IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sukigod and a Battlewagon, Jumping on the Battlewagon, uh.... bandwagon.
Rating 5 V
Nozeminer
post Jan 25 2009, 10:57 PM
Post #21

Glorifier of Grotz
Group Icon

Group: Deathskullz
Member No.: 2,307

That's a great idea for the guns, for those that prefer their wagons with a lower profile.

The widened grill fits in perfectly with the rest of the model. I'm liking all of the attention you're giving to the little details. Keep it up. thumbs.gif

I'll be adding this thread to my list of resources when I get my convertable battlewagon.

--------------------
Yoo kin pikk yer Warboss an' yoo kin pikk yer noze. But, yoo kant pikk yer Warbossez noze.

"Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

Kromlech for all your Orky goodness.

Nozeminer Studioz
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Oddballz
post Jan 25 2009, 11:08 PM
Post #22

He who was Snord
Group Icon

Group: Nobz
Member No.: 175

Interesting. This is where DokNuk got to - the widened hull makes the wheels look a bit narrow. I think making use of the extra frontal space to mount the big gun was a good idea. I'm not sure what you intend the mounting to look like. I would have thought something like the 75mm mount on the Lee/Grant or Char B1 would look good:

Attached Image
Attached Image

Also, presumably the left side door has to go, since the gun blocks it completely.

--------------------
Oddballz

"If you wants to understan' an enemy, you gotta walk a mile in his shoes. Den, if he's still your enemy, at least you're a mile away and he's got no shoes." Plateau, trollish philosopher

+Quote Post
Lemmingspawn
post Jan 25 2009, 11:33 PM
Post #23

Ammo Runt

Group: Boyz
Member No.: 4,469

Dammit! I was doing something like that with my second wagon! Goshdarnit! smilingOrk.gif Nice work on the grill smilingOrk.gif

Someone suggested to me widening the tread of the wheels with plasticard. Could be something that will make the wheels look a little less weedy...

+Quote Post
Sukigod
post Jan 26 2009, 10:28 AM
Post #24

Flash Git

Member No.: 1,992

@Oddballz: I had thought of something similar (based on the Leman Russ Lascannon treatment) for a gun mount but it all seemed a bit too weedy and I liked the "open air" feeling of leaving the top open a bit to fit the kannons elevation - and you get to see more of the interior (drat, that means more details...) This will also make planning the magnets and how to swap out the guns easier. I'm also planning to leave the side door open, the gun sits more forward than it looks in these pics.

I've also been thinking about how to solve the "now the wheels are weedy' problem caused by the extra width. Lemmingspawn mentioned (post before this one) plasticarding extra width on the wheels but honestly, that seems like way too much work to get it right. I think what I'll try first is adding a fender plate that'll run over the wheels, attached to the side/bottom of the cab and have it run down and then under the nose of the cab. I know it won't actually widen the wheels but I'm hoping it'll cover enough of the wheels and make them look wider as the fenders/farings will cover where the wheels end (and be wider) from the front view.

(quick and dirty PS for concept...)

I'm figuring (hoping) that this will blend the wheels into the ram (not the one in the box) making the size of the wheel moot.

Thanks for the encouragement and feedback everyone!

--------------------

+Quote Post
kakita
post Jan 26 2009, 11:54 AM
Post #25

Snotling

Member No.: 9,526

Holy cow. That's amazing. I wholly believe that once painted up everyone will think it came straight out of GW. I'm not sure about the wheels though... part of me thinks it'd be better if the BW had a lower profile...

--------------------
Here Be Geeks, a minis, games and comics blog

My Coolmini Site

+Quote Post
DocNuK
post Jan 26 2009, 02:05 PM
Post #26

'Ard Boy

Member No.: 3,744

if you close the front gab under the grill as the easiest solution it suddenly isn't so bad with the wheels anymore.
(look at the pic of DKoK here)

maybe adding a big axel will help between the two wheels?
but is that really necessary. the frotn will get a deffrolla and/or a ram and most of this problem will be hide.smilingOrk.gif

now i'm happy the roof of my bw isn't glued. i will shamelesly try to loot the idea of mounting a weapon there (but only a bs)
thanks for this.

--------------------
In the end, it was the Sunday afternoons he couldn't cope with, and that terrible listlessness which starts to set in at about 2:55, when you know that you've had all the baths you can usefully have that day, that however hard you stare at any given paragraph in the papers you will never actually read it, or use the revolutionary new pruning technique it describes, and that as you stare at the clock the hands will move relentlessly on to four o'clock, and you will enter the long dark teatime of the soul.

