Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Askari Legion Battlewagons

* * * * * 1 votes DocNuk Battlewagon Askari Legion Askari

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts
  • Army Name:Askari Legion (Blood Axes)

Changed this thread to cover all my battlewagons. Was Askari Legion BW from SdKfz 231 (Inspired by DocNuK)

Placeholder for latest pictures

IMG_5037.png

Thumbnails are artifacts from original post

Attached Thumbnails

• Stripped.jpg
  • Trukkbed.JPG
  • Size_comp.JPG
  • New_track.jpg
  • New_track_with_mods.jpg
  • top_1.jpg
  • top_2.jpg
  • top_3.jpg

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

This thread will be my WIP for my SdKfz 231-based BW. The thread I messed up by having a poll in it is here. DocNuK is doing such a great job with his conversion, I have been totally inspired to rework a junk model I got into a new-style BW. Link to DocNuK's progress: http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=37808 The pics and commentary in this first post are repeats from that thread. All following posts are new info. First up is the stripped version of the model I got, which was previously converted by another Ork player into an Ork vehicle. 

post-4707-1232648688_thumb.jpg 

I chopped the vehicle into two pieces (so both pieces can become a BW conversion.) I added an old trukk bed and braces on the bottom. Ignore the long strips out the back, they will be trimmed, but the plastic glue is still drying. They are 1.5 mm thick plasticard, which give the model a lot of structural integrity, and should provide a good base to attach the rolling bits. 

post-4707-1232648717_thumb.jpg 

Size comparison with the new Battlewagon. The PSW BW is almost the same length. BTW, I think the new BW is dead proppa and I have lost much sleep fiddling with the options and brainstorming a lot. I plan to make or convert all my BW so they can use the modular options: grabba klaw, wreckin' ball, BS pintel, BS turret, hatches, etc. I will make the hatches and turret ring compatible with the GW BW so I can swap freely among my BWs.

post-4707-1232648736_thumb.jpg 

I came across this pair of tracks in my bits box and it seems to be a great fit. I think that one wheel in the front will work too, which is great since my mech is low on new tires.

post-4707-1232648785_thumb.jpg 

I plan to put in a fitting so I can put on the new reinforced ram from the BW'09 kit. I also plan to put a flat roof where you see the top now, but add a little height to the cab, with a hole so I can add the new big turret, and the hatch devices (grot turret, grabba, wrekka ball, etc.) I will also shave a little more off the cab. See below. BTW, the ram was glued in such a way as to be a snug fit on a normal BW and therefore removable. I am trying to make my BWs all fully modular, without use of magnets (but the grabba needs a big weight under it to stay on.) Note these tracks are a little wierd and will need small rollers on the bottom. I have some Hot Wheels sized cars that I can use the wheels from. (I am a stickler for these type of details since I used to be an armor officer.) 

post-4707-1232648796_thumb.jpg 

The next picture shows the side view with the pair of old trukk big wheels. I think it looks better than a single new big wheel, since that has too much gap between it and the tracks.I am trying to get close to the new BW but without any new BW parts, except the ram and a door. The yellow goo on the wheel hubs is plasti-tac, which I use to hold things together when mocking up. I plan to glue the wheels and trakks much later since I need to detail the sides behind the wheels and tracks. 

post-4707-1232648825_thumb.jpg 

This picture shows the top, which is cut out of styrene. The styrene is mustard colored because I got a huge stash of it in an auction for old LP dividers from K-mart. Behind the ram is the assault door (that black plastic thing.) The roof will get shortened, but I am not sure yet whether the cab back will extend up yet or not. I suspect the cab will need too because I plan to put a door to the open area in the back. 

post-4707-1232648833_thumb.jpg 

In the third picture, you can see the roof removed and the reinforcing strips. Fitting the top took some time, and I could not figure out how to prevent the uneven old chassis roof from showing a gap, so I put in reinforcing strips that took care of the gap problem too. Note the strips at the front opening and the strips around the front opening in the cab. I think the distinctive look of the BW'09 is that it has the narrow vision port up front that gives it much of its character. I am trying to replicate a similar feeling. 

post-4707-1232648844_thumb.jpg

Today's update has my progress on the roof, passenger walls, assault hatch, and lower chassis gubbins. My stupid thing for the day was using a new bottle of thin superglue and wondering why it was not acting like plastic glue. My excuse is that it was all the fumes and I must be clinically brain dead now. Note: Since is it popular to comment on, all these are shots taken before rivets are applied. I don't plan to be contrary and I will rivet this build. First up is a view without the running gear and now extras. This view shows the general layout.

