Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Waaazdakkas Mega Gargant

* * * * - 4 votes

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

waaazdakka

waaazdakka

Flesh Eater Squig

• Grotz
  • 87 posts
  • Army Name:Evil Sunz
First off, let me remind you that Big Meks are a strange and independent lot, that is to say that my idea of Orky may not match anybody elses. My conversions tend to be a blend of 2nd and 3rd edition styles. I kind of like the idea of Giblet Grindas, Bowel Burnas, Gobsmashas and open wheeled Battlewagons. I tend to hear a lot of “that’s too clean looking for a propper Ork paint job”, but, that’s the way I like ‘em!
With that being said, I started this project taking inspiration from (what else?) the Epic Mega-Gargant, which is big, but I wanted BIG!
I’ve been working on this about 3 or 4 months now and I feel I am making pretty good progress. It has finally reached a point where you can tell what it is and maybe what it will end up looking like.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"...from Doctor Strangelove
https://sites.google...sgamestuff/home

jack da greenskin

jack da greenskin

Loota Boy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,223 posts
  • Army Name:jack's ork army
oh. em. eff. gee. That thing is ZOGGIN UGE!!! looks like a good base, but will need a lot of orkifying. What's the shell made out of? Any idea of what kind of rules you're going to use for it?
QUOTE (Kingh on paroxyism vs waaagh banner.)
This is just further proof that none of the 5th Ed Codexes received any play-testing beyond Mat Ward running around the building with a Land Speeder model whilst screaming 'VROOM VROOM'

FREEBOOTA ANTHEM
paintbrush 2010 kill count:

ukpro

ukpro

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 480 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Gazbagga
Holy :eek that is the best way to recycle old CRT Monitors I have ever seen..

Only feedback I have is that the tracks are too weedy.. need beefing up a little

What's the shell made out of?

I spent too much time with old CRT monitors not to recognise them - :crybaby

waaazdakka

waaazdakka

Flesh Eater Squig

• Grotz
  • 87 posts
Yep, old CRT housings. I started a "Mega-Gargant build" topic on the Siegeworld site...I don't think you have to be a member to look. If you have any problems, I can post more pics here.

http://siegeworld.com/?q=node/604
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"...from Doctor Strangelove

Kr00zA

Kr00zA

Grumpy ole Git

• Goffz
  • 9,989 posts
  • Army Name:Big Berk'z Bashaz
Nice work so far. Not keen on those huge blades though... I know they're consistent with the epic model this is based on... but I dont think they work well with the 40K scale.
I did a heavy conversion of an epic Mega Gargant some time ago.

http://www.voidgamer..... Gargant2.jpg

Hope its of some help... sorry the pics are so crap.
Nuf Said.

Avatarz by KroozA and Animated Avatarz by KroozA ... Please dont link directly to them. Save one and upload it to the forum.

waaazdakka

waaazdakka

Flesh Eater Squig

• Grotz
  • 87 posts
When it's done they will (hopefully) blend in a little better, The dark part on the lower hull section will resemble a big orky face and the blades will be the gob.

Posted Image

Shadowbadger

Shadowbadger

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 28 posts
  • Army Name:The Sixty-Six Shoota Crew
I am a fan of all things 2nd/3rd edition as well and this is awesome.

but I dont think they work well with the 40K scale.

I would argue that anything this big has trajectory to nothing on the board at all (unless you have a 20 foot board).

I like (and am jealous of) your workspace as well. I would not be very popular if I built a Mega Gargant in my kitchen. Is that a full sized R2-D2 in the background as well?
Shadowbadgers Sett - Necromunda, Gorkamorka and other SG's modelling and terrain.

Abhorsen

Abhorsen

Mimic Squig

• Grotz
  • 93 posts
  • Army Name:DeffSkullz
omg i love this i agree what a great use of monitor if i ever have tons of time i am so making one of these. so did u gut the monitors and if so was that a hard process? and what did u make the stomach turrets out of? i just love the ambition of the project i hope in the end it looks like a mobile ork city, that was what i loved about 3rd and 2nd ed orks was everything had shingled roofs.

b0und in3rtia

b0und in3rtia

'Ead Graft

• Blood Axez
  • 718 posts
  • Army Name:Mekunized Blood Axe Deff Core
Thats some hardcore gargant love man. WOW. my only though is.. is it big enough to be a Great Gargant. wern''t these bad mamba jamba as big as an Emperor class titan?
Got Waaaaaaagh!!?!!?!?!?
"Killa Kanz down Deff Coptas up Dis is how we like ta KRUMP!! " -=Looted=-
My Photobucket of Orc stuff.

Spores of Anarchy Ash Waste Nomad Chapter

Shadowbadger

Shadowbadger

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 28 posts

Thats some hardcore gargant love man. WOW. my only though is.. is it big enough to be a Great Gargant. wern''t these bad mamba jamba as big as an Emperor class titan?

They were not quite as tall I think even with the wierdboy tower at the top (looking forward to seeing that btw). They were very fat though, as wide as the emperor even though its width was just that it had two legs apart. I have seen emperor titans for 40k taller than the guy who built them. Maybe a Mega would be 5ft plus but you would need to built that a zoggin bedroom. Some artistic license works.
Shadowbadgers Sett - Necromunda, Gorkamorka and other SG's modelling and terrain.

waaazdakka

waaazdakka

Flesh Eater Squig

• Grotz
  • 87 posts

I am a fan of all things 2nd/3rd edition as well and this is awesome.

