Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Big Mek Challenge 6: MoOg vs. Morfangdakka

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
44 replies to this topic

morfangdakka

morfangdakka

tougher than a cybork

• Deathskullz
  • 1,402 posts
  • Army Name:Morfang's Big Stompa Mob
The Rules: We have Those? well some anyway. Must be codex/tournament legal WYSIWYG. Loadout/upgrades and options is completely up to the Big Mek in charge of their build. Both Big Meks will post their WIPs to the same thread. The contest will run till Feb. 28 then a poll will be posted to see who stoled and built the best looted wagon. Now enough of this silly foreplay lets get down and get dirty. Time to start building things.
QUOTE (eddie the troll @ Mar 24 2010, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, the Venerable Morfangdakka. It has a certain feel to it.

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

mo0g

mo0g

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 402 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! mo0g
Hurray!

So my basic plan for this thing is a boomwagon with a massive gun. That's the only upgrade I plan on building into it in terms of WYSIWYG, as I don't suppose I'll ever run anything more. However, I do have some interesting plans on the mechanism for the boomgun, more information on that later :)

I will have an update later tonight with some pcard laid down on this thing, but for now I can at least show you what I'm starting with:

Posted Image
Picked up a few old rhino's on ebay recently and will be using one of these as a base. I actually hadn't realised just how small these old beakie rust buckets really are. So, there shall be widening to make room for the big old Boomgun I have planned. I plan on adding a bit of height also, not unlike DocNuk's recent "Rhino Enhancer" - will have to let you guys know how that one pans out :P

Posted Image

Back soon with more updates :)
Good luck morfangdakka, may the best mek win :cheers
mo0g's Badmoons
mo0g's projects - Latest update: Kommandos (April '11)
Big Mek mo0g's Badmoon Blog (external blog)
Scratch Battlewagon - Now painted.
Rokkit Buggies - WIP builds
mo0g gets STOMPY - Optimash Prime Stompa build WIP
Big Mek Challenge VS Morfangdakka - An oldy but a lot of fun! (Lots of broken images, sorry) and the Voting thread. (more broken images...grr)

Other stuff:
mo0g gets tainted - Tzeentch-theme Chaos WIP
mo0g does Necromunda

mo0g

mo0g

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 402 posts
The promised evening update.

I started off by completely ignoring the original chassis and adding some width supports:

Posted Image

It's not quite as square as it looks, but a good 2-3cm wider than stock. Next I started to add some height to the tracks by extending down the existing panels.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Next I blocked in the side panels, extending down the boarding platform to give it a slightly more interesting contour:

Posted Image
Posted Image

The gaps need filling and such, but I like how it's coming along so far. And here's a little teaser of what might be coming up:

Posted Image

Cheers
mo0g's Badmoons
Big Mek Challenge VS Morfangdakka - An oldy but a lot of fun! (Lots of broken images, sorry) and the Voting thread. (more broken images...grr)

Other stuff:
mo0g does Necromunda

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 460 posts
  • Army Name:Askari Legion (Blood Axes)
Why not cut off the tracks for possible reuse later? I try to recover really useful bits like GW tracks. I will definitely watch your progress, because I also acquired old beakie rhinos for looting. Looks like a great start.

mo0g

mo0g

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 402 posts
Yea, i had thought about just cutting them off, but I was using them for scale when adding height, and have now mostly encased them in pcard. Also they look rather basic, might have a go at rescuing them though. I have some old spare tracks, just need to figure out a way of attaching them.
mo0g's Badmoons

Other stuff:
mo0g does Necromunda

morfangdakka

morfangdakka

tougher than a cybork

• Deathskullz
  • 1,402 posts
Very nice start. I am curious to see where this goes.

Mine is based off a current rhino but will also have a boom gun. So it's time to show who is Proper

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture_214.jpg
  • Picture_229.jpg

mo0g

mo0g

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 402 posts
Sweet engine, does it come with the current Rhino kit, and will it be visible after you've mounted your boomgun?
mo0g's Badmoons

Other stuff:
mo0g does Necromunda

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,549 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd

does it come with the current Rhino kit

Naw, isn't that the inside of the land raida engine? Moog, I like what you're doing with that old rhino chassis. Good luck to both of you :cheers
"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

kakita

kakita

Grot Slave

• Boyz
  • 147 posts
  • Army Name:Da Bruvverhood ov Steal
Very interesting. Morfang: I especially like the land raider engine exposed like that. :cheers
Here Be Geeks, a minis, games and comics blog

My Coolmini Site

morfangdakka

morfangdakka

tougher than a cybork

• Deathskullz
  • 1,402 posts
The engine is from the landraider kit. I got the idea from the rules that say a looted wagon loses it transport ability. So what better way for a rhino to lose its transport ability than to have a big engine. Most of the engine will be visibile after I mount the boom gun which will be mounted in a turrent on the front like a tank.

mo0g

mo0g

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 402 posts
Update time.

Was away all weekend but managed to get a reasonable amount sorted yesterday. Aesthetically, I created a rough framework for the paneling:

Posted Image

And started to work out how I was going to add in the gearing, so I can rotate the turret:

Posted Image
I don't know the technical name for what that gear system is called, but it allows me to turn on the x axis and it rotates the turret on the y axis. I may even have those the wrong way round, well that's orky engineering for you ;)

*insert a lot of time passed trying to create a smooth gearing system involving different sized gears to control the speed of the turret rotation*

Forgot to take pictures of the gearing that got attached here, ah well.

Posted Image

To illustrate the gearing system I've made y'all a little paint diagram:
Posted Image

The black gearbox is the one you can see in the picture, which provides the change of axis for the rotation. Then I've mounted the blue and red gears above the gear box to slow down the motion. Actually the gear I used for the small blue gear was very very small, and the red gear significantly larger than it, so I now get a really nice slow turn from the input control.

