Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Bikez.... why?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Easy E

Easy E

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 263 posts
  • Army Name:Rotgutz Skulsmash Reeverz
I can't get my head around the use of Bikez. Can someone explain to me the advantage?

Do you like Free Wargames?

http://bloodandspect...s.blogspot.com/

Flamekebab

Flamekebab

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 442 posts
Personal preference, I'd guess. Very fast mobile gun platforms have their advantages, I suppose. I have one in one of my mobs equipped with twin-linked Kannons. So far it hasn't been that useful but I enjoy using it. If a mob was made up of mostly bikes it would certainly have the upper hand in terms of manoeuvrability, which could be a winning tactic, I would imagine.

Zogg

Zogg

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 463 posts
  • Army Name:Morboz Safari
Depends on who you are fighting and how many teef you are willing to spend; plus if you know how to use the "Tailing" rule. If you're fighting a large mob that lacks kannon or upgraded shootas bikes can be very troublesome as the just keep boosting and running over/ raking every Boy they come across zigzagging across the field. With the tailing rules you automatically stay directly behind your opponent's trukk as well, which would let you continually fire your twin linked kannons into them all day long until you break something vital. Beyond that the driver of a bike has a 360 degree firing arc, so they can lob frag and krak stikkbombs all over the place, and if you bother to model a side car or platform onto the back of them you can fit an extra Boy who can jump off to fight or grab scrap well before the other Mob gets there thanks to that free turbo boost on turn 1. Bikes are mostly a style choice, but wisely used and -extensive- upgrades for both bike and driver in precious teef can make them very very nasty.
Calling all Wordboyz!

Zogg, the Eternal Runtherd.

Da Bikers

Da Bikers

Grot Orderly

• Boyz
  • 184 posts
WHY BIKES!? :bang :nono

:soap For a start bikes are just so fun, they are cheap, easy to build and can quickly cause cahos.
They are twice as cheap as trucks and so are easier to buy (and you can have 3per spanner so you can have lots), once you get a couple of models on bikes the fun really starts. They are almost as tough as trucks and (unless ramming other vehicles) just as powerful with the same weapons. They can be really fun to model, being simpler and with more room to go crazy.
In one of my mobs the truck driver has a squig brain, but against all odds Iím finding it imposable to replace him (he's too good at pit fights). All of a sudden my 60/70 point truck has a stupid driver. The same problem occurred when it was unreliable and I couldn't use it in a battle, all I had was one lone biker to fight them (he didn't die instantly which I count as a success). Big trucks are putting all your eggs in one basket but bikes will blast around on their own and you can even send them in different directions to crush multiple targets.
The real question is 'why tracks?' :?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

weeble1000

weeble1000

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 16 posts
Why traks is easy: difficult terrain. Traks open up a lot more of the board and are extremely maneuverable given that they can ignore terrain that could potentially wallow a bike or a trukk for several turns. Running over difficult terrain is also a great way to force a chasing vehicle to break off.

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 4,797 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun
Mutie raiders can run rings around heavy vehicle Ork, Digga and Grot Rebel mobs in veritable ease with their mounts. Bikes have thrusters.

Nuff sed.

All the vehicles have their own merits. The why is not in the issue of taking it, it is about how you use them, like everything else.
  • Arkul likes this

Flamekebab

Flamekebab

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 442 posts
I wrote up quite a few of your suggestions and posted them on tUGS. Good answers all 'round.

Da Bikers

Da Bikers

Grot Orderly

• Boyz
  • 184 posts

I wrote up quite a few of your suggestions and posted them on tUGS.

The picture of the Ork biker on there is awesome :thumbs
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,418 posts
  • Army Name:Mad Miks motor'eads
I have recntly started an Ork army basted on Kult of Speed with Wazdakka gutsmek and enjoy my bike unit immensly. Turboboosting 24" and then assaulting can really mess up your opponents plans as recently happened whilst i was playing against tyranids. Combined with a couple of deffkopters, they can really make a mess. I love the sense of panic when you outflank your opponent so quickly and get up close and personal with their shooting units heheh. Combine this with Wazdakka's awesome firepower even when boosting and the harrying hit and run option for the deffkopters and the reason for these fast attack options becomes plain...or i might be biased :-) If nothign else, they distract your opponent and give chance for the foottroops to slog across the battlefield and with 4+ coversave and 3+ when boosting and 6's to hit for shooting at them, they should be able to make a nuisance of themselves. My only concern is whether the Nob upgrade for a full unit of Nob bikers is worth the cost? Too many teef in my opinion, at least till i have a few more units to spread the flakattack out.

When all else fails Panic
If that doesn't work...then you know you're up to your neck in it!

Flamekebab

Flamekebab

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 442 posts

I have recntly started an Ork army basted on Kult of Speed with Wazdakka gutsmek and enjoy my bike unit immensly. Turboboosting 24" and then assaulting can really mess up your opponents plans as recently happened whilst i was playing against tyranids. Combined with a couple of deffkopters, they can really make a mess. I love the sense of panic when you outflank your opponent so quickly and get up close and personal with their shooting units heheh. Combine this with Wazdakka's awesome firepower even when boosting and the harrying hit and run option for the deffkopters and the reason for these fast attack options becomes plain...or i might be biased :-)
If nothign else, they distract your opponent and give chance for the foottroops to slog across the battlefield and with 4+ coversave and 3+ when boosting and 6's to hit for shooting at them, they should be able to make a nuisance of themselves. My only concern is whether the Nob upgrade for a full unit of Nob bikers is worth the cost? Too many teef in my opinion, at least till i have a few more units to spread the flakattack out.

I'm confused, it sounds like you're talking 3rd - 5th Ed. 40K, but then you mention teef..?

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,418 posts
  • Army Name:Mad Miks motor'eads
sorry for the confusion. teef being points per model.not sure which edition my codex is, it says copyright 2007. Am i using an old edition, hope not.

When all else fails Panic
If that doesn't work...then you know you're up to your neck in it!

Flamekebab

Flamekebab

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 442 posts
This is a sub-forum dedicated to Gorkamorka, not 40K. I'm fairly certain the codex you have is for fifth edition 40K, so you're up to date, but that's not much use for Gorkamorka. The basic rules for Gorkamorka can be found here.

Electromancer

Electromancer

Ammo Runt

• Boyz
  • 155 posts
  • Army Name:Da Stompa Boyz
I never bothered with bikes they seemed too expensive but I'll try a couple in my next mob and use the ideas in this thread cheers!
Taking commissions on sculpting and building stuff: PM or email at ElectroEmporium@gmail.com