IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anyone tried the PC game by Cyanide?, i cant win a single match on classic mode
Wurrkop
post Sep 28 2009, 12:48 PM
Post #1

Grot Orderly

Group: Boyz
Member No.: 1,332

but i seem to win all the time in real time mode.

Why cant i figure out classic?

Seems like whatever i do i lose the turn and do nothing, i cant pick up the ball, i cant move around i cant do anything.

--------------------
"Um, Boss?"
"Yer? Worrizit?"
"Itīs me arm, boss. I fink i īurt it."
"Woddyer mean? Yoo fink yoo īurt it?"
"Well i canīt tell fer sure, boss, īcos i canīt find it."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Agatheron
post Sep 28 2009, 07:53 PM
Post #2

Blue Thunda Ace
Group Icon

Group: Nobz
Member No.: 32

I've only ever played in Classic mode... but it helps to read the Blood Bowl manual... It depends on who is trying to pick up the ball, and what you want to do. Classic mode forces you to take the straightforward tactical moves first, and then the riskier moves (such as picking up and throwing a ball) later... because if one of your guys falls down or drops the ball, it's your opponent's turn... and if hardly any of your team moves, you WILL get walked all over. pphhtork.gif

First rule for me is always anybody who has been knocked down, get them back on their feet ASAP. smilingOrk.gif Only throw a block if you have 2 dice advantage, or if someone has block, or a risky end-of-turn shot. Always have throwers pick up the ball, because they have sure hands... but it becomes harder if there is an opponent standing next to the ball.

Unless you're a gobbo... moving away from an opponent is a very risky move.

--------------------
______Agatheron \_______
--Remember, long, uncontrolled bursts,
and indiscriminate target selection.
____________________________/

http://chaplainsbrush.wordpress.com/

+Quote Post
Warboss Grimek
post Oct 20 2009, 11:25 AM
Post #3

Stormboy

Member No.: 10

I just bought and downloaded the game the other day, and got my 2nd game in... I can't say the computer wants you to win any though... I got my first touchdown in the second game after blitzing over half the opposing team with some decent blocks(I managed to set up a trio of 3 dice blocks) early in the second half. I did manage to steal possesion late in the first half though, but got so bogged down trying to maneuver my way out of the giant melee in the middle... After getting my first down, I spend the next possesion again tagging a few runners trying to get by me, 1 dude gets behind my line way over the other end of the field(the ball is on the upper right,nearly their own touchdown zone, the reciever is like 4 squares down from the midfield, and 5 from the left edge. A thrower picks up the ball, dodges a black orc and a lineman, then tosses the ball at max range, through my giant pack, nails the catch and scores a "go for it" long run. The immediate possesion after that, the kick the ball, and I get stonned and have a black ork killed...

During the long bomb play, they also manage to one on one 2 blizters and kill them as well... So in my first campaign game, I lose 240k points of players(a black ork, and 2 blitzers). Lets say I didn't bother to save that campaign... The first time I score a touchdown, and I pay for it with 3 deaths... What the heck?

+Quote Post
Agatheron
post Oct 20 2009, 02:54 PM
Post #4

Blue Thunda Ace
Group Icon

I've managed to win more than I've lost so far, but it sounds like you had some incredibly bad luck in that particular game. I've learned to buy as few inducements as possible with my own money, but spend 'em like a drunken sailor if I'm granted them. I find using Star Players to be fun, but not quite as satisfying as promoting my own team.

Right now the teams I hate to play are Skaven and Human. Skaven because they're so damn fast... and Human because they're almost as tough as Orks but can run faster. I've figured out Dwarfs... don't try to outfight them... outrun 'em, and do passing plays... Skaven and Wood Elves, do what you can to wipe their players off the field ASAP... especially Skaven. Kill them, kill them all. pphhtork.gif

I've tried the huck-the-goblin trick a few times... even got a one-turn touchdown once with it... that was fun. The play went like this... Troll is at the front line flanked by two Black Orcs and a heavy line... Thrower is set to receive and retrieve the ball... First thing I do is punch up the front line, making sure that the squares immediately in front of the troll are clear. The troll is able to assist in the hits, but I need him for something else... Thrower retrieves the ball on a shallow kick, and has enough movement to move up and hand the ball off to the gobbo standing behind the troll... Troll picks up the goblin... hucks him downfield... gobbo lands on his feet and books it into the end zone.

Very risky play, but I've gotten it to work twice smilingOrk.gif And it had more to do with where the ball landed when I received the kick.

I think you had extraordinarily bad luck on that game... cryork.gif

--------------------
______Agatheron \_______

+Quote Post
Hasdrubal
post Oct 21 2009, 03:16 AM
Post #5

Runtherd
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,867

QUOTE (Warboss Grimek @ Oct 20 2009, 11:55 AM) *
I just bought and downloaded the game the other day, and got my 2nd game in... I can't say the computer wants you to win any though... I got my first touchdown in the second game after blitzing over half the opposing team with some decent blocks(I managed to set up a trio of 3 dice blocks) early in the second half. I did manage to steal possesion late in the first half though, but got so bogged down trying to maneuver my way out of the giant melee in the middle... After getting my first down, I spend the next possesion again tagging a few runners trying to get by me, 1 dude gets behind my line way over the other end of the field(the ball is on the upper right,nearly their own touchdown zone, the reciever is like 4 squares down from the midfield, and 5 from the left edge. A thrower picks up the ball, dodges a black orc and a lineman, then tosses the ball at max range, through my giant pack, nails the catch and scores a "go for it" long run. The immediate possesion after that, the kick the ball, and I get stonned and have a black ork killed...

