Blakkreaper
post Mar 24 2009, 12:30 PM
Post #1

Da Ladz Wrangler
Group Icon

Group: Freebooterz
Member No.: 2,068

"Yeah, but wouldn't it be awesome if. . . "
Why if? Why not "---- Yeah! That's awesome!" ?

The Rules as Awesome Unofficial FAQ

In this thread, I'm setting up a very unofficial FAQ for the waaagh. But it’s going to be quite different to the normal FAQ where the bosses have attempted to work out what the rules say. ITT I'll throw RAW out the window, followed by RAI, and rule solely on basis of RAA - Rules as Awesome.Some of you might recognise the idea from some of my older posts - it might not be how it does work, but bleep.gif it, its how it *should* work. This FAQ will not be definitive. This FAQ will not even be right a lot of the time. It will be fun, and perfectly suitable for home games where you've agreed to use this RAAFAQ beforehand. Think of it as a set of home rules, for a relaxed environment as opposed to a true FAQ. There will be rule changes. There will be crazy. There will be awesome, proppa and over the top decisions.

So post up questions, from all armies (we might be orkses, but fun skumgrods are better then boring ones) of the unanswered and debatable types. Post up with things that don't feel right, or just ideas on making something work better awesomer.

--------------------
Cheerz to Thork for the Great Avvy.
Genrul blakkreaper ov da dreadsokk korpz - fightin' Ruleslawyer gitz and keepin' it proppa.
Let's gross our fingers and sacraface pot Blood Red to Bitz God... [Morhgoz]
I oppose RAW evil; or, more importantly; The Dice Gods oppose RAW evil. [Andrew the Eternal's proppa hiaku]

"Giving Krooza an idea, now prooven to be just as bad as saying 'Go on Dim, rant away!" [Dim Reepa]
"We don't have a Battle Tank. We have a glorified transport that eats people." "like a surgical sledgehammer." [GrogDaTyrant]
Now plugging: Da Klanz Projekt MkIII, Ladz of da waaagh kompetishun Rules As Awesome: Unofficial FAQ and Grimdark Frontier (a WiP 40k CivIV mod)
Like Heroic Fantasy? Check out my writers blog. Orcs appear from time to time, and they're proppa.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Blakkreaper
post Mar 24 2009, 12:41 PM
Post #2

Da Ladz Wrangler
Group Icon

RAAFAQ

Orks

Trucks and ramming
I’m going to start with one of the biggest bugbears for orks – ramming trucks. An a awesome basis, it only makes sense. I mean, what could be orkier then charging headfirst into a tank, backed only with a spike mounted on what could barely be described as a chassis and might be more accurately be called partial engine housing by a more safety conscious race.

A re-enforced ram will allow an ork vehicle to ram, as if it were a tank and it will gain the +2 AV (to a max of 14) for ramming attacks as well.

Optionally, in addition to this, ork vehicles without a ram may do an ‘Improvised Ram’ attack. Treat as per a normal ram, but roll damage to the ramming vehicle first. If it is still mobile (which includes intact, so can’t be stunned, immobilized, or destroyed) then roll for damage against the other vehicle. NB: Improvised ram attacks are largely useless against any real tanks as shown by this example of a buggy doing an ‘improvised ram’ against AV12. Buggy rams at full speed (18”) S2 (2AV over AV10) + 6 (+1S/3”) + 1 (tank) = S9 hit on the buggy. If it is still mobile (only possible at this stage via rolling a weapon destroyed or crew shaken result) it inflicts a S0 (0AV over AV10) + 6 (+1S/3” moved) + 0 (not a tank) – S6 hit on the vehicle in question. Damaging it is improbable, but possible. As such it should only be performed in moments of desperation, sheer cunning, insanity of speedfreek proppaness.

Deffrolling vehicles

Now onto the other bugbear of orks lately – can a deffrolla be used in a ramming attack against a vehicle?

Not only do I unequivocally say yes, but I go further, and say this is what they should be used for. What’s more awesome then monster-battlewagoning an artillery company? Doing a 3 pt turn and going again!