Raw_1.jpg

Next view shows I cannot focus; and shows the assault ramp and the front view. I like reinforced rams, so the assault ramp will rarely be seen. Since the Reinforced ram will be able to be powered out of the way, troops inside can use the assault ramp, even with a ram, just not with a roller (ouch.)

Raw_2.jpg

The next two views show the gubbins applied to the lower chassis. I am not happy I was too lazy to work out what they are there for, but since the running gear covers them up pretty well, I just wanted to have something there for visual interest when viewing at odd angles. The parts under the cab are the shocks for the two front axels.

Raw_3.jpg Raw_4.jpg

A typical loadout is show in this view, with the exception that I do not plan to run armored tops, I just want there to be a spot for them on all my battlewagons. The black printing on the yellow styrene makes it difficult to see the details, but I will have it primed grey after rivetting, making it much easier to see the details. Hopefully my paint job will make details even more obvious.

Pre_rivet_1.jpg

This view shows what the turret would look like if I had an armored top. I am not super happy with this look, and I am not looking forward to constructing the forward supports for the armored top. But, since I don't plan to use tops, I guess this will do. Without the armored top, and if I have a turret, it would go in the raised area behind the forward grot turret in this picture, which I have not yet drilled out.

Pre_rivet_2.jpg

Keanoobs

Keanoobs

Squigpipes

• Grotz
  • 66 posts
  • Army Name:Random Dakka!!!

This view shows what the turret would look like if I had an armored top. I am not super happy with this look, and I am not looking forward to constructing the forward supports for the armored top. But, since I don't plan to use tops, I guess this will do. Without the armored top, and if I have a turret, it would go in the raised area behind the forward grot turret in this picture, which I have not yet drilled out.
Pre_rivet_2.jpg

Dude, it's a battlewagon. Why dont you just stick with the armored top and turret for more firepower?
I mean what not to like about it?
It's a huge cannon, enough to blow your opponents away!!!
If I were you I would stick with it! :choppa
Our weap'ns are Kombi, Killy, an' DAKKA!!!

johno

johno

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 246 posts
  • Army Name:GrimToof's Iron Skulls
Keanoobs: I'd imagine because he mostly uses Battlewagons as assault transports, rather than fire support vehicles. One of the strengths of the 'wagon is the ability to fit it out for different roles Looking good Derry: I like the way you are adding just enough BW bits to tie it in with other GW based vehicles johno
johno

Club website:
Plymouth Association of Wargamers

Family website:
The Oranges

Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 295 posts

Dude, it's a battlewagon. Why dont you just stick with the armored top and turret for more firepower?
I mean what not to like about it?
It's a huge cannon, enough to blow your opponents away!!!
If I were you I would stick with it! :choppa

some of us would rather deliver 20 'ard boyz :!

love the model, suitably ramshackle!

Magus Gar Kan

Magus Gar Kan

Kommando

• Blood Axez
  • 969 posts
  • Army Name:Defgrimz Dakka Boyz
I like the look of this, the shape of it and the style of the trakks give it a look akin to an armored train that has jumped the rails.
Offishol Fishhead Slackjaw Mcgee certified ork Rokka!
GENERATION 2: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment
"Waaagh! Waaagh! The Greenskins, Oldest Greatest Death Machine..."

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts
@ Keanoobs: I mainly use BW to house the boys in the back so they can drive around shooting (with shootas) or as an assault transport (with slugga/choppa). I run with few upgrades to keep costs minimized. When I use killkannon, kannon, lobba, or zap, I usually only have one of them, so one turret will suffice. The main turret area is is the one behind where the grot turret is located in the views above. I just have not drilled it out yet. Edit: After further thought, I want to make this BW just as capable as my others. Therefore I have moved the armored top back so that it will not interfere with the large turret ring in the middle. Pics to follow later.

