Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

jacks monthly threat...

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Zazzdakka

Zazzdakka

Suction Foot

• Goffz
  • 593 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAAGH Zaz
I don't think that you have bad skills at all Jack. Quite the contrary IMO. That guy looks great. I'm going to have to look into that red for my Khorne army in the future. You are playing with styles and colors, which is what this is all about. The more paint you put on, the better everything gets. Keep it up! :thumbs Your camera skills are getting better too. That is something that I have to work on also. I was really dissapointed with my grot shots for the kompition personally. I didn't even let that part come to mind when I did them, and boy did it show. Ah well.......... :sowhat. We have to keep doing it to get any better at this stuff.
Makin' it up as I go along!

jack da greenskin

jack da greenskin

Loota Boy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,223 posts
  • Army Name:jack's ork army

I don't think that you have bad skills at all Jack. Quite the contrary IMO. That guy looks great. I'm going to have to look into that red for my Khorne army in the future.

You are playing with styles and colors, which is what this is all about. The more paint you put on, the better everything gets. Keep it up! :thumbs

Your camera skills are getting better too. That is something that I have to work on also. I was really dissapointed with my grot shots for the kompition personally. I didn't even let that part come to mind when I did them, and boy did it show. Ah well.......... :sowhat. We have to keep doing it to get any better at this stuff.

Thanks, I did notice my painting skills improve, but failed to see the photography improving, I suppose doing something regularly does help. It's not that I've got better, it's that I can get better results quicker. Look at the nobz and the burna boyz, the burnas are very blurry to say the least.

I did a bit more searching on the gore paint. I bought mine from a model shop for 1.35, a great price and it will last me for quite a while. I also found this tutorial, might have to try the darkening bit, (tutorial).

I've added gore to the nobs too. I'll try to get better pics of everything in a few weeks time. thanks for the encouragement,

jack
(da greenskin)
QUOTE (Kingh on paroxyism vs waaagh banner.)
This is just further proof that none of the 5th Ed Codexes received any play-testing beyond Mat Ward running around the building with a Land Speeder model whilst screaming 'VROOM VROOM'

FREEBOOTA ANTHEM
paintbrush 2010 kill count:

jack da greenskin

jack da greenskin

Loota Boy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,223 posts
what was that about photography? There'll be some better pics coming soon.
Posted ImagePosted Image

my favourites - one scratching his butt, rambork and a biker.
Posted Image
Posted Image

the second part of my threat, a howling griffons dread. I dont know if I should post it here, but what the hell? If anyone is offended by such weedyness, I can remove it and just put a link.
Posted Image
This is just further proof that none of the 5th Ed Codexes received any play-testing beyond Mat Ward running around the building with a Land Speeder model whilst screaming 'VROOM VROOM'

FREEBOOTA ANTHEM

Grokkinz

Grokkinz

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 50 posts
The only appalling thing about your painting is the sheer volume you're able to produce. I tip my hat to you, sir. I find I paint very well, but not with any sort of speed.

jack da greenskin

jack da greenskin

Loota Boy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,223 posts
speed lol, I struggle with one squad a month! and darn, just noticed dread needs name still, and some bullets on a loota arent painted. d'oh, and thanks for the replies.

FREEBOOTA ANTHEM

jack da greenskin

jack da greenskin

Loota Boy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,223 posts
got the nob done, not happy with his bosspole so that's getting redone. apart from that, my first set of slugga boyz are done, 17 months after I purchased them.

