IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sukigod and a Battlewagon, Jumping on the Battlewagon, uh.... bandwagon.
Rating 5 V
Sukigod
post Jan 22 2009, 09:57 PM
Post #1

Flash Git

Group: Boyz
Member No.: 1,992

Nothing like 50 new models to really make a Big Mek a short attention span freak. I've ordered a set of Nobs for my magnetic swappable bikers and have to wait for them to come it, sooooo.... I've had the new Battlewagon kit staring me in the face for the last two weeks, taunting me like some ugly French k'nig'it! Doc Nuk has done some incredible work in "putting his BW on steroids" in this link http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=37991, which does exactly what I wanted to do but did all the hard work of thinking it out. To you Doc Nuk, I Will Loot You! (in my best/worst AC/DC imitation)

I'm looting primarily the base platform and chassis modifications. This gives me the base dimensions I wanted, from there, I'll be making things up as I go along. I've got some ideas and the rest will be winged,just like a good Mek should.

Nothing fancy at this point, just the structural parts in place. There'll be more random plates added to it.

I'm not worried about what things look like underneath as I'll be closing up most of the under structuer. This does two things for me. 1. I don't have to worry about how it looks/details, and 2. It will make it more structurally sound.

I will be changing the front wheels as my first deviation from the kit and DocNuk's version. Here's a teaser shot of what it will involve. Not sure exactly what it will look like, but they won't be tires of any sort....

Chow for now, folks!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Green Git
post Jan 22 2009, 10:23 PM
Post #2

Periscope
Group Icon

Group: Deathskullz
Member No.: 1,035

I'll be following with great interest... CoolOrkDark.gif

--------------------
No, dis is no yer fing. I stole it fair and square. 'Sides, it's painted bloo now.

+Quote Post
Gobsmakk'd
post Jan 22 2009, 11:18 PM
Post #3

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

Member No.: 5,874

Good start, Sukigod, I will watch this with interest. I have the exact same idea for replacing the front wheels, although I have a slightly different pattern in mind for my Sno-Cat-like BW. They may be too small, however, and I might end up using the same tread as you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Oddballz
post Jan 22 2009, 11:35 PM
Post #4

He who was Snord
Group Icon

Group: Nobz
Member No.: 175

Looks like a promising start, Sukigod (what is a Sukigod, anyway?). We could almost have a sub-forum at the moment for all the Battlewagon widening threads. I didn't have the courage to widen the cabin, as I didn't want to tackle rebuiding the cabin components. I think that's what seperates the Meks from the Grots when it comes to Battlewagon widening thumbs.gif I have noticed, however, that having widened the kit people are tending to slow down a bit when it comes to the upper hull - let's see what you do. Like you, I fully enclosed the rear hull, which meant there was no need to care about the internal detail (DokNuk went the whole hog and detailed his extended interior as well, but he's just a masochist).

I like the idea of tracks fore and aft (although how it actually steers is anyone's guess). It's a pity that those old humie wheels are so crude compared to the Battlewagon's.

--------------------
Oddballz

"If you wants to understan' an enemy, you gotta walk a mile in his shoes. Den, if he's still your enemy, at least you're a mile away and he's got no shoes." Plateau, trollish philosopher

+Quote Post
Supermanfxk
post Jan 22 2009, 11:36 PM
Post #5

Mimic Squig

Group: Grotz
Member No.: 9,456

This is a solid start. I have another BW en rout from GW due to missing parts from my current kit, so I had planned on looting the fatwagon idea. I'm very interested in seeing what you do with those track pieces.

+Quote Post
DocNuK
post Jan 23 2009, 01:46 AM
Post #6

'Ard Boy

Member No.: 3,744

you are doing me to much honor.
i was only the first who posted the baseplate widening idea.
with the bw contest running i think so much mek here have done it but not posted in time.

and oddballz, the detailing wasn't a sado/maso-thing (my black rubber suit is in laundry smilingOrk.gif )
it was simply for hiding a few mistakes ....

