IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Undead Warband, is it worth making this warband?
theclash24
post Jul 26 2009, 08:19 PM
Post #1

Flesh Eater Squig

Group: Grotz
Member No.: 10,484

Is it worth making this warband?

I don't have any rule books besides the one of the GW site and they seem a little...weak at a glimpse besides the vampire and necromancer.

They are fearless, mostly, so routing not really gunna happen. But they will take a beating on everything BUT the vampire. So I'm assuming, till u build up your warband through a campaign, you'll be protecting your vamp until he kicks some baddies...but I don't know how they'd survive besides dodging arrows and bullets.

i was thinking maybe doing a vamp, necro, 3 dregs, 2 dire wolves to travel with my vamp, and some ghouls...but again those ghouls and wolves are expensive, so they will be building hopping around and maybe getting to the enemy...

How would I deal with bigger units like rat ogres, and what not...i guess have necro cast spells on it or vampire try and hit it head on?

I AM A BIG FAN of vampires, so i really wanna do this list.

--------------------
"ARGH! THEY SHOOTIN' AT ME WAGON!"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Electromancer
post Aug 12 2013, 05:31 PM
Post #2

Grot Rigger

Group: Boyz
Member No.: 3,924

I have played a few games with undead and didn't enjoy it that much, basically for the reasons you stated. The vampire is good but not that good, he needs support and wont become a killing machine for several games. Dregs are awful, yeah they are cheap but i'd rather pay more for just a basic human. You also can't do any meaningful shooting so your options are limited, this means that most battles are a bit samey, they didn't really feel like undead to me, i think they should have had a spiece of panzee dungon hero and a couple of more flavorful pieces of gear to buy.

+Quote Post
Redtoof
post Aug 13 2013, 06:16 AM
Post #3

Loota Boy
Group Icon

Group: Snakebitez
Member No.: 390

I think the key to undead in mordhiem is as many zombies as you can fit + all the heros. Then as you progress you replace zombies with dire wolves or ghouls (you will want ghouls as quick as possible as they are the only henchmen who gain experience.)

The vampire is a bad arse and one on one will beat up almost anything with similar experience (I think he even has a reasonable chance against rat ogres and the like), but he will go down if he gets swamped - hence you do the swamping.

Dregs and the necromancer are not so good, although depending on the spell the necro can be useful. You will need them all however to search for wyrdstone after the battle. Best thing to do is probably hide the dregs until they have gained some useful experience.

Main thing is don't think of them as the vampire list. They are the zombie apocalypse list, with added vampire.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Electromancer
post Aug 13 2013, 03:25 PM
Post #4

Grot Rigger

I see a couple of ways to make them when you start, you want the full amount of heroes for sure, then you could pair the vampire with a few dire wolves, depending on the scenario that way you can have a fast response force and a slower force. Or you could do what you say and have loads of zombies, it probably is a safer option as you can bunch everything together and use the zombies as meat shields.

Im not won over on the necromancy spells, they are ok I guess (havent played in a while so havent compared them to the other lores) then it depends on what spell you roll to how you use him, I got the spell where you can move a zombie or dire wolf, it is useful and I pulled off a couple of good moves since you can use the move to charge, but he leveled up slowly since his offense was terrible.

I think the thing with the vampire is that you need to rely on him a lot at the start, but if you are unlucky and lose him you'd be crippled. You can say that about a few of the other warbands but with the undead it is a much bigger problem.

+Quote Post
Redtoof
post Aug 13 2013, 04:06 PM
Post #5

Loota Boy
Group Icon

Group: Snakebitez
Member No.: 390

One thing undead can do that no one else can, is that they can buy a second vampire the game after the 1st one dies, so if you happen to have load of money you can get over the death of your leader. (unlikely though)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Electromancer
post Aug 14 2013, 04:09 AM
Post #6

Grot Rigger

yeah, you pretty much have no choice but to try to buy another one. If you lose him early you'll need to play at least a couple of games (probably more like 3 although it's dependent on luck) without him, that means the necro is the leader and you'd have to be really protective as if he dies your warband is lost. If you lose him late all the skills and weapons he has are lost which would be a big blow as well since he would be well armed and have all your best stuff.

I think you are pretty much guaranteed to lose the games without him, unless your opponents bands were really weak compared to yours. If I was playing against undead with no vamp i'd definitely play really aggressively and try to rack up some easy exp and probably win any scenarios, so the gap in warband power would only increase.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version |  Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 05:49 AM