Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ironhandz' Fortz n' Kartz PLaaaGh!

* * * * * 8 votes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
118 replies to this topic

Ironhands.com

Ironhands.com

Da Ironhanded Git

• Grotz
  • 83 posts
So, to motivate me to get all my new Ork models built and painted, I figured I'd run a Gorka Morka campaign with all 6 clanz represented (not just Gork and Mork, mind you!). Either that, or to support my campaign, I figured I'd make some stuff. I can't decide, and neither will you- on with the Project Log already!

Now I have to admit I actually suck at Plogging. Expect to see one photo of the model right before I primed it, and then the finished work. Oh, and some vaguely meaningful text explaining "Wot da krump yer lookin' at!"

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I am poor. I cannot afford to buy Kans, let alone Deff Dredz. So I made my own.

The Kan is made from an AT-43 Kolossus, 'coz I got a set of 'em cheep from TheWarStore (oops, plug! The spambots are gonna get me! AAaaggh!!!). I added little detail bits from various tank kits. The exaust chimney is from the new Warhammer terrain kits. The powa klaw arm is from an epic Mega-Gargant I've had forever.

The Dread uses parts from the big Matrix walker toy thing (they're just PART of the arm pieces- that thing is HUGE, probably gonna make a Stompa out of the rest of it some day). They're too big, but I like 'em anyway. The feet are landing pads from some GI joe toy I had lying around, and the power cables are actually, er, hair ties. The body is just a PVC coupler with LOADS of bits added.

The Shoota is from the Lootas kit, with some modifications. I made the Rokkit Launcha from a plastic tube and some toy missiles I had lying around. The top of the Dread is a part from the Tehnolog/imex/pegasus Chemical Plant kit. The arm mounts are the rotor mounts from my converted Deffcoptas (more on that later). The arms themselves are, again, from the epic megagargant. Plenty of rivets and chains added for good measure.

Up next: I dunno, buggies? Yeah, look for buggies coming soon...
http://www.ironhands.com
Terrain, Minis, Games, Costumes

BlackSpike

BlackSpike

Loota Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,215 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! BlackSpike
Looking good! Proppa "rivet together whatever da Mek can find" feel to them! :) For buggies, I've got some 1-shop tractors - they are a bit big, but look around for some small ones. I don't play GorkaMorka, only 40k, but the big tractor wheels can ride rough terrain, so count as Rams :) Lets see some more WIP pics, and get some paint on 'em :)
"The Orks are the Pinnacle of Creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We panzee who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn? And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and dismiss it as crude."

reasnd

reasnd

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 276 posts
You don't need a lot of money to play orks, find some stuff and toss it together, it's all good. You've come up with some good conversions here, I think they will look good on the table and being quite unique should attract some attention. All you need to do now is paint them.

Cad@veR

Cad@veR

Gnasher (face eater)

• Grotz
  • 86 posts
  • Army Name:Oomfink's Sneeky gitz
Dead proppa!! :thumbs My only problem is that maybe the claws are a tad too small for a deff dread.

BossNazdreg

BossNazdreg

Syringe Squig

• Grotz
  • 75 posts
  • Army Name:Da yeller peril
Nice, :thumbs I've been wondering about using AT-43 stuff for kanz but i wasn't sure if it'd work, so thanks for demonstrating just how well they kan work (bad pun) BN
Wanna buy a new snazzgun? Never been fired, only been dropped once.

Da Ironz Corzair

Da Ironz Corzair

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 22 posts
  • Army Name:Da Ironz Corsairz
Both the Kanz and da Dread look good. Great conversions!

b0und in3rtia

b0und in3rtia

'Ead Graft

• Blood Axez
  • 718 posts
  • Army Name:Mekunized Blood Axe Deff Core
can you PM me with a link to what you used as the base?? I wanna lewt that and build me some more kanz.
Got Waaaaaaagh!!?!!?!?!?
"Killa Kanz down Deff Coptas up Dis is how we like ta KRUMP!! " -=Looted=-
My Photobucket of Orc stuff.

