> How do i thin metallic paints?, GW and Vallejo
mr_maxime
post Dec 7 2011, 11:20 PM
Post #1

'Ard Boy
Group Icon

Group: Freebooterz
Member No.: 1,457

Ive been trying to thin metallic paints using water, but if i add too much it starts to separate oddly (Vallejo brass getting a purplish gray liquid on top. Ive also tried tamiya thinner which didnt really help much either.

--------------------
here's why my orks are blue. they have an intense hatred of historical recording of any kind which results in none of them knowing why they're blue. because of this, anytime anyone questions the origin of their skintone they waste no time adding the inquirer's head to their bosspole. no one will ever know why these orks are blue, as merely asking about it is a death wish. in the end there will be only 3 types of people left, the blue orks, those who don't want to know the history of the blue skin, and the dead.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
eddie the troll
post Dec 8 2011, 03:54 AM
Post #2

Da Mole

Group: Boyz
Member No.: 613

I've had the problem myself.

The difficulty for GW paints is that the metalics are actually a suspension of solids in a two part oil / water emulsion. You have to make sure that the paint is very well mixed before you try thinning it with anything. This breaks up the emulsion and distributes the oil based and water parts over the metalic paint particles, instead of allowing the oliy part of the emulsion to rise to the surface.

Once that is done I've found that you can thin with water provided you don't use more than around a 1:2 water to paint mix.

--------------------
the voices in my head sound better as a choir

War isn't about who's right... war is about who's left...

Sumus ubi Sumus

+Quote Post
Agatheron
post Dec 10 2011, 01:58 PM
Post #3

Blue Thunda Ace
Group Icon

Group: Nobz
Member No.: 32

What eddie said, regular water is just You could try some matte or even gloss medium to thin it a bit as well. The hitch is that you can't thin too much or otherwise the metallic flakes will separate out too much. Mind you, I do tend to thin metallics a bit more than I do the regular paints.

--------------------
______Agatheron \_______
--Remember, long, uncontrolled bursts,
and indiscriminate target selection.
____________________________/

http://chaplainsbrush.wordpress.com/

+Quote Post
popisdead
post Feb 8 2012, 03:05 PM
Post #4

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

Member No.: 1,115

I use water. If it is too thin I just run my brush along paper towel to take most the water away.

Sometimes it just takes a couple layers of paint to build up what I am after.

--------------------

+Quote Post
BossGrabnutz
post Jun 7 2012, 07:34 AM
Post #5

Mushling

Group: Grotz
Member No.: 13,107

Fantastic Floor wax. It smooths the paint without spreading the metal pigment too thin. I also tend to mix airbrush silver with white for stuff like mother of pearl.

+Quote Post
Warboss Grimek
post Jun 13 2012, 10:55 AM
Post #6

Stormboy

Member No.: 10

Future or Fantastic would pretty much be like using a gloss varnish, or matte/gloss medium to thin. I've found that while thinning metallics can be a bit of a pain to get a large-ish batch, so it's probably better to just work in smaller batches of paint. Then again, I've had less problems with separation since I've started using a wet palette, although there's still a need to reintegrate the paint solution before applying to the model...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version |  Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 08:48 AM