Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Orky Artwork.

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

SquigBolts

SquigBolts

wants to be a lil mek

• Boyz
  • 309 posts
  • Army Name:Deathskullz
Not quite sure if this is the right section but i couldn't find an 'art' one so here we go. ill be posting up my art i do (orks of course!) not going to bother with older stuff as im 14 and i doubt it would be worth it. well here is my most recent piece, a black and white drawing at first then coloured digitally. final_orky.jpg Aaaand coloured! Art067_coulored.jpg more to come! (hopefully)
ORKY ART
Great, good quality, cheap parts, good for ork conversions at: Ramshackle games

daemoniccorpse

daemoniccorpse

Syringe Squig

• Grotz
  • 77 posts
  • Army Name:Evil Sunz
That's pretty awesome considering you're only 14! I quite like the cartoony take on the Ork, it reminds me a lot of the Beano comics :) Keep it up :thumbs
{Transmission Ends}

Mek's Beginnings: My scratch built vehicles wagonz!

Take a look at my Youtube Channel

Say Hi on Facebook!

MaddaMek

MaddaMek

Gargant Krew

• Deathskullz
  • 2,775 posts
  • Army Name:Freak'd out Skulls
Not bad at all! You posted it in right place (I saw at least 3 topics in past year-two). However I think you should work a little over Your Photoshop-fu - You probably used "magic wand" tool, which spoiled colour edges (and I totally explain You why. "Black" isn't black at edges! It's grey/blue/green. So "magic wand" became "confused wand".) a bit. When whole thing is scaled then it looks ok, but in 1:1 size... There are few solutions: Adjust magic wand "accuracy" strenght. "Magic wand" insides of black areas, then select inverse nad delete. or Do this:unless you used new layer(s) for colours, try to work with few layers, each dedicated for different colour. Then try to copy&paste "black" (hint: it's not black) layer into new image. Discard colours (use function or swith to "monohromatic" mode). Copy&paste, then try to use transparency options. (sorry for gimpish explanation but I have non-english PS version) [edit] (btw. My avatar is made in PS, with Microsoft Paint as "copy/paste temporary box")
Moldmaking tutorials [part 1] [part2]

the 1st pip

the 1st pip

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 391 posts
  • Army Name:Gorgutz Blud Axe Freebooterz
What he said! It's very nice, definitely an unusual style, but thats not a bad thing. Very comic booky.
My current Ork Deffwing project Deffwing
My Ork Album Blood Axes

Taytonclait

Taytonclait

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 326 posts
Nice work man, you've a damn decent sense of lighting, line depth and anatomy for someone who's 14, I remember my first drawings at that age, oh dear, so hideous. I find it hard to draw an ork who's smiling, and you've done it. The cartoony style works well. Also I like the attention you've placed on the different textures of this character, from his gun to his armour to his skin
Smash 'em, Bash em, Skin em alive!!

SquigBolts

SquigBolts

wants to be a lil mek

• Boyz
  • 309 posts
Thanks guys! @maddamek: yes i know, i forgot to change the file type to pure black and white. i was already half way through. definatley next time! and thanks for the advice :cheers I might do a background for it, but with no legs. also this was my first try at couloring digitaly, so expect me to improve over more time.(hopefully ;) ) and thanks guys for the comments it realy helps!

also: i am not very happy with the gun. the coulor looks terrible and its out of line. if anyone has advice on digitaly couloring metal, it would be realy appricated!
ORKY ART

crispy

crispy

Grot Rigger

• Boyz
  • 171 posts
Thats a great image little mek, colouring looks pretty good to me. Hope you dont mind a little constructive criticism but the one thing I think you could improve on is the hands. They always sell a picture and are worth taking the time to learn how to get them looking just right. Back when I was a grot I found a few good books in my local library but if you do a google image serach for "dynamic drawing hands" you'll get some good reference pics and sites. I found thinking of the palm of the hand as a widened pentangle, then adding the fingers and thumb helped a lot. If you can find those "dynamic drawing" books they were a great source of info for figure drawing. I did a few ork pics back in my art college days, heavily influenced by Paul Bonner who was GW's flavour of the month at the time. I dont want to take over your thread but if you want i'll post up a link to them? They'll be a bit old and tired now like me but should hopefully photo ok. Most of all keep drawing & doodling whenever you can. The more you do the better you'll get, and you're already pretty good. Nic
"When the pin is removed, Mr Grenade is not your friend!"