Spores of Anarchy Ash Waste Nomad Chapter

MaddaMek

MaddaMek

Gargant Krew

• Deathskullz
  • 2,775 posts
  • Army Name:Freak'd out Skulls
Proppa work! I'm currently building My dreadbash (instead of paperbotz glued on bases) from scratch (I'm poor too and I don't like GW Kanz legs), but idea of using different system minis sounds cool. Once again great builds. Actually I start playing Orks because they seem to be the cheapest army in WHOLE GW circus. Really, back in late '90 My LGS import only Boyz boxes (and some blisters), rest of Orky stuff was laying around 1-5 years before someone get them. And now we have AoBR Boyz from eBay :lol
Moldmaking tutorials [part 1] [part2]

Ironhands.com

Ironhands.com

Da Ironhanded Git

• Grotz
  • 83 posts
Fanks, Evvrywun fer yer feedbakkz! Paintz iz comin' soon, I promerse!

@maddamek: Yay, I'm not the only one who finds GW dread legs too dang stumpy! This problem seems to be exasperated even further when applying ever-larger and more comical weapons to them:

http://www.games-wor...otCatGameStyle=

You can just hear this thing going, *patta-patta-patta* *rrt* " Hello there! Call me stumpy!"

@Cad: Yes. The claws are too small. But, it was quick, and easy, and HEY LOOK OVER THERE!!!! (zips away)

@ BlackSpike: Yeah, I used to live near a dollar store that got TONS of cheap toys... I miss that place. Lemme know if you do anything with those tractors, I'd love to see 'em. Speaking of cheap toy conversions, here's my WIP bomma:

Posted Image

And for buggies, I pressed the old GorkaMorka trukks into service, with big fat wheels n' stuff of course.

Posted Image

More coming soon-er-than-later...

-S

jono

jono

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 609 posts
  • Army Name:Evil Goff Rockers
loves 'em also what plane did you base the fighta on???
sorry for spelling!!!:
QUOTE (Gornob Grimgul @ Sep 6 2009, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kommandos are our round peg that fits into whatever square holes we can find, by comparison, MANz are a square peg hammered into any hole you decide to make.
-uses for Kommandoes-

Ranalcus

Ranalcus

Burna Boy

• Blood Axez
  • 400 posts
  • Army Name:Kommanda DurGob Grub-Boyz
Just love that custom trukkz to buggies conversion, perfect size.

Ironhands.com

Ironhands.com

Da Ironhanded Git

• Grotz
  • 83 posts
@jono: The plane was some cheapass made in China battery operated crap toy I picked up many years ago. I knew when I first saw it that it would become a fightabomma... I haven't seen it's like since.

The engines are completely new though, and push the wings out quite a bit. The original cockpit actually broke, I remounted it upside down minus the broken bits. The Tail has been reworked quite a bit.

@ranalcus: Yeah, the GM trukks were tiny. Even the buggy conversions get upsized wheels... BTW, a good source of smaller monstertruck tires are the matchbox - sized toys. My kids have so many, I inevitably step on one and break it (accident, honest! :blush ), keeping parts in steady supply.

Okay, back on track, I managed to get the Dread painted. The colors are a bit odd, so lemme explain:

1. In our GM campaign, the Deathskullz are the most likely to afford one, and
2. I paint my Deathskulls purple. I dunno why, I just do. So without further ado:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Next up... who knows. I have 3 more pieces of terrain to build before I can assemble a complete FORT, so I better get back to that. But eventually I'll get all my projects painted.... honest. :thumbs

reasnd

reasnd

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 276 posts
I have to say that the paint job is just as good as the build, I love him. I never really noticed the legs on this Dread before and think that they are inspirational. Much better than the GW design. Makes him look really imposing, which is exactly what you want your dread to do.

jono

jono

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 609 posts
  • Army Name:Evil Goff Rockers
I want him!!!!! *is jealous*
sorry for spelling!!!:
QUOTE (Gornob Grimgul @ Sep 6 2009, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kommandos are our round peg that fits into whatever square holes we can find, by comparison, MANz are a square peg hammered into any hole you decide to make.
-uses for Kommandoes-

Ironhands.com

Ironhands.com

Da Ironhanded Git

• Grotz
  • 83 posts
Okay, recovered from Squig Flu enough to have a major breakthrough on da Fort. Wot? I dinnun menshun a Fort beefor? 'Kourse I didz, now shaddup you! :whip

Right, here's a coupla wall sections. I need these to make the fort big enough to park a trukk in, right?

fortwalls.jpg

The big breakthru was discovering how easy it is to convert a margarine tub lid into cool curved support beams. This'll come in handy when making ship wreckage in the future! Just cut a circle out of the middle, punch some holes with a hole punch, and emboss rivets along the rim.
http://www.ironhands.com/h2rivet.htm

Job's a good'un!

I also finished the crane I was working on. The claw itself is bitted together with plasticard, bits from the Platformer terrain kit, and some bolts sliced offa some hex rod. The yellow parts are electric fence insulator posts. (the What-What?)

fortcrane.jpg

I've already started painting these, so expect to see them done soon! I mean it! >:

Oh, and I already have these completed shots for the fort. I know I should have posted these sooner, and shown WIP shots... :P Once it's all done, it should be a good sized fort, made up of 8 seperate sections (the crane forms one of the corners).

Fuel Dump- actually, this is the fuel dump and two corner pieces...

Posted Image

Gate- actually this is the gate and two corner pieces...

Posted Image

Dat's all fer now, see yaz once dem paint grotz has finnished! :cheers

Ranalcus

Ranalcus

Burna Boy

• Blood Axez
  • 400 posts
  • Army Name:Kommanda DurGob Grub-Boyz
Gate looks great, all fort looks great. A way better than Gorkamorka paper fort...

swampy

swampy

Steel Teef

• Boyz
  • 695 posts
  • Army Name:ash wastes arsonists
That is one sweet (in a stompy orky way) looking deff dredd the legs are a fearsome, the whole thing is a walking post apocalyptic nightmare :thumbs the fort looks awesome i cant wait to see the bomber thanks for posting great stuff :cheers
"I Luv da smell uv prome-ee-fee-um in da mornin'!"

Ironhands.com

Ironhands.com

Da Ironhanded Git

• Grotz
  • 83 posts
Okay, someone (*koff* jono *AHEM*) wanted steps for the VTOL style deffkopta, so I'm sneaking this in for EVVRYWUN. Sorry it's cobbled together, this'll have to do until I do an official writeup.
"Mumz da werd, dis innt' evin on me webber-sitey fing yet!" ;)

Heerz da partz!
Note the silver colored bits from the IMEX / Pegasus Power Plant terrain kit deal (You can find it online, I have faith in you!):
One gauge-looking thingy, two couplers, two gear thinger-jiggys, and two (unassembled) elbow pipe sections.

Posted Image

Okay, now the steps (as pictured in order below)...

1. Cut off the rotor mount and the tail rotors.
2. Attach the gauge piece to the copta where the rotor mount used to be. Assemble a pipe section, trim off about a half inch from the ribby end, then attach the ribby end of the pipe into the gauge. Attach the gear shaped piece onto the bent end of the pipe by using the coupler piece. Note that you can rotate the pipe around for different jet angles.
3. Once both jets are on, make a tail boom from sprue (or steal one from the Warhammer Fortified Manor building kit like I did). Attach it onto the back of the copter where the tail rotor used to be.
4. Cut just the fins off the tail rotor piece and mount it to the tail boom. You may need to trim the tail boom so the fins sit level.
5. Add extra gunz and rokkits! Waaagh!!!

Posted Image

Confused? Me too. Mekboyz don't plan very well, do we? :?

Aaaaaanyway, here's the three versions I made for our GM campaign.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Waaaa-hahaha!!!!! :dakka

darkar0n

darkar0n

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 50 posts
  • Army Name:Mekz Vetz
Nice Jetbikes, Very orky. I would think some smoke coming out of one of the jets would really finish the entire thing.

dinox4

dinox4

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 15 posts
  • Army Name:Dagga Golgotha's Waagh! of Flukiness
I agree some cotton wool sprayed black would bring them to life a bit, but I must say brilliant paint jobs for all this stuff!
You WILL be a winner today. Pick a fight with a four year-old.