Battlewagons equipped with deffrollas may use them in a deff or glory attack, as per the bossez FAQ note on how it works if you permit this rule.

Don't Press Dat!

why does "Don't Press Dat!" stop for friendly units? Such a courteous malfunction! Why not?

The looted wagon moves full speed +1d6 inches straight ahead. Any non-vehicle units (friend or foe) in the path are subject to a Tank Shock. Any vehicles or buildings in the path are subject to a Ram. If the vehicle's path hits impassible terrain or the board edge, the looted wagon is subject to a Vehicle Explodes! damage result at the point where its path reaches said terrain. Waah-HEE!

Glory Hogz
This rule is a bugbear to most ork players, as it makes tankbustas act as if they were stupid, as opposed to just obsessed about bagging the big tanks. So I've thought up a replacement rule, that should work more like they're just tank hunting madorks.

Tankbusta units must fire at and assault any vehicle unit in range. If multiple vehicles are in range, they must shoot/charge the "most 'ard" one, which is the one with the highest total armour value (which is worked out by adding up Front, Side and Rear AV). If more then one vehicle is the "most 'ard" they may chose out of these. A tankbusta may decide to run, rather then shoot at a tank in range. Tankbustas may only run towards the closest vehicle at any time.

Biker Armies needing SCs

Why is wazzadakka the only mek to lead a biker KoS? In the big bad 40k universe there must be plenty others, and so:

Add this entry to Ork Wargear, Other Equipment:
Bike Boss Banna: Allows Warbiker mobs to be taken as troop choices. This wargear option supercedes a warboss's Da Big Boss or a big mek's Da Big Mek special rules.

Add this entry to Orks Army List, HQ, Warboss and Big Mek Options:
If riding a warbike, may take a:
-Bike Boss Banna.......+40 points

General

Expendable Units
Now 'umie players have been complaining about the new kill point rules, and rightly so. The 40k universe is supposed to be uncaring, so those 10 men should be worthless in the eyes of their commander, unless they’re actually achieving something. This also applies to gretchin and lone buggies – they aren’t of great value to the warboss, so he should be encouraged to throw them away. In addition fleeing units always counting as destroyed means that they aren’t wiped out, and are ignored in light of new threats; this is a situation that I find ot be lacking in grim and dark. I have created an alternate system to encourage unit expendability, and the wiping out of units/destruction of vehicles:

Units worth less then 50 points (not inclusive) are “worthless” and are worth no KP to the opponent, but are unable to capture objectives (they may still contest them)
Units worth 50-99 points are “expendable” and are worth half a KP
Units worth 100-199 points are worth 1kp as per normal. However if they are running at the end of the battle (not off the table or destroyed) or are immobile they are worth ½ kp to the enemy – they haven’t deserted and may regroup and fight again. Vehicle Exploded results are worth 1.5kp, as they represent killing the crew, and reducing the opponents vehicles to smoking wrecks.
Units worth 200-299 points are “important” are worth 2kp. If they are fleeing/immobilized they are worth1 kp and if they are wreaked they are worth 2.5 kp.
Units worth 300-399 points are “valuable” are worth 3kp. If they are fleeing/immobilized they are worth 1.5 kp and if they are wreaked they are worth 3.5 kp.

Vehicle Squadrons are calculated as a squadron, and work differently to normal vehicles. If the squadron is under half strength they are worth half the kill points awarded for destroying them all, and each vehicle exploded result is worth ½ a kp each.

Independent characters and monstrous creatures are another separate case. They are worth ½ a kp for every wound scored on them, with a bonus ½ kp for killing him/forcing him to flee the table or if he is fleeing at the end of the game. They ignore the units victory points system entirely. This means a 1W IC is worth 1KP to kill, a 2W is worth ½ a KP to wound or 1 ½ kp to kill, and a 3W IC is ½ a KP to wound, 1 KP to wound twice or 2 KP to kill. A 6W IC (eg. greater deamon of nurgle iirc) is worth a total of 3.5KP if you finish him off.