During the long bomb play, they also manage to one on one 2 blizters and kill them as well... So in my first campaign game, I lose 240k points of players(a black ork, and 2 blitzers). Lets say I didn't bother to save that campaign... The first time I score a touchdown, and I pay for it with 3 deaths... What the heck?

As they say, s**t happens. That's just plain bad luck, hopefully it happended to you on the first game. I have the DS version and my skaven team suffered 2 death and 1 missing next game against a dwarf team in their first game...

QUOTE (Agatheron @ Oct 20 2009, 03:24 PM) *
Right now the teams I hate to play are Skaven and Human. Skaven because they're so damn fast... and Human because they're almost as tough as Orks but can run faster. I've figured out Dwarfs... don't try to outfight them... outrun 'em, and do passing plays... Skaven and Wood Elves, do what you can to wipe their players off the field ASAP... especially Skaven. Kill them, kill them all. pphhtork.gif

Playing the faster teams is a bit tricky early on, as they can easily outmaneuver you and have a built-in pass game. You need a deep deployment to secure your mid-fieldand make sure the catchers/gutter runners stay down. Those teams are easier to handle once you advance a blitzer: select tackle as your 1st skill and you should do OK against the squishies.

+Quote Post
Warboss Grimek
post Oct 21 2009, 02:51 PM
Post #6

Stormboy

Member No.: 10

Tried another 2 games today.
The first using goblins against humans. ended 2-1 for the humans. I managed to score the first down by using the fanatic to bowl over the humans after they bunched up(he fractures his hip after taking down 2 blitzers, 2 linemen, and a thrower). They tried to flank me to intercept the gobbo who managed to get the ball deep in my own half, but I managed to clear it with a few tackles and long bomb it down to their half with my pogo. Ran the rest of the way and that was pretty much that. Unfortunately, right after that initial down late in the first half the next half began with my pogo DQ'd and their ogre running up to my 2 troll/1 gobbo sandwich, and then smack the troll to insta-death on the blitz. Things go down hill from there, as my looney gets fouled out after trying to keep the ogre down(my sandwich knocked the ogre over after 2 other gobbos swarm him for back up), and then I proceed to lose 2 more goblins to injury, and for the rest of the half, my team is down to like 7 guys vs their full team... They pretty much blitz or dodge right by my lines... T'was a fun little game running goblins, but harsh then you lose 4 guys 2 rounds into the second half...

The second was orcs against a gobbo team. ended up a 2-2 draw. First half is spent with me intercepting the goblin team, and then killing 2, and injuring 3 other goblins. For one foul out of a linemen for gang stomping their troll(I had 6 guys around the troll, and nothing I could think of doing... Unfortunately, the foul did squat to keep him down and he got up right after. They did manage to long bomb a pass to the lower left flank, and run the rest of the way for a first down. I come back with a rolling cage and trample their line for a 3 round down with a blitzer to end the first half. 2nd round begins with an encore stoning, immediately injuring the same blitzer who score the first down with a broken arm. Since I was in possesion this half, I try to run another cage for a repeat of the previous down. Goblins proceed to tackle and kill(2 goblins vs a black orc and a lineman) a black orc, and then push another black orc out of bounds where he dies too, and then they steal the ball. I get lucky with the next activation, and their round ends with the gobbo running with the ball getting hit and losing the ball as he tried to disengage. I proceed to blitz the surrounding goblins to clear my thrower, and the thrower scrambles for the ball passing to a black orc who was free ran down the field. the remaining 4 guys I have who're still capable clear the tackle zones and a blitzer and lineman runs wingman for another down. At this point, I've got 7 guys left on the field period vs their 10. Goblins proceed to run by me, Killing another black orc on a 2v1 tackle. The trolls gang up and injures my blitzer, knocks down my linemen, then just runs down the corridor. My final possesion sees me with 5 orcs. 1 black orc, 2 blitzers, a thrower and a lineman. I pretty much spend last 4 rounds running away and hoping they don't steal the ball and make another down.

I honestly believe at this point, that if my orcs are in any way ahead, or possibly in position to get ahead at the beginning of the second half, that I will immediately lose one of my best players to stoning, then proceed to lose another pair of my best to freaky tackle-deaths... Almost makes me want to contemplate throwing the first half to make sure that doesn't happen... laughingOrk.gif

+Quote Post
HankHarpoon
post Oct 21 2009, 04:28 PM
Post #7

Mushling

Group: Grotz
Member No.: 7,229

I have to agree with you here. I find the game to be obscenely difficult. i am thinking about picking up the living rulebook (aka my cousin) to come over and tell me if I am missing anything.

I made the mistake of buying the downloaded version so I have a pdf copy of the actual rulebook but no quick reference. And like you Wurrkop it seems that I just cant win. Especially against dwarves... sigh

+Quote Post
Hasdrubal
post Oct 23 2009, 10:25 AM
Post #8

Runtherd
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,867

I tried a wood elf team for a change in strategy, my first game is against skaven (I play the Nintendo DS version while commuting to work, so I play turn by turn). I ended round 2 of the 2nd half this morning having suffered 4 casualties (1 of which would have been a death had I not purchased an apothecary). Hopefully I am leading 1-0 so I can hope to win 2-1 if I let them score around turn 5-6 ^^

+Quote Post
Agatheron
post Oct 23 2009, 05:23 PM
Post #9

Blue Thunda Ace
Group Icon

The living rulebook is essential to understanding the game dynamics. Every time you drop the ball or fall over, it's a turnover, and the advantage goes to your opponent. The strategy with Blood Bowl is to reduce the risk of a turnover for as long as possible. In other words... watch where you run, make sure you gang up on people you hit, and always leave your passing play until after you've moved non-risky players into position. smilingOrk.gif

--------------------
______Agatheron \_______

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version |  Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 11:28 PM