+Quote Post
Biv
post Jan 26 2009, 08:50 PM
Post #27

Looted Russ Gunner
Group Icon

Group: Freebooterz
Member No.: 56

I have got a really nutter idea. Drop the floor of the wagon so it rides closer to the ground. Then *gulp* cut the tires in half. Then you can have twice as many tires and it looks like double tires inset into the wagons.
Terrible example here:

--------------------
Step 1: Collect orks
Step 2: ...
Step 3: Waaaaaaaaagh!

+Quote Post
Sukigod
post Jan 31 2009, 09:37 PM
Post #28

Flash Git

Finally figured out how to (and what parts I'm going to use) attach the swappable guns - and here it is. Not much of an update but it's done and now I can move on to closing up the rest of the cab, close up the gap underneath (I think I'll take DocNuks idea there too) and start moving on to the back deck area. Yeah - progress!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Oddballz
post Jan 31 2009, 10:02 PM
Post #29

He who was Snord
Group Icon

Group: Nobz
Member No.: 175

I'm not too bothered with swappable guns (I've never really been a fan of switching weapons on models), although your approach to it is much more sophisticated than most others I've seen. What I'm liking is the way you've modelled the gun position. Very nice - again, I love the way your modifications match the rest of the kit thumbs.gif

It seems to me that, given that the Battlewagon is meant to have AV14 on the front, the big gun should have a gunshield, even though there's not much room for one.

When I saw this I looted the idea immediately, although in a far less ambitious way - my Battlewagon now has a big shoota mounted in the same position.

--------------------
Oddballz

"If you wants to understan' an enemy, you gotta walk a mile in his shoes. Den, if he's still your enemy, at least you're a mile away and he's got no shoes." Plateau, trollish philosopher

+Quote Post
Lemmingspawn
post Jan 31 2009, 10:16 PM
Post #30

Ammo Runt

Member No.: 4,469

Hey nice gun emplacement! I didn't think of doing it like that! Cool...

+Quote Post
HVNSNTSOLDIER
post Jan 31 2009, 10:27 PM
Post #31

Slugga Boy
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,075

Kool weapons swap. Reminds me of a german mortar bunker with treads. Kan't wait ta see more!

--------------------
The only reason flamethrowers exist is due to the fact that one day, someone asked themself "Hey, I want to see those people over there on fire, but I'm not close enough to get the job done."

They say the pen is mightier than the sword. Total bull! You don't see Scarface running around screaming "Say hello to my LITTLE PEN!" now do you?

http://www.magmaker.co.nr/1337-speak
Stop "1337-speak"!

Grimmek's Waaagh Kareer
W:2 T:3 L:9

+Quote Post
Sukigod
post Feb 20 2009, 09:19 PM
Post #32

Flash Git

After a couple of weeks off to work on a 50 hour trivia marathon, I'm back. (whew)

I've actually puttered my way through the last month with short spurts of work here and there, not enough in one sitting though to make a difference. The biggest difference is in the back, closing up the rear entrance and finishing off the tailgate. I'm adding a boarding plank from the trukk kit to one side and I'm dithering between another small platform on the other side or a large set of exhausts (I'm leanign towards exhausts). I also close up the gap bewteen the wheels up front wit ha rhino door plate. Worked pretty well.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get a sort of "running board" over the front wheels that mesh/weld into a platform that extends from the doors to put two big shoota "nests" out the side doors. This way, my four big shootas setup has two out of the back bed and one out of each door. This should give my expected Kill Kannon (scratch built, of course) so be a nice focal point when installed, yet give the wagon a nice low, lean look when not using the kill kannon.

Now with more time on my hands the pace should pick up somewhat. Besides, I 've got to hurry up and finish so I can start the Stompa as soon as it comes in. (and I will be putting the BW cab/gob head on..... that looks sooooo cool).

til later!

--------------------

+Quote Post
DocNuK
post Feb 21 2009, 05:40 AM
Post #33

'Ard Boy

Member No.: 3,744

the back looks very good, i will loot that when i build the next one laughingOrk.gif
i also tried a boarding plank at the open space where you put it, but i found it difficult to glue in a proper positions.
seeing the light angle of yours, you had the problem too. smilingOrk.gif

why not copying the shape of the back to the front? to cover the front wheels in similar way?