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

First picture shows the clamp I used to press on the square tube over the round tube that holds the reinforced ram. I later filled in the gaps between the square and round tubes with greenstuff and shaved it flat. In this picture you can see the solder in the passenger compartment that I use for detailing. It goes down the side and underneath the lower chassis. This view is pretty stipped down, with the top and the passenger compartment missing. Conversions and scratchbuilds I build in pieces and only glue them together after all detailing, just before priming. That makes it easier to correct small mistakes, easier to handle, and makes detailing a lot easier too.

ram_support_clamped.jpg

Since the last update, I chopped the back of the passenger area down so the armored top will sit flush with the middle area roof. I still need to put in supporting bits on the cab and the passenger compartment to allow the armored top to snugly fit in. I also chopped an opening in the back. It is sized so I can put a door there, but I am not sure I want to put a door on the very back. The next shot shows the tube I made with the leftover greenstuff (that white thing above the square grey ram support.) This shot mainly shows the large turret ring I have in the center position. Note that it is unsightly without a turret there and if I decide to not run a weapon needing a big turret, then I need to cover that hole. I spent a bit time since the last report trimming unsightly bits and doing a little more detailing. External detailing, even if difficult to see, I feel still adds a lot to the model.

top_big_ring.jpg

This shot shows how I cover the large turret ring hole, with an insert that drops on top and allows me to have another grot turret-sized ring. Note the hex nut I use for alignment of the insert. You can also see the beginnings of my rivetting. The white object in the passenger compartment is a greenstuff cushion (one on each side. The area next to the cushion will be textured material

top_small_ring.jpg

DocNuK

DocNuK

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 959 posts
  • Army Name:no name - why a name when i never really play
respect. this becomes a very superb bw. it has similarities with the shape of the gw bw but gives them a total new and faster direction. there can't be any other color than red when you paint it :) and by now i evoluted so far from the truck substitute i cobbled together (and what is still waiting to be touched again - to much other things :) ) i wont be annoyed if you remove the reference from the title.
In the end, it was the Sunday afternoons he couldn't cope with, and that terrible listlessness which starts to set in at about 2:55, when you know that you've had all the baths you can usefully have that day, that however hard you stare at any given paragraph in the papers you will never actually read it, or use the revolutionary new pruning technique it describes, and that as you stare at the clock the hands will move relentlessly on to four o'clock, and you will enter the long dark teatime of the soul.

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts
Heh, no way. The reference stays. The awesome work that you, Krooza, Scarpia, and others do continues to inspire me. You guys are awesome and make this board a great place.

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Still detailing. Tasks left to do (that I know of): Add two mufflers in back, add more rivets (although I am close to done), add rear ladder, add ram/bumper, drill out the area behind the cab door, so light shows through, sand down tires, and grolekk hide (after priming.) Grolekk hide is my name for some basketball-textured paper I found at a scrapbooking store. It looks pretty cool and I will try it out unpainted. Thin strips are currently under the passenger firing openings (the orange stuff.) These strips will get primed, so will have a different look from the main pieces I am adding. These first two shots show the left and right sides. I am generally happy with these and I don't plan a lot of extra detailing beyond the above list.

left.jpg right.jpg

The next two shots show the front and back. I probably need some detailing below the front assault ramp, although currently it should paint up well with all the layers there. Most of the time the front will be covered by a reinforced ram, but I don't want to be lazy. Since the rules may get clarified on whether dethrollers affect vehicles, details may be more visible than I expect, since I will use dethrollers more if they do affect vehicles. The back has little detail. I could put on some reinforcing plates. I plan to have the two mufflers and a ram/bumper. All the busy details currently in the back upper right and left are pieces I used to provide support for the armored top.

front.jpg back.jpg

This shot shows the back of the cab and shows the two white plastic pieces on the back of the cab which are used to snuggly support the standard BW'09 armored top. The door to the cab needs drilling out so it looks like it has a compartment behind it. The area around the door needs more detail. Armor plates are not needed, but probably more rivets.

cab_back.jpg

The final shot of this update shows the passenger compartment and some of the detail I added there. The white bit in the upper right of the picture came loose and is not in the right spot (and is already fixed.) The internal compartment is a little light on detail, but has close to enough with the grab bar, gizmo (to the left of the door in this shot), and padding on the sidewalls. I may add detail in the area just below the door reinforcements as the bottoms look a little odd right now.

passenger_f_b.jpg

So, I probably need to look through my bitz box for cool stuff to add, especially glyph plates. I definitely plan to "complete" it and then wait a day to see what else I can add. I am still eager to prime it, so that must mean I am not really ready to yet.