--------------------
In the end, it was the Sunday afternoons he couldn't cope with, and that terrible listlessness which starts to set in at about 2:55, when you know that you've had all the baths you can usefully have that day, that however hard you stare at any given paragraph in the papers you will never actually read it, or use the revolutionary new pruning technique it describes, and that as you stare at the clock the hands will move relentlessly on to four o'clock, and you will enter the long dark teatime of the soul.

+Quote Post
teh603
post Jan 23 2009, 07:47 AM
Post #7

Mushling

Member No.: 9,564

Nice thus far. I can't wait to see the finished wagon.

+Quote Post
Sukigod
post Jan 23 2009, 08:01 AM
Post #8

Flash Git

Hehhe, Thanks everyone!

Oddballz: Suki was a cat I had many, many years ago around the birth of the interenets - I had to come up with a handle on the fly one day and I thought of my cat - Suki. The name was too short so I added -god to it since she seemed to think she was one (don't they all?). That's it.

DocNuk: You may not be the first one to biggify it but you did post exactly what cuts were made and where so it was easiest to do it your way. Thanks a ton.

Looking at the treads later last night I realized they might be a bit weedy compared to the rear tracks so I think I'll be diggin through my extensive 1:35 scale treads collection for something wider.

--------------------

+Quote Post
uberdark
post Jan 23 2009, 09:04 AM
Post #9

Periscope
Group Icon

Group: Evil Sunz
Member No.: 8,401

looking good so far sukes.... i have your set for you and will be sending it out this weekend. on a side note.... why not combine the tracks and put them side to side to make them wider.

+Quote Post
DOGGED
post Jan 23 2009, 09:26 AM
Post #10

Snotroom

Member No.: 9,109

I'm just loving these fat BW conversions. It seems these spring waaaghs everywhere will be dotted with fat mean ork behemoths!!!

+Quote Post
Sukigod
post Jan 23 2009, 10:15 AM
Post #11

Flash Git

QUOTE (uberdark @ Jan 23 2009, 07:34 AM) *
looking good so far sukes.... i have your set for you and will be sending it out this weekend. on a side note.... why not combine the tracks and put them side to side to make them wider.

This is one possible thought I had as well. I'll have to see if I've got enough spare track - maybe I'll have to see about looting my 'umie friend's scrapyard. thumbs.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sukigod
post Jan 25 2009, 11:49 AM
Post #12

Flash Git

I am as dissappointed as the rest of you, just want to put that out there....

I don't have the parts/$ to make the front wheel into tracks. I guess that will have to be left for someone else. bleep.gif As much as I wnated too, I could not find something that was suitable out of my bitz boxes. In the end, I had to fall back to the tires supplied with the kit. Oh well, maybe next time.

With all appologies to the other Big Meks out of the way, I'm nearly finished with the main platform and chassis. The only left unfinished at this point is the farthest back of the trukk bed. I've got some ideas and parts I want to use there but I'll work them in later.

My usual path now is to work from front to back, filling and making stuff up as I go - this should be no different. I've filled in the front of the grill extension and have dry fit the upper sections. Once the cab sections have been put in place (minus the top), I'll have my first custom part made.... Tune in later to see what I've got up my sleeve!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gaf-Naz
post Jan 25 2009, 12:01 PM
Post #13

Mayor of Orktown
Group Icon

Group: Bad Moonz
Member No.: 1,210

Looks like another nice steroidal wagon's coming together. DocNuk has alot to answer for! winkingOrk.gif

QUOTE (Sukigod @ Jan 25 2009, 04:19 PM) *
I don't have the parts/$ to make the front wheel into tracks. I guess that will have to be left for someone else. bleep.gif As much as I wnated too, I could not find something that was suitable out of my bitz boxes. In the end, I had to fall back to the tires supplied with the kit. Oh well, maybe next time.

Which parts are you missing? Maybe you could get a trade in the BMMQ? I think you could make some orky looking trakks from russ trackplates and slotta bases/artillery wheels/chemplant bits.

Looking forward to watching this come together. cheers.gif

--------------------
Ork Town III - Terrain building competition, sponsored by Ramshackle Games.

Do you need some 6th edition fortifications for your army, a new terrain piece or an 'armies on display' board?