--------------------
In the end, it was the Sunday afternoons he couldn't cope with, and that terrible listlessness which starts to set in at about 2:55, when you know that you've had all the baths you can usefully have that day, that however hard you stare at any given paragraph in the papers you will never actually read it, or use the revolutionary new pruning technique it describes, and that as you stare at the clock the hands will move relentlessly on to four o'clock, and you will enter the long dark teatime of the soul.

+Quote Post
Sukigod
post Feb 21 2009, 08:58 AM
Post #34

Flash Git

QUOTE (DocNuK @ Feb 21 2009, 04:10 AM) *
the back looks very good, i will loot that when i build the next one laughingOrk.gif
i also tried a boarding plank at the open space where you put it, but i found it difficult to glue in a proper positions.
seeing the light angle of yours, you had the problem too. smilingOrk.gif

I haven't glued in the other pivot point so the boarding plank doesn't get in my way/flop around all the time while I'm working on it. Hopefully it'll sit straight when I glue it in. It'll be one of the last things to attach.

As for the front wheels, I'm looking at a couple of different options there. Fenders are one. Another idea is a wrap around ram, like in the codex, very spikey/toofy. I'm also going to explore a dozer style blade. I'm leaning towards the spike ram gob idea but have to see if it'll look right widening it to the new wisth. It look proper in the codex but I'm not sure if it will here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Penelope the Won...
post Feb 21 2009, 09:57 AM
Post #35

Thinks hes NTMBK
Group Icon

Member No.: 477

I'd second the suggestion to put a gunshield on your Kannon- just something simple, like the Zzap Gun on Nightserpent's Battlewagon:

--------------------
Penelope's Modelling Blog!
Y'know, Ork models. Not me posing in skimp lingerie. That'd be very, very wrong.

+Quote Post
Sukigod
post Feb 21 2009, 11:27 AM
Post #36

Flash Git

Alright! Alright! Alright! Alright! Alright! Alright! Alright! Alright!

I'll look into puttin' on a gun shield up front. As much as I hate to admit it, it might even look..... better? (ya had to "quote" Nightserpent on me, didn't ya?) I'm worried about the clearance for turning the gun but in retrospect - who cares, it's not like I have to point it at the target. I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks everyone for the feedback (and caring).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Aries
post Feb 21 2009, 11:53 AM
Post #37

Mushling

Group: Grotz
Member No.: 9,583

These widened, heightened and elongated battlewagons you guys keep posting really make me want to get into those plastics. The only that is holding me back is that probably at the end I'll be left with fifty euro's worth of plastic scrap. laughingOrk.gif

I really admire the amount of detailing and inventiveness that you've put into this model. Should be a really great model when finished.

The only downside, if you might call it that, to these enlarged vehicles is the space between the wheels and the tracks. In my opinion it's a bit to open and the model loses some of its robustness because of it. I think it might look better if the wheels were spaced a bit wider, or if there was a third wheel. I'm just nitpicking a bit and thinking ahead for when I attempt to tackle one of these vehicles, so don't think to much my comments.

Great piece of work, I can't wait to see it finished.

+Quote Post
akurat-dakka
post Feb 21 2009, 11:57 AM
Post #38

Kickin' Grot

Member No.: 8,697

I'm thinking another wheel inbetween the tracks and the front wheels. possible?

--------------------
'Ere to fix your gubbinz!'

Quote: Big mek, DoW

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature. GENERATION 6 The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment

+Quote Post
Sukigod
post Feb 22 2009, 10:18 PM
Post #39

Flash Git

Progress was made today but nothing major. mostly little filler bitz and details. I did make shields for the zzap and kannon, finished up the detail on the frame on the right side and started the exhasut system. I also put together a coupala with a big shoota and a Kommander and put on some stock parts after deciding to "close" the side doors. Just made things easier. I didn't set out to redo the entire thing, just make it a little bigger and add some extras along the way.

Here's the gunshields...

and the step up ladder to fill in the extra space between tracks and wheels.

and the other side where I've started to "flesh" out the exhuast system (the stock one is extremely weedy).

After the exhast is finished I have two mjor parts to tackle yet - the 'ard case/kill kannon and the re-inforced ram. I've got a pretty good handle in my head what I'm going to do with the ram, the 'ard case and kill kannon is completely up in the air at this point.

Later!

--------------------

+Quote Post
A_Lone_Hobo
post Feb 23 2009, 07:39 AM
Post #40

Grot Oiler

Member No.: 7,483

that is really nice! maybe some battledamage here and there? cant wait to see it finished!

--------------------
"I'm The Biggest So I'm The Boss!" - Classic Ork Heirarchy At Its Best :P

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version |  Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 02:14 PM