Posted Image
Posted Image

FREEBOOTA ANTHEM

glomscient

glomscient

Grot Slave

• Boyz
  • 149 posts
  • Army Name:da bloo bonez
you think that you are slow painters? i still have only ~15 models from aobr finished, and i have had that since december 2008! and at least yours are clean! :P also, i have a friend at school who i persuaded to play warhammer, and he collects howling gryphons too. but i think that the red and yellow need to be more relevant to each other: the yellow is very dirty, but the red is very clean. i think that you should either make the yellow cleaner, or dirty up the red. other than that, it's great!

jack da greenskin

jack da greenskin

Loota Boy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,223 posts

you think that you are slow painters? i still have only ~15 models from aobr finished, and i have had that since december 2008! and at least yours are clean! :P

also, i have a friend at school who i persuaded to play warhammer, and he collects howling gryphons too. but i think that the red and yellow need to be more relevant to each other: the yellow is very dirty, but the red is very clean. i think that you should either make the yellow cleaner, or dirty up the red. other than that, it's great!

agreed on this griffon thing. I cant brighten up the yellow too well, its not in my nature. The red is darker in real life but still could do with another wash. had mine since dec 08 too, but built loads last year, just gave up on painting it :(

I hate hoard armies, and guess what I've just committed to start? 'umies AND tyranids. the horror! I have 28 unpainted units as of yet, I'm just hoping the break in model type will help me paint more.

thanks for the comments.

FREEBOOTA ANTHEM

glomscient

glomscient

Grot Slave

• Boyz
  • 149 posts
  • Army Name:da bloo bonez
wow, you collect the same armies that i do :cheers i am currently focusing on orks, however.

jack da greenskin

jack da greenskin

Loota Boy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,223 posts
Im trying to focus on orks but it's becoming a long slog. This Little army list might help me do a bit more.
-not purchased-
-assembled-
-complete-

HQ:
KFF mek,
Biker boss
troops:
20 grots, 2 herdas
20 grots, 2 herdas
12 boyz, nob, Trukk
12 boyz, nob, Trukk
Nob bikers, orderley
Runtbot/deff dread
heavy:
3 kans, zooka
3 kans, rokkits
3 kans, rokkits

FREEBOOTA ANTHEM

DaCone2

DaCone2

Grot Orderly

• Boyz
  • 183 posts
Your ladz are all looking very nice :) Do you have an army pic of everything you've done? Or any of the stormboyz you have?
Building a Waaagh!

Mmm pie . . .

jack da greenskin

jack da greenskin

Loota Boy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,223 posts

Your ladz are all looking very nice :)

Do you have an army pic of everything you've done? Or any of the stormboyz you have?

I'll try and get a proppa photo of all the lads a bit later, I'm staying over at a friends at the moment. I have stormboy parts on my desk but their wasting away at the moment, I'm missing 5 plaetic jump packs and te other 6 are metal, so I was hoping to do something special with them. I'm basing my stormboyz of eins however, so micro art gas mask heads, chainswords, etc etc.

Thanks for the comments,
jack

FREEBOOTA ANTHEM

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh
Nice progress, jack. I'm doing a bit of catching up on my reading of da Waaagh (damn this RL silliness). I think your paint skills are good and improving. An idea to get some variance and grit in your mobs... take a small thin brush and get the boyz lined up. Start with black (tiny amount) and make small straight lines in random directions on armor, weapons and occasionally clothes. Maybe 2-3 scratches per boy. Then go through with grey. And then brown. And then any of the colors that you used on big items. Then same for metals. Once you're past the blacks and greys you should use lighter colors than the surfaces you are "scratching". If you keep it all random enough it will look like the boyz have been rough-housing it good and plenty. Note that on any individual the scratches may stand out to your eye, but set him down on the table... and put him in with his mob and the effect will be good. Washes are a wonder for getting the boyz done quick but (to my mind) they tend to homogenize a mob quite a bit. Great job. Good to see someone turning out lotsa greenskins. :thumbs Side note... don't flying base the metal stormboyz. Take the word from someone who did - disaster. :( Oh yeah, I like Double Ork Seven for your Bond Ork... although to be proppa I reckon it would be Double Ork Lots. :biggrin
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

jack da greenskin

jack da greenskin

Loota Boy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,223 posts

Nice progress, jack. I'm doing a bit of catching up on my reading of da Waaagh (damn this RL silliness). I think your paint skills are good and improving. An idea to get some variance and grit in your mobs... take a small thin brush and get the boyz lined up. Start with black (tiny amount) and make small straight lines in random directions on armor, weapons and occasionally clothes. Maybe 2-3 scratches per boy. Then go through with grey. And then brown. And then any of the colors that you used on big items. Then same for metals. Once you're past the blacks and greys you should use lighter colors than the surfaces you are "scratching". If you keep it all random enough it will look like the boyz have been rough-housing it good and plenty.