Then build it, paint it, post it and move into "da orkiest town in da ooniverse", and have the chance of winning a prize!

+Quote Post
Scapegoat
post Jan 25 2009, 12:02 PM
Post #14

Runtherd
Group Icon

Member No.: 258

i'm kinda confused as to why there are two threads for this build?

+Quote Post
Sukigod
post Jan 25 2009, 12:23 PM
Post #15

Flash Git

@scapegoat: I'm including a few posts in my regular Red Jacks Waaagh! thread so I can see the progress along with the rest of the army. Not every post will be duped though. Eventually this thread will fall away and pretty much be available only by searching/archives and this keeps it in my history.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DocNuK
post Jan 25 2009, 12:40 PM
Post #16

'Ard Boy

Member No.: 3,744

you have done to the front grill i was too lazy to do. respect for that.

i later found out that you need to fill this gap also.
Attached Image

--------------------
In the end, it was the Sunday afternoons he couldn't cope with, and that terrible listlessness which starts to set in at about 2:55, when you know that you've had all the baths you can usefully have that day, that however hard you stare at any given paragraph in the papers you will never actually read it, or use the revolutionary new pruning technique it describes, and that as you stare at the clock the hands will move relentlessly on to four o'clock, and you will enter the long dark teatime of the soul.

+Quote Post
Oddballz
post Jan 25 2009, 12:41 PM
Post #17

He who was Snord
Group Icon

Group: Nobz
Member No.: 175

QUOTE (Sukigod @ Jan 25 2009, 11:19 AM) *

Fair enough - better not to do it than to do something that's sub-standard. And the wheeled/tracked look is arguably more interesting.

I've filled in the front of the grill extension and have dry fit the upper sections.

shockedork2.gif And I thought DokNuk was a masochist! As I've been trying to match the design/detail on the kit with the additions I've been making to mine, I can really appreciate how skillfully you're achieved that with the grill. Very nice thumbs.gif I assume you'll be doing this with the rest of the cabin.

--------------------
Oddballz

"If you wants to understan' an enemy, you gotta walk a mile in his shoes. Den, if he's still your enemy, at least you're a mile away and he's got no shoes." Plateau, trollish philosopher

+Quote Post
Scapegoat
post Jan 25 2009, 02:40 PM
Post #18

Runtherd
Group Icon

Member No.: 258

QUOTE (Sukigod @ Jan 25 2009, 11:53 AM) *
@scapegoat: I'm including a few posts in my regular Red Jacks Waaagh! thread so I can see the progress along with the rest of the army. Not every post will be duped though. Eventually this thread will fall away and pretty much be available only by searching/archives and this keeps it in my history.

got ya

good job, lovin' the grill. I'd suggest snipping off the "stock" rivets for the "teef" an replacing them with your plasticard rivets. I think that would result in the piece looking as if it was all stock once painted... perhaps also redoing the vertical bars in the grill as well.. simply because yours are a bit thinner than the others. Don't think that stands out as much as the rivet size difference though

+Quote Post
Sukigod
post Jan 25 2009, 02:45 PM
Post #19

Flash Git

Good call on the rivets to the grill, Scapegoat. I think I'll do that, although I probably won't redo the bars - too much work to fix now.

@Oddballz: Yeah, I'll try to make any extansion look as though it was original. Makes for a longer project but I want it to be unrecognizable (as a "conversion") when it's done, like it was supposed to be that way from the GW factory.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sukigod
post Jan 25 2009, 10:29 PM
Post #20

Flash Git

Spent a little more time and got this far - very rough as I'm jsut laying out the spaces to see what I have to fix. The toughest part is deciding how to treat the outside wall and roofline of the drivers compartment.

So yes, the "up my sleeve" thing is to have a magnetic (yes, again) mount in the new widened space up front with swappable Kannon/Zapp gun. The way it's planned is so I can sue either weapon and rotate it enough to get full frontal firing arcs. Not the same as turret or piontle mount, but I can live with that - it will look cooler this way! (to me)

Here's how it's lokoing in "test fitting" mode.

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version |  Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 08:09 PM