Posted Image
Here's what it's looking like so far having roughly boxed in the paneling.

You can see the pole coming out of the top, in my diagram that belongs to the red gear. At the back of the wagon I've added on a red wheel to help me test turning, but I'm open for suggestions as for what to use in the end.
Posted Image

Tracks to come next, followed by turret :thumbs
mo0g's Badmoons

Other stuff:
mo0g does Necromunda

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,549 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd
Wow talk about getting stuck in. Thats some serious engineering. Its tough telling the thickness of that metal rod but maybe using one of the circular bits w/ the handle that come w/ the kannons or zzap guns, though i may be sorta small for a human hand to manipulate it would fit in well w/ the scaling of the model. The chem. plant has some pretty good valve wheels as well. Do you planning on leaving the rod sticking that far out? ...OOO I got it, how about one of the wheels from said big guns, maybe if a chain was attached to the wheel but not the tank it would look more like stowage.
"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

mo0g

mo0g

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 402 posts
More updates, now I have the tracks in place and have made a start on the turret. Tracks need a bit of detail adding, especially to the wheely-bits but mostly done now. Turret is early stages, not even sure if I like it yet, and haven't decided on it's placement on the rotating wheel yet. I got quite acquainted with rivits today :thumbs

Tracks:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Turret:

I took a lot of time making sure that the connection to the gear system was going to be strong enough to push the turret round, and a lot of glue and pcard bits later, I think it is.

Posted Image

Can't decide exactly where I'm going to have the turret sit yet on the rotating wheel - still needs a lot of bulking out and detailing so decision will probably wait till it's done.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Kinda hard to see a lot of the minor details holding it all together, but you get the idea, for now.
:cheers
mo0g's Badmoons

Other stuff:
mo0g does Necromunda

morfangdakka

morfangdakka

tougher than a cybork

• Deathskullz
  • 1,402 posts
Rotating gearing system :sowhat darn stinking badmoons always gotta show off their teef. Anyway update on my end. I grafted the battle turrent onto my rhino its not glued down yet so its slightly off center in the pics. Added more to the engine and a little on the top new front lights as well. Next is to make the rhino look less like a rhino and more like an orky ride. Also custom track covers and exhaust need to be added.

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture_233.jpg
  • Picture_234.jpg
  • Picture_235.jpg

mo0g

mo0g

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 402 posts
Well well well, he's gone and got himself a zoggin' big turret eh? Typical deffskull goes and nicks it off some old gits battlewagon, well we who is proppa don't steal nuffin. We pays da fanciest mek in town ta make it fer us :thumbs

Deeeeetails on the boomgun today. Still not finished, lots more werky bits to come, but here's where I've got to so far:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And I've tried to modify my own little spotter grot:

Posted Image

Posted Image

:cheers
mo0g's Badmoons

Other stuff:
mo0g does Necromunda

Kr00zA

Kr00zA

Grumpy ole Git

• Goffz
  • 9,989 posts
  • Army Name:Big Berk'z Bashaz
Ya stuck alot of them rivetz on back-to-front so they will need the edges filing down. When using a Leather Hole Punch to make rivetz always glue them on with the slightly domed face showing. These raised edges will realy show up when its drybrushed ;)
Nuf Said.

Avatarz by KroozA and Animated Avatarz by KroozA ... Please dont link directly to them. Save one and upload it to the forum.

mo0g

mo0g

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 402 posts

Ya stuck alot of them rivetz on back-to-front so they will need the edges filing down.
When using a Leather Hole Punch to make rivetz always glue them on with the slightly domed face showing.
These raised edges will realy show up when its drybrushed ;)

Oh I hate the irony of this. I was actually going to say that in my post - I remembered reading you picking someone else up about it. Grr lol!
mo0g's Badmoons

Other stuff:
mo0g does Necromunda

MTD

MTD

Snapper Jawz

• Boyz
  • 776 posts
  • Army Name:Black Dags and the Red Blitz
Just gently expose the rivets to the flame of a candle or match and that will soften the edges without having to file every single one.
http://mekaniacmachi...s.blogspot.com/

I'm a Nutter. I do commission work. PM me.

Ghazghkull Thraka Jr

Ghazghkull Thraka Jr

Grot Oiler

• Boyz
  • 161 posts
  • Army Name:thinking
moog had done more work on it like the grot with the telescope
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH IS THE ONLY THING THAT I AM LUSTING FOR

mo0g

mo0g

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 402 posts
Dat big mek we hired to do the job has been getting slack the past few days, so we sent the ladz round this afternoon to remind him what we was payin him for. Sadly all the trains were cancelled due to a tiny amount of snow, so the boyz had to resort to sending rude text messages. Anyway, it seemed to do the trick, and here we have some more progress.

First off I added a bit more detailing to the boomgun. It's getting there but still not finished I think:
pipes_detail.jpg

Most of tonights work was done on the rear of the wagon. I'm incorporating a pipe system courtesy of the lovely Bio Toxin Plant, which is also acting as a cover for my turret control mechanism. Here's where we're at for now:
pipes_back.jpg

And here's how I've covered the mechanism:
pipes_control.jpg

The turret rotation has worked so much better than I originally anticipated, so much so that I'm going to show it off to you all in a little video:

>>Turret Rotation Video (youtube)<<

Also thinking about adding more grots, even though I don't plan on using them for WYSIWYG I think they look cool and help to add character to a tank:
grot_sides.jpg

Finally this how the overall wagon is shaping up now:
pipes_all.jpg

Cheers :cheers
mo0g's Badmoons

Other stuff:
mo0g does Necromunda