Note that on any individual the scratches may stand out to your eye, but set him down on the table... and put him in with his mob and the effect will be good. Washes are a wonder for getting the boyz done quick but (to my mind) they tend to homogenize a mob quite a bit.

Great job. Good to see someone turning out lotsa greenskins. :thumbs

Side note... don't flying base the metal stormboyz. Take the word from someone who did - disaster. :(

Oh yeah, I like Double Ork Seven for your Bond Ork... although to be proppa I reckon it would be Double Ork Lots. :biggrin

Thanks, I will go back on the few mobs I've done, probably starting with the boyz and lootas as they're the only ones in my "army". I know what you mean about the standing out business, saw some wierd painting today on some tanks but in a squadron they looked superb.
My threat for this month is some grot tanks, but I'm pretty much done on them so I may update it to include some shoota boyz. Don't want to get too far ahead as I've got exams very soon and dont want to get massively distracted.
on the stormboyz, I dont really fancy the frustration of precariously balancing metal models, I'll try it on my plastics though.
double ork lots? lol, I settled for brosnork but he maygo under many alliases, He's part of the dirtee duzen, my kommandos. I wrote a bit of fluff about them for dims comp, and am now getting round to the fun bit of making them.

thanks for the replies, expect grot tank pics by the end of the week.

FREEBOOTA ANTHEM

jack da greenskin

jack da greenskin

Loota Boy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,223 posts
grot tank's status: done!
Posted Image
Posted Image
More finished pics, as well as WIP pics can be seen in the WIP big mek challenge thread :) (by the way, did you knowyou could link a smiley? try it, it looks awesome, click on this ork face and it will take you to the WIP :thumbs Cool eh??

FREEBOOTA ANTHEM

jack da greenskin

jack da greenskin

Loota Boy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,223 posts
God, It's been ages :( well I hit a rut and failed a few threats, these weren't even a threat but I got them done last month for a tourney. Sorry about the one compiled image, I'm thinking of sticking it on CMON.

Posted Image

points of interest... 2nd photo down, 1st grot from the left has a catachan arm with no modification. one next to him and the one directly below him have had an arm swap. next to the twin shoota are some snotlings, horrible sculpts but nice variation to a unit. last shot shows the warpaint, including the smiley face, and the weediest symbol known to orks... a heart. :P

criticisms please.

FREEBOOTA ANTHEM

ShaunCarlin

ShaunCarlin

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 51 posts
  • Army Name:DA ORKZ
I love the painting on these and the Grot tanks are really well made
"We is gonna stomp da universe flat and kill anyfink that fights back. We're da Orks, and we was made ta fight and win."
Waaaghboss Simon sez : no piccies in dem siggies
"Good shootin', boss! Now What we gunna do?"
"A favourite loe deff skwadrun taktik, Gimzod, 'oned to perkection by years of 'ard-won experiance......
...WE LEGS IT, GOOD AN' PROPA!"

jack da greenskin

jack da greenskin

Loota Boy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,223 posts

I love the painting on these and the Grot tanks are really well made

Thanks, and the vindicator grot tanks are getting redone... then maybe a command tank with 2 grotzookas.... and mini deffrolla :D

-not purchased-
-assembled-
-complete-

HQ:
KFF mek
Biker boss
troops:
20 grots, 2 herdas
20 boyz, nob
20 boyz, nob,
Nob bikers,
Deff dread,
heavy:
3 kans, zooka
3 kans, rokkits
3 kans, rokkits

FREEBOOTA ANTHEM

Kleiner Zorn

Kleiner Zorn

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,147 posts
i really like the grot tanks.. simple yet well working conversions

DaMekaniak

DaMekaniak

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz