IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What to thin GW paint with for airbrushing?
yoho1.5
post Dec 1 2011, 04:31 PM
Post #1

Burna Boy

Group: Boyz
Member No.: 3,340

hi I have a silver jet compressor and a neo gun and I'm base coating, camoflauging vehicles. I'm new to air brushing and just looking to urban camo using ultramarine blue, enchanted blue, regal blue and fortress gray. The ultra blue seems to split easily, been using isopropol alcohol to thin it, it worked okay. What do you guys thin your paint with?

--------------------
Reduce! (Dakka, Krump) Reuse! (with help from Doks 'n Meks) Recycle! (Loot, 'n Loot more) GO GREEN!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Trogdar
post Dec 1 2011, 09:33 PM
Post #2

Grot Oiler

Member No.: 10,145

I'm no pro, but I use water with a GW airbrush.

+Quote Post
Da Blue Faced Mo...
post Dec 2 2011, 06:30 AM
Post #3

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

Group: Grotz
Member No.: 12,805

If your going to use the alcohol, I would mix it 1 part alcohol to 5-10 parts water. Every time I have have used straight alcohol, my paints have separated completely, no matter how much stirring I have do.

I use straight distilled water, and rarely use the alcohol/distilled water mix, but when I do, I use a 1/10 ratio for mine. All the alcohol does is break water tension slightly and allow the liquid to dry faster than straight water. For reference, I use a Paasche Talon with a one of their compressors as well.

+Quote Post
Agatheron
post Dec 6 2011, 12:16 PM
Post #4

Blue Thunda Ace
Group Icon

Group: Nobz
Member No.: 32

I've made excellent use of Tamiya's X-20A thinner, which is Alchohol-based, but higher concentration than straight 70% Isopropyl (over the counter rubbing alcohol). I can't tell you the proportions, but I simply use a brush to scoop paint into a mixing jar, and then add eyedroppers of X-20A until it's about the consistency of skim milk. I've never had paint separation issues at all using the X-20A. Sprays very well that way.

This is with my Grex Genesis XG and compressor... The GW paints thin very well for airbrushing. On the other hand DON'T use X-20A or any other alcohol-based thinner for Vallejo paints. Turns it to goop.

For larger projects with the GW spray gun with my compressor, I use 70% rubbing alcohol with the foundation paints rather than tap water as the manual suggests. Covers well. I used that mix to paint (and later flock) my Realm of Battle Board in less than a week.

For non-GW paints, I do recommend the Tamiya line, as they are designed for airbrushing as well.

--------------------
______Agatheron \_______
--Remember, long, uncontrolled bursts,
and indiscriminate target selection.
____________________________/

http://chaplainsbrush.wordpress.com/

+Quote Post
mr_maxime
post Dec 6 2011, 12:27 PM
Post #5

'Ard Boy
Group Icon

Group: Freebooterz
Member No.: 1,457

What should you use for vallejo game color?

--------------------
here's why my orks are blue. they have an intense hatred of historical recording of any kind which results in none of them knowing why they're blue. because of this, anytime anyone questions the origin of their skintone they waste no time adding the inquirer's head to their bosspole. no one will ever know why these orks are blue, as merely asking about it is a death wish. in the end there will be only 3 types of people left, the blue orks, those who don't want to know the history of the blue skin, and the dead.

+Quote Post
Badfang Brassaxe
post Dec 6 2011, 05:47 PM
Post #6

Explosive Kranium

Member No.: 9,593

QUOTE (mr_maxime @ Dec 6 2011, 05:27 PM) *
What should you use for vallejo game color?

Probably not the cheapest option but this seems to work
Attached File  thinner.jpg ( 44.12K ) Number of downloads: 3

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version |  Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 12:39 PM