Artillery are calculated as per units, but each ‘big gun’ or artillery piece is worth an additional ½ a KP to destroy.

Unit Points
0-49 “worthless”
0KP

50-99 “expendable”
½KP

100-199 “useful”
1KP

200-299 “important”
2KP

300-300 “valuable”
3KP

+100 . . . .
+1KP

Modifiers
Fleeing/Immobilized
x ½ (is worth half the KP value the unit is worth to destroy)

Exploded (only applies to vehicles 100 points upward)
+ ½ KP (in addition to the normal KP awarded)

Squadron under half original strength
x ½ (is worth half the KP value the squadron is worth to destroy)

Artillery Gun destroyed
+ ½ KP (in addition to the normal KP awarded)

Independent Characters & Monstrous Creatures
Wounded (per wound inflicted)
½ KP

Killed (reduced to 0W) or Deserted (fled off table)
½ KP

Fleeing at end of game
½ KP

--------------------
Genrul blakkreaper ov da dreadsokk korpz - fightin' Ruleslawyer gitz and keepin' it proppa.
I oppose RAW evil; or, more importantly; The Dice Gods oppose RAW evil. [Andrew the Eternal's proppa hiaku]

"Giving Krooza an idea, now prooven to be just as bad as saying 'Go on Dim, rant away!" [Dim Reepa]
"We don't have a Battle Tank. We have a glorified transport that eats people." "like a surgical sledgehammer." [GrogDaTyrant]
Now plugging: Da Klanz Projekt MkIII, Ladz of da waaagh kompetishun Rules As Awesome: Unofficial FAQ and Grimdark Frontier (a WiP 40k CivIV mod)
Like Heroic Fantasy? Check out my writers blog. Orcs appear from time to time, and they're proppa.

+Quote Post
Orkeosaurus
post Mar 24 2009, 12:47 PM
Post #3

Tankbusta Boy
Group Icon

Group: Grot Rebelz
Member No.: 6,794

No offense, but I think It'd almost be easier to just use the 4th ed Victory Point rules.

--------------------
"Feer iz only justiss: quik, mean and unstopible; it is den somefing dat's gud. Its not uh seprit fing as much as itz a nacherul part uv da hole idea uv da Revulooshun, used fer da most importint cause uv da grots." --- Attributed to Da Red Gobbo

+Quote Post
Utan
post Mar 24 2009, 12:57 PM
Post #4

Steel Hornz

Group: Boyz
Member No.: 4,474

Hardly "Awesome" but the rules could certainly be fun. I hardly ever have KP missions so I didn't bother readin through those (sorry).

Here's one: why does "Don't Press Dat!" stop for friendly units? Such a courteous malfunction! Why not?

Don't Press Dat!

The looted wagon moves full speed +1d6 inches straight ahead. Any non-vehicle units (friend or foe) in the path are subject to a Tank Shock. Any vehicles or buildings in the path are subject to a Ram. If the vehicle's path hits impassible terrain or the board edge, the looted wagon is subject to a Vehicle Explodes! damage result at the point where its path reaches said terrain. Waah-HEE!

--------------------
Dis iz da Waaagh! ooniverse.

+Quote Post
DAKKABU
post Mar 24 2009, 04:44 PM
Post #5

Wreckage loota
Group Icon

Group: Deathskullz
Member No.: 3,115

Utan, that is awesome!

--------------------
QUOTE (Nikbash @ Apr 1 2009, 12:03 AM) *
"If yer aint green, blue wearin, loot luvin, lucky, back talkin, PK stealin, choppa thievin, kustom job usin, mo dakka shootin, tatoo covered, MORK luvin, scrap collectin, skumgrod scavagin, nickin lootz den yer aint proppa."

Masta Loota: No one ever said you had to loot from your enemies!

+Quote Post
RandomUsername
post Mar 24 2009, 05:24 PM
Post #6

Tankbusta Boy
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,570

QUOTE (Utan @ Mar 24 2009, 01:27 PM) *
Don't Press Dat!

Perhaps if it hits board edge it should go into reserve instead? Can try to come back from reserve from next turn onwards (of course only from the table edge that it exited from).

--------------------
''Socializing is what keeps us looking similar to real people.'' -- DAKKABU

Hi, my name's Random and I'm a washoholic...

+Quote Post
Orkeosaurus
post Mar 24 2009, 05:32 PM
Post #7

Tankbusta Boy
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,794

How about if you roll a 1 for your stormboys rocket packs, the model is replaced by a S5 AP6 blast (scattering as normal)?

--------------------
"Feer iz only justiss: quik, mean and unstopible; it is den somefing dat's gud. Its not uh seprit fing as much as itz a nacherul part uv da hole idea uv da Revulooshun, used fer da most importint cause uv da grots." --- Attributed to Da Red Gobbo

+Quote Post
Oddballz
post Mar 24 2009, 08:19 PM
Post #8

He who was Snord
Group Icon

Group: Nobz
Member No.: 175

Good stuff - interestingly, the latest WD includes an article where Jervis comments approvingly on people changing the rules to suit their style. You could go a lot further with this kind of idea, like coming up with tables of random effects for various weapons. A boomgun, for instance, could fire shells that range from a warhead packed with squig-fuel that causes an extra powerful blast to a dud that cooks off in the breech.

--------------------
Oddballz

"If you wants to understan' an enemy, you gotta walk a mile in his shoes. Den, if he's still your enemy, at least you're a mile away and he's got no shoes." Plateau, trollish philosopher

+Quote Post
Grimwall
post Mar 25 2009, 05:33 AM
Post #9

Runtherd
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,446

Well, I guess RAA sounds more dignified than my own contribution, RATS (Rules as they should (be)).

+Quote Post
Blakkreaper
post Mar 25 2009, 01:11 PM
Post #10

Da Ladz Wrangler
Group Icon

QUOTE (Utan @ Mar 25 2009, 03:27 AM) *
Hardly "Awesome" but the rules could certainly be fun. I hardly ever have KP missions so I didn't bother readin through those (sorry).

Here's one: why does "Don't Press Dat!" stop for friendly units? Such a courteous malfunction! Why not?

Don't Press Dat!

Cheers mate. The KP rules basically encouraged people to throw away cheap units carelessly and finish wiping out fleeing units, keeping the far dark future grim *and* dark.

This kind of thing is exactly the kind of reaction I wanted, and has been assumed into the rules post.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaddaMek
post Mar 25 2009, 06:20 PM
Post #11

Gargant Krew
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,783

I would go with idea of Warbuggies piloted by Squigs and loaded with LOTS of explosives (upgrade like shorcha). And with "ride to/through nearest enemy" Just like some sort of big metal Bomb Squig, har har har thumbs.gif

--------------------
6th edition army test:
Can You shoot back at triple Heldrake, quad Scythe list?

Moldmaking tutorials [part 1] [part2]

+Quote Post
Whap
post Mar 26 2009, 04:03 PM
Post #12

Big Gun Krew

Member No.: 8,721

QUOTE (Oddballz @ Mar 25 2009, 12:49 AM) *
A boomgun, for instance, could fire shells that range from a warhead packed with squig-fuel that causes an extra powerful blast to a dud that cooks off in the breech.

Boomgun, S D6+4, AP D6, otherwise the same, target first, roll S, roll AP, roll scatter.

Fluffwise the gretchin who make the shells get bored and pack 'em full of random stuff. Sometimes some grass, sometimes some napalm. Like a kinder egg. Of death.

An elite unit with "long barrel shootaz" called Sniperz. They're a hideous meeting between the miltary style of the Stormboyz, and the patience of the Kommandoz. Sacrifice 2 WS for a BS. The sniper rifles are just shootaz with Sniper and S X.