MaddaMek

MaddaMek

Gargant Krew

• Deathskullz
  • 2,775 posts
How about those? (warning, HUGE pictures uploaded on Imageshack, give it some time to load ;) One appears to be missing tho :()

Ok, I did little work and made few backgrounds and stuff...
Enjoy! [big pics, some +3000x3000 pixels, JPG's]
http://img524.images...24/6328/zby.jpg
http://img406.images.../metal1copy.jpg
http://img4.imagesha.../metal2copy.jpg

From here :P (gee, I need to drop that or work with that)

made by making monochromatic noise (black "grains" on white background), then bluring it (motion blur) + some gradients (one from top to bottom, one round) to make things look tight. Obviously Your noise field must be bigger than metal area due to distorsions from motion blur (like corners in round and sides in horizontal). Just cut out crappy parts...

Also it appears (for me) that gun have some chipped paint, at least on black-white drawing.

[edit]
Hope You didn't mind me working over Your art.

Posted Image

I've reapplied black (I've literally discard colours from sketch, cut away background, copy/paste on colourfull one and have fun with layer blending option. this also changed colour saturation to more juicy and dark but You may choose to have original colours too), remade (roughly, I've spend about minute over it so there are few grey spots) metal on Shoota (made metal texture in new layer, save selection from original picture layer from places that I've wanted to replace, cut it in metal layer [it covered whole picture :P] and blend layers) and applied Red Paint Job over it (like metal: red layer, cut out, blend. Shoulder pad is just reblacked, for comparision).

[edit 2]
You know, now I'm really impressed, especially with arm band - it looks so... good. Also scratches give it nice orky flavour. Again, good job. You should take some time and search for free tutorials (I've found metal by typing "photoshop metal effect" in google..)

SquigBolts

SquigBolts

wants to be a lil mek

• Boyz
  • 309 posts
@maddamek Sure! no problem! like i said, thi9s was my first digital one, and thanks, ive been working on perfecting diffrent textures with only a black pen for a while now. of course ill take everything on board! :) @crispy: Yeah my birthday is soon and ive asked for mucsle structure books to help drawing. thanks! -edit- oh and crispy, sure post up the links! im always looting techniques! ;)
ORKY ART

SquigBolts

SquigBolts

wants to be a lil mek

• Boyz
  • 309 posts
New work! is you can see, I work fast! (when influenced! ;) ) Stompa (Black and white) sketched partly in English today :blush and finished in my lunch hour so one and a half hours of work. then modified in paint.net to be pure black and white :) hope you guys like, im working on The colour version now. 100_1158.JPG -edit- will blur afterwards to avoid pixalated look
ORKY ART

daemoniccorpse

daemoniccorpse

Syringe Squig

• Grotz
  • 77 posts
  • Army Name:Evil Sunz
I do like the cartoony style :) Nice adaptation of the Stompa!
{Transmission Ends}

Mek's Beginnings: My scratch built vehicles wagonz!

Take a look at my Youtube Channel

Say Hi on Facebook!

crispy

crispy

Grot Rigger

• Boyz
  • 171 posts
I love that stompa, really good proportions and line work. Lets see it with a little colour.

Here's the link to a few bits I drew when I was in college. If I get a chance I'll have to get my pencils out and give the digital colour a go sometime.
"When the pin is removed, Mr Grenade is not your friend!"

