss! I couldnt find it crybaby.gif gonna have to copy paste guys, I couldnt find the link button. Sorry!)

--------------------
A grape on a stik is not a rokkit launcher. - Feral Ork Weaponry 101
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Warboss Gorhack
post Jan 1 2012, 08:32 AM
Post #2

'Ead Graft
Group Icon

Group: Bad Moonz
Member No.: 5,050

Vassal ran into some legal issues with GW a while back. It's not new, and was used extensively with GW stats back in the day.

More to the point, human interaction and model building/painting are part of the deal for most of us. Most would rather play games with (preferably painted) models on (hopefully) real terrain against (more or less) live opponents. Playing yet another internetz game kind of defeats the purpose. You should have seen the hue-and-cry when some enterprising soul suggested a dice-rolling program in lieu of rolling the ivories... and that was digitzing just part of the game.

That said, there are good reasons to use such a capability. Some folks can't find live opponents. Some players only have a small gaming community and want to face someting other than the usual rock-paper-scissors of armies, builds and players they know too well. Some want to try out new tactics/builds or want test runs against enemy builds and tactics. Fair enough.

Still, it's good to remind people this is available. Thanks!

My two teef,

Warboss Gorhack

+Quote Post
Blakkreaper
post Jan 9 2012, 06:08 AM
Post #3

Da Ladz Wrangler
Group Icon

Group: Freebooterz
Member No.: 2,068

I've recently given vassal a spin (am yet to loose, though I've only played 5games) and it's worth checking out if you have any of the issues gorhack mentioned. I'm on there usually as leftbower, so if you see me shoot me a message.

--------------------
Cheerz to Thork for the Great Avvy.
Genrul blakkreaper ov da dreadsokk korpz - fightin' Ruleslawyer gitz and keepin' it proppa.
Let's gross our fingers and sacraface pot Blood Red to Bitz God... [Morhgoz]
I oppose RAW evil; or, more importantly; The Dice Gods oppose RAW evil. [Andrew the Eternal's proppa hiaku]

"Giving Krooza an idea, now prooven to be just as bad as saying 'Go on Dim, rant away!" [Dim Reepa]
"We don't have a Battle Tank. We have a glorified transport that eats people." "like a surgical sledgehammer." [GrogDaTyrant]
Now plugging: Da Klanz Projekt MkIII, Ladz of da waaagh kompetishun Rules As Awesome: Unofficial FAQ and Grimdark Frontier (a WiP 40k CivIV mod)
Like Heroic Fantasy? Check out my writers blog. Orcs appear from time to time, and they're proppa.

+Quote Post
PeaceCraft
post Jan 15 2012, 10:16 PM
Post #4

Steel Teef

Group: Boyz
Member No.: 4,020

its legit, i used to test lists quickly online with it back in 2007. had some crappy sprites at that age, i expect thing shave gotten better

nice to see its still alive

+Quote Post
Blakkreaper
post Jan 15 2012, 11:20 PM
Post #5

Da Ladz Wrangler
Group Icon

Group: Freebooterz
Member No.: 2,068

Sprites are still pretty crappy, especially for newly updated armies. (Playing agaisnt tin'ead had one thing I didn't expect to see come across from the table-top: "Counts-as" models.)

--------------------
Cheerz to Thork for the Great Avvy.
Genrul blakkreaper ov da dreadsokk korpz - fightin' Ruleslawyer gitz and keepin' it proppa.
Let's gross our fingers and sacraface pot Blood Red to Bitz God... [Morhgoz]
I oppose RAW evil; or, more importantly; The Dice Gods oppose RAW evil. [Andrew the Eternal's proppa hiaku]

"Giving Krooza an idea, now prooven to be just as bad as saying 'Go on Dim, rant away!" [Dim Reepa]
"We don't have a Battle Tank. We have a glorified transport that eats people." "like a surgical sledgehammer." [GrogDaTyrant]
Now plugging: Da Klanz Projekt MkIII, Ladz of da waaagh kompetishun Rules As Awesome: Unofficial FAQ and Grimdark Frontier (a WiP 40k CivIV mod)
Like Heroic Fantasy? Check out my writers blog. Orcs appear from time to time, and they're proppa.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version |  Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 01:03 AM