A wargear, "controllable" bombsquig. It can choose to explode at any time (Ork shooting phase) in a fiery S6 AP4 Ord. Large Blast. Starts at the base of the unit or character that used it, and moves 12" in a direction of the user's choice (It can explode in this turn). Always can move upto 12". Like a 18" synapse from the using unit, only instead of moral, it's a scatter. When it dies (T2 Sv - W1) roll a dice. 1,2,3, it's a dud, 4,5,6, BOOM!! When assaulted it asplodes. If it dies to dangerous terrain, that terrain is removed before the explosion. Tank shock, rear armour -1 (underneath). This thing should cost about 20 points. Maybe I overpowered it.

--------------------
Warboss Killcount:
Gaunts (32)
Carnifexes (1)
Hive Tyrants (1)
Monoliths (1)

+Quote Post
orkhead
post Mar 26 2009, 10:18 PM
Post #13

Grot Oiler

Member No.: 6,689

If your going in this direction have you put any thought into the Bomb squig? It is suppossed to chase down the veichle so why doesn't it always damage the back armor? i'm going off the idea of all the old cartoon dog car chase sceens. The squig would be rite on the viechle or under it either way should deal damage the same as if it were in CC.

i love the Don't press that changes.

--------------------
WWAAAAGGGHHH!!!!!

+Quote Post
Blakkreaper
post Mar 28 2009, 04:31 AM
Post #14

Da Ladz Wrangler
Group Icon

QUOTE (orkhead @ Mar 27 2009, 12:48 PM) *
If your going in this direction have you put any thought into the Bomb squig? It is suppossed to chase down the veichle so why doesn't it always damage the back armor? i'm going off the idea of all the old cartoon dog car chase sceens. The squig would be rite on the viechle or under it either way should deal damage the same as if it were in CC.

i love the Don't press that changes.

Hmmm, I think its more trained to run at the vehicle from whever its standing. Also, balence-wise that's just giving the orks a big bonus, for no real reason. I am going to work on glory hogz though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dim_Reapa
post Mar 28 2009, 08:03 AM
Post #15

Ban Stikk Target
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,598

QUOTE (Blakkreaper @ Mar 28 2009, 09:01 AM) *
I am going to work on glory hogz though.

Glory Hogz: Ork Tankbustas love watching things go boom. Especially Tanks. Fortunately, living things tend to go boom in moderately spectacular ways. They get boring after a while, but living, squishy things do tend to make a habit of gesturing angrily at Tankbustas for blowing their tanks up, or generally getting in the way and preventing them from getting closer to more tanks. When using Tankbustas, we, that is GW, understand that you are smart enough to take note of their preference of target, and bear that in mind when deciding what to shoot. The unit operates as normal, with no pointlessly restrictive rules in place to cement the logic that seems to escape the Ork player when noting the word 'Tank' in their name and description.

However, should they fail a leadership test, before applying the result, check if any tanks are in range. Roll the scatter dice. On a HIT result, they fire at the closest tank (or closest enemy tank). On an arrow, they fire at any tank in that direction or tank closest to it. If there is nothing in that direction, they do not shoot and flee. If they destroy the target tank (friend or foe) elated in their success, they automatically rally.

This rule should have no effect in assault, but never mind - if they get in the way of the Rokkits, that's their lookout.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Blakkreaper
post Mar 30 2009, 01:34 AM
Post #16

Da Ladz Wrangler
Group Icon

@Dim: By going to I did mean in the very short term, and posted one up probably half an hour later in hte first post. To compare:

Glory Hogz
This rule is a bugbear to most ork players, as it makes tankbustas act as if they were stupid, as opposed to just obscessed about bagging the big tanks. So I've thought up a replacement rule, that should work more like they're just tank hunting madorks.

Tankbusta units must fire at and assault any vehicle unit in range. If multiple vehicles are in range, they must shoot/charge the "most 'ard" one, which is the one with the highest total armour value (which is worked out by adding up Front, Side and Rear AV). If more then one vehicle is the "most 'ard" they may chose out of these. A tankbusta may decide to run, rather then shoot at a tank in range. Tankbustas may only run towards the closest vehicle at any time.