I would argue that anything this big has trajectory to nothing on the board at all (unless you have a 20 foot board).

I like (and am jealous of) your workspace as well. I would not be very popular if I built a Mega Gargant in my kitchen. Is that a full sized R2-D2 in the background as well?

Yeah, this will probably be used once a year or so at the annual siegeworld game (see above link), where the battlefield is a dry ice-skating rink. The Mega-Gargant would take up half of a 4X8 table.

My work area is most of my basement. I have a workshop area for power tools, etc. and a painting desk for detailed work.
R2 is an old round top trash can that I painted like 30 years ago (he no longer has his legs). Glad to see he's still getting comments.

waaazdakka

waaazdakka

Flesh Eater Squig

• Grotz
  • 87 posts

omg i love this i agree what a great use of monitor if i ever have tons of time i am so making one of these. so did u gut the monitors and if so was that a hard process? and what did u make the stomach turrets out of? i just love the ambition of the project i hope in the end it looks like a mobile ork city, that was what i loved about 3rd and 2nd ed orks was everything had shingled roofs.

I went to a local compter recycler and offered to buy a variety of sizes, whatever they could spare, and they ended up GIVING me 7 housings, the Mega used up 3 1/2 of them.
Each turret is simply made out of an empty plastic air freshener jug I had laying around, along with some 3/4" PVC pipe and fittings all glued down to an old CD.
And yes, the roofs will be shingled!

waaazdakka

waaazdakka

Flesh Eater Squig

• Grotz
  • 87 posts

They were not quite as tall I think even with the wierdboy tower at the top (looking forward to seeing that btw). They were very fat though, as wide as the emperor even though its width was just that it had two legs apart. I have seen emperor titans for 40k taller than the guy who built them. Maybe a Mega would be 5ft plus but you would need to built that a zoggin bedroom. Some artistic license works.

Actually, I think It's just about right, and maybe even a bit too big (if "too big" can ever be applied to a Mega-Gargant) if anything my other gargant might be a bit small.
Compare to the epic models and see what you think.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ghudra

Ghudra

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 493 posts

Actually, I think It's just about right, and maybe even a bit too big (if "too big" can ever be applied to a Mega-Gargant) if anything my other gargant might be a bit small.

Epic "scale" is really inconsistent, especially when you start comparing the Titans to infantry. If anything, the Epic Mega Gargant is too small to be accurate at 6mm.

Your build looks good so far & you definitely captured the essence of the Epic model. Depending on how taken you are with the classic model, I'd consider changing the macro weapon-on-a-stick look and drop those weapons onto some shoulders similar to the Great Gargants.

Drabber's Mega Gargant build here might provide some useful ideas if you are looking for similar projects.

Shadowbadger

Shadowbadger

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 28 posts
The scale looks good there. I looked at the Siegeworld photo album, that is the most insane thing I have ever seen . . .

Kr00zA

Kr00zA

Grumpy ole Git

• Goffz
  • 9,989 posts
  • Army Name:Big Berk'z Bashaz
I agree that you have got the scale pretty much spot on. And if anything it's a little taller than it should be.
The trouble with scaling up epic models to 40K is that different modellers use different methods.
If you use GW illustrations and fluff from the epic books then you would indeed end up with a 5' tall Mega Gargant. Which would be as impressive as it is impractical. However if you ignore these references, which lets be honest, are very inconsistent, and use official 40K models such as the BaneBlade and WarHound you will end up with a Mega Gargant pretty much the size you have built yours.
Epic scale is all over the place. And so is 40K for that matter. The Leman Russ for example is supposed to be 50% larger than it is, as is the Rhino. And it seems the larger a war machine is supposed to be, the more under scaled it becomes. So when you get up to the massive titan sized machines you end up making it half the size it should be.
GARGANT SIZE CHART
Nuf Said.

Avatarz by KroozA and Animated Avatarz by KroozA ... Please dont link directly to them. Save one and upload it to the forum.

waaazdakka

waaazdakka

Flesh Eater Squig

• Grotz
  • 87 posts
Got a few more things done. This is still in the structural phase, that is to say, I'm still laying out the large components and haven't started on any plasticard yet.

I got the guns fixed in place so they don't slide around in the turrets. Very little on the gargant is glued so far, I've used a lot of screws and bolts to hold it together.
Posted Image

Got the basic head shape down. The roof on the turret is a test roof I made from paper so you would get the idea.
Posted Image

The close combat weapon rotates 360 and the "jaw" opens and closes.
Posted Image

The Mekboy tower buildings, Death ray and basic structure for the Lifta-Droppa which will be finished with plasticard.
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Rokkits are made from PVC and a couple of plastic easter eggs.
Posted Image

waaazdakka

waaazdakka

Flesh Eater Squig

• Grotz
  • 87 posts
Assault ramp openings and rear track assy. The upright tube will also get a cone shaped roof.
Posted Image

One of the 5 gun turrets. The roofs will be removable so that I can put Orks or Gretchin inside the turret.
Posted Image

Added some girder structure to one of the arms, I'll probably do them all like this.
Posted Image

Added a Field Generator port to the back.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

eastern barbarian

eastern barbarian

Tankbusta Boy

• Blood Axez
  • 419 posts
  • Army Name:Blood Axe Skwadron of Deff
you are insane :) It's dead impressive :)

Harkon Greywolf

Harkon Greywolf

Loota Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,243 posts
Amazing stuff. Keep up the good work, it's inspirational!!! HG