SquigBolts

SquigBolts

wants to be a lil mek

• Boyz
  • 309 posts
Thanks crispy! those are amazing! they remind me of art work from the older ork codex's. hence you mentioning Paul B. im ok-ish at pencil shading probably 2nd or third best in my year, but these were near to flawless. the grot is great! i am about 1/4 the way through colour should get it finished by the end of this week.
ORKY ART

Jorvanni

Jorvanni

Squighound

• Boyz
  • 111 posts
  • Army Name:Wazzaaaaa
Congratulations on your work little mek. IMO you have a great future if you keep it up. (My parents made me quit art for law). Ended up military LOL. I see the cartoony style and it feels good. Great artists are always original. The unusual style made Jack Kirby the great comic artist of his era. As you got the art idea going on, it would be nice for the moderators make a forum for art. Great job

MaddaMek

MaddaMek

Gargant Krew

• Deathskullz
  • 2,775 posts
I like it, tho It would be better if You would leave it in mono rather than in pure black&white (in Poland we use b-w to describle monochrome photos, tho it's not technically right). So You would have blured edges right away! Also leave greyish background inside (it would give you little more depth and also any little scratches would look good). Just discard colours and cut outside.

Like here
Posted Image
It would actually save Your time (You may use brightness/contrast, "burn" tool and much more on grey)

Obviously You may use white-black as template that will be filled with colours and then apply greyish "mask" to give more depth.

Taytonclait

Taytonclait

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 326 posts
Hey Little Mek, I've got a mini tutorial of sorts on how I colour metal in photoshop, here's the link:

http://taytonclait.d...llery/#/d1andhs

its pretty rough and a bit out of date currently but its might give you some good hints. Also, something I find very useful, stay away from filters as much as possible. Filters look good right away because they give you texture and depth in a picture with very little effort but ultimately they suffer from being repetitive and recognizable. They instantly boost your pic to a certain level of quality, but stop it at that level. Its best to work hard, as hard as you do on your lineart, and develop good skills for doing texture, colour, and light by hand. It can seem very complicated, but once you learn the basics it becomes quite simple, and you find your results become much nicer with more practice and experience (like everything art related).

My favorite anatomy book EVER is this one;

http://www.amazon.ca...e/dp/0806930152

but it is very complicated and technical. Another really really great set of artbooks are these, and they are much cheaper and simpler;

http://www.thewoodcr...IGURE-HAMM.html

Jack Hamm has books about drawing people, landscapes and animals, they're all very good. There are also a great number of tutorials and examples on deviantart, you just have to sift through all the crap and kitteh pictures (although I like kittehs)

Maddamek's 2 tone example at the post above this one looks really good, the lines are nice and smooth and the grey value inside the drawing makes all those details that much more apparent.

Hope this stuff helped some! Oh and that gun could be fixed in photoshop too, but this post is getting huge, if you want my advice I can post again
Smash 'em, Bash em, Skin em alive!!

SquigBolts

SquigBolts

wants to be a lil mek

• Boyz
  • 309 posts
Sure as ive only just started colouring digitally i could use all the advice you have! also thanks for the metal tutorial! it really helped!
ORKY ART

SquigBolts

SquigBolts

wants to be a lil mek

• Boyz
  • 309 posts
Sorry for the massive file size. tried to resize but paint keeps crashing. :( update. taking soooooooooo long. but heres what i have so far. ork_stompa_coulor..jpg
ORKY ART

SquigBolts

SquigBolts

wants to be a lil mek

• Boyz
  • 309 posts
Just another drawing. from some point in December I think. Based on older gw models! 100_1077.JPG
ORKY ART

SquigBolts

SquigBolts

wants to be a lil mek

• Boyz
  • 309 posts
tough crowd ;) here is some more! most unfinished, just though id chuck them up. need to work on proportion more than detail. .100_1270.JPG .100_1267.JPG .100_1269.JPG .100_1276.JPG .100_1279.JPG And a little something for Warboss Loozbadd! not coloured yet but will be soon-ish. .Digital_waaagh_logo.png hope you like :D
ORKY ART