Now, can I get some opinions on which rule you ladz (and ladetz) like, on the criteria of fun and aweosme?

--------------------

+Quote Post
GrogDaTyrant
post Mar 30 2009, 10:55 AM
Post #17

Mr Angry
Group Icon

Member No.: 246

This thread is Epic Awesomeness, given chocolate syrup and sprinkles!

In any case, Glory Hogs I think should just be 'Must shoot at the closest enemy vehicle if it is the closest enemy unit. Any assault moves must likewise be made towards the closest vehicle if it is the closest enemy unit. Tankbustas may forgo shooting, in order to run closer towards the nearest enemy vehicle.' I mainly like this route, as one thing I've found highly annoying with Tankbustas currently, is that an assault squad can land 8" away from them (intent on charging them the next turn), and if there's even one Rhino 42" away and in LOS, the TBs can't do anything except try to move around the Assault Beakies.

--------------------
QUOTE (Fact Core, from Portal 2)
-Whales are twice as intelligent and three times as delicious as humans.

-In Victorian England, a commoner was not allowed to look directly at the Queen due to a belief at the time that the poor had the ability to steal thoughts. Science now believes that less than four percent of poor people are able to do this.

+Quote Post
Skriznack
post Mar 30 2009, 11:00 AM
Post #18

Shoota Boy

Member No.: 4,292

No, i think the current RAA ruling is pretty good for glory hogs. if the TB's are in range of a tank they should be shooting it because they're crazy and care more about bagging the tank than preserving their own lives. At the same time they can shoot that assault squad instead of being forced to fire at that rhino that's out of range.

Tankbustas should be hunting tanks but they shouldn't be forced to chase after targets out of their range.

--------------------
The traditional Finnish man only ever talks when something is wrong. If something is good, silence will be kept to the grave. ~Jaakko

+Quote Post
Blakkreaper
post Mar 30 2009, 11:55 AM
Post #19

Da Ladz Wrangler
Group Icon

QUOTE (GrogDaTyrant @ Mar 31 2009, 01:25 AM) *
This thread is Epic Awesomeness, given chocolate syrup and sprinkles!

Thanks grog biggrin2.gif . I did start this thread for more then jsut compliments, so
In any case, Glory Hogs I think should just be 'Must shoot at the closest enemy vehicle if it is the closest enemy unit. Any assault moves must likewise be made towards the closest vehicle if it is the closest enemy unit. Tankbustas may forgo shooting, in order to run closer towards the nearest enemy vehicle.' I mainly like this route, as one thing I've found highly annoying with Tankbustas currently, is that an assault squad can land 8" away from them (intent on charging them the next turn), and if there's even one Rhino 42" away and in LOS, the TBs can't do anything except try to move around the Assault Beakies.

I think its this or mine. Is the toughest tank thing too complicated? Also, They shouldn't be forced at the closest vehicle - or I could use a buggy to protect my BW, which seems odd.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GrogDaTyrant
post Mar 30 2009, 12:01 PM
Post #20

Mr Angry
Group Icon

Member No.: 246

QUOTE (Blakkreaper @ Mar 30 2009, 09:25 AM) *
I think its this or mine. Is the toughest tank thing too complicated? Also, They shouldn't be forced at the closest vehicle - or I could use a buggy to protect my BW, which seems odd.

Hmm... tough to say. I see what you're saying there as it would be easy to put a throw-away distraction in front in order to draw their attention. I don't think the toughest tank is too complicated, but maybe keep it to just the highest front armor values with the Ork player's choice if there's a tie?

--------------------
QUOTE (Fact Core, from Portal 2)
-Whales are twice as intelligent and three times as delicious as humans.

-In Victorian England, a commoner was not allowed to look directly at the Queen due to a belief at the time that the poor had the ability to steal thoughts. Science now believes that less than four percent of poor people are able to do this.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version |  Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 12:02 PM