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Been silent for a while, but I have updates now. Hopefully I have done enough detailing to look good, without crossing the line of excessive and not visible on the tabletop. The model should be ready for priming now (since I am no longer eager to prime, it must be okay finally.) All these pictures (except the last one) show the vehicle in stock condition, without rams, turrets, big shootas, etc. I apologize for being too lazy to reshoot some of the fuzzy shots. I am in a hurry since I should be working. First up is the front, with a thicker assault ramp, now glued in place. You can get a feel for the overall front profile.

pprime_front.jpg

Next are the left and right sides. The wheels, tracks, cab, and top are not glued on right now. But the cab will be prior to priming. Instead of using the tiny chain that comes with the stock BW muffler, I have used a piece of round sprue to make the connection solid and much less likely to get knocked off. I realized I need to fill in or cover the tubes used for the rear stairs (see next couple shots.)

pprime_left.jpg pprime_right.jpg

The back shows in the next shot and is a spot where I detailed a bit. Boarding ramp is now the steps and back door. Added fuel can, storage box below, glyphs, firing port, rear bumper, and tow chain. The chain dangles here a little, but is a real chain, so can be reattached easily. I thought about leaving the chain off for priming, but it should be fine, as I can string it out then.

pprime_back.jpg

These two shots show the back of the cab and the passenger compartment (out of focus, but you get the idea.) Only minor new detailing inside the passenger area, but the cab back got some rivets and a glyph plate. I decided to leave the right side of the cab door blank. I can always put a decal poster there or something. The back to front shot shows the back door of the passenger area and how it is also the steps to get in.

pprime_f_b.jpg pprime_b_f.jpg

The final shot shows what it looks like with some add ons. The ard top is not one I plan to use, but I put in supports to allow it to snap in place. You can also get the feel of some possible loadouts. Once painted I will show a two turret version, just to show what that profile looks like. Note the big gun turret has no gun but instead magnet. All my big turret guns are sawn off and magnetized, so I can put boomguns, kill kannons, kannon, zapp, or lobba. (The boomgun option is for when I put these turrets on looted wagons.)

pprime_ardtop.jpg

Let me know if you see anything missing, out of place, or needing improvement. Once primed, I get pretty lazy about modding.

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Put on the basecoat yesterday. Anodized Aluminum Red on the top after Boltgun Metal on the undercarriage. Just before these shots I bumped the passenger compartment and turret, and already had the thing disassembled before I noticed in editing. At least these pictures give you a feel for the base color.

basecoat_left.jpg basecoat_right.jpg

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts

Necromancy allowed by original summoner: Oh rise thread from the past.

I notice I never put the current picture of this build up. See below for the current status: Still needing more paint, but good enough to play with.

IMG_5037.png

BTW, the other half of the original hull was used for Trukk 390 (left), as seen in this post in my trukks thread

aDSCN1246.png

Dazbag Skorcha

Dazbag Skorcha

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 32 posts
  • Army Name:Da Burning Moonz

Keep it up dude! I love this! :yes  :cheers

I'Z GOT DA BEST SHOOTAS AND ARMOUR DER IZ   :dakka

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 216 posts
  • Army Name:Grumpy's Toys

I like what you and DocNuk have done. :thumbs I am inspired by your work, and have a few new ideas own how to proceed with my own projects. Thanks! While I would draw the line at hacking up a bunch of classic car models (there's a laugh, I usually customize, or hot rod mine), I think your truck project was great. If this old dinosaur can ever figure out how to get his computer to cooperate, I may share a few pictures of my own.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DocNuk, Battlewagon, Askari Legion, Askari