Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

first steroids for the battlewagon - later a mutation

* * * * - 4 votes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
129 replies to this topic

DocNuK

DocNuK

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 959 posts
  • Army Name:no name - why a name when i never really play
how i put my battlewagon on steroids :lol

i couldn't resist any longer and opened my bw kit after 2 weeks
the overall shape of the new bw i like a lot
but there are allready given a lot of comments here about the unproper size and a few parts like the disbalanced extra turret and the too round front gob.

whilst building my bw i first wanted to confront the size problem.

the numbers are following the original blue print

1 + 2 are similar.
thought about enlargen the tracks but decided against it

first i cut the base plate in 3 parts.
i added 2 mm thick plates of 1 x 4,5 cm at the end, 2 x 4,5 cm in the middle and of 1,5 cm at the sides,

at the bottom it looks a little messe cause of the little very thin stripes of card to give hold.
i had to be careful at the side were the triangular cabin bottom ends. there is a little step.
i cut off the little sideplate holders first and glued them back to the new position. (store them carefully - they tend to get lost very fast)

then i used again very thin plastic card plates with back pinned rivets to restore the plates of the floor.

a few randomly added diamond plates make it look like the original floor.
01_baseplate.jpg

the i cut the sideplate/wheelholderplate at the beginning of the bend where it goes inward and glued the back parts to the bottom plate.
i added a small platic rod to the nipples at the end before the end plate.
i don't know what else to get there. i think that this are joints for a big boarding plank or so (something on the extra sprue)
then adding the endplate and a small extra plate 1,2 x 1,5 cm
01_back_bottom.jpg

at the ending of sideplate/trakkholding plate i put a 1 x 1 cm plate to enlengthen the original one (1 mm thick 2 layers with spare room to fit the bottom plate)

gluing the front part of the sideplates to place and closing the gap with 2 x 1 cm card (easy when you use 2 plates of 1 mm thickness glued together 1 with 1 x 2 cm, one with 1,2 x 1 cm) i used leftover pieces to get a more ramshackeld look.
careful! keep a 1-2 mm small gap at the bottom back side close to the wheels.
the modified track cover will not fit corretly later at point 5.

as in the blueprints.
was it only me? the wheels have only 2 mm on the axis before they touch the wheel holding thing bottom parts.
02_with_wheels_tracks.jpg

the track cover plates.
they have to be enlargen to front and back.
the back is easy . 1,5 thick card. a piece of 2 x 1 cm. a littler smaller sized deck plate of 0,5 thickness with back pinned rivets, a small bottom plate for hold.

the front is tricky: for fitting cabin back door and walls correctly you have to cut off the front 2 cm or rebuild them similar.
i decided for cutting.
for the left side with the angular slit for back wall of cabin ifollowed the line f the outer side to the first holding structure thing.
insert a 1,5 thick 2 x 1,2 xm piece. luckily you can add small plates for extra hold.
don't forget to fill the little gab a the front with a trapezoid 2 x 0,7 cm card.

the back of the right side is also easy done.
for the front part cutting before the last holing point. and put in a piece of 1,5 thick 2 x 1,7 cm card.
03_tracks_cover.jpg

was now easy again.
Just add a 1,5 x 3,6 mm big plate to one side. rivets will follow later.
04_back_door.jpg
In the end, it was the Sunday afternoons he couldn't cope with, and that terrible listlessness which starts to set in at about 2:55, when you know that you've had all the baths you can usefully have that day, that however hard you stare at any given paragraph in the papers you will never actually read it, or use the revolutionary new pruning technique it describes, and that as you stare at the clock the hands will move relentlessly on to four o'clock, and you will enter the long dark teatime of the soul.

DocNuK

DocNuK

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 959 posts
7. cabin side parts fits with no problems at the original parts because there were no modifications. the railing for the platfrom needs a few more sideplates. at the front 2 x 2,3 cm . for the first i left this space open cause it has the perfect size for the boarding planks of the trukk kit. :) at the back just add 1 x 2,3 cm plate in the space and put small plates and rivets to it. 05_railing.jpg also i recognized that i forgot a little piece of floor at the front of the left railing (2 x 0,7 cm) 05_railing_at_front.jpg 8. becomes a little tricky again. first i parted the bottom bow of the window. i did this parallel to the little front plate so the window will remain its original size. than i added a 1,5 x 1 cm spacer then carefully halfed the front of the cabin with the spiky cooler grill and glued it with more spacers to the window bow. than closing it with small 0.5 mm plastic card. place for glyph or nuk logo the cabin is still removable. 06_cabin_front.jpg between in the lines of the plates i parted the roof and added a few spacers, too. filled it with 1,5 cm wide plastic card pieces and topped it with 0,5 mm riveted plates. 06_cabin_roof_and_total_view.jpg the exhaust is not added by now cause im not sure if this is the right place and/or size and/or number of exhausts :lol now it is so wide as a landraider and only a few cm longer. by total i added 3 cm to the lenght and 1,5 cm to the width. so, thats a what happend when i touches the kit at 11.00 o'clock. now its 12 hours later. :choppa
In the end, it was the Sunday afternoons he couldn't cope with, and that terrible listlessness which starts to set in at about 2:55, when you know that you've had all the baths you can usefully have that day, that however hard you stare at any given paragraph in the papers you will never actually read it, or use the revolutionary new pruning technique it describes, and that as you stare at the clock the hands will move relentlessly on to four o'clock, and you will enter the long dark teatime of the soul.

nkelsch

nkelsch

Deliriak

• Boyz
  • 2,573 posts
Wow! that is really sharp! You did a really good job! I might have to keep that in mind when building my transport wagons.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Check out all my orks!: Waaagh 'Az-ard
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

lord_blackfang

lord_blackfang

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 325 posts
  • Army Name:Nu Orkers
Bookmarked for when I get my Battlewagon(s)!

Couillu

Couillu

Grot Slave

• Boyz
  • 144 posts
  • Army Name:Dorbad grimstuff'z boyz
Really nice job! I wish I had seen this before starting mine! :)

Gaf-Naz

Gaf-Naz

Mayor of Orktown

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,992 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Gaf-Naz, Da Inter-Hive Firm
Great job so far DocNuK. :thumbs

I opened my bw kit this morning, but have only got as far as cleaning the parts and blue-tacking it together to get a feel for the kit. Can't believe you did so much work, with alot of complicated cuts, in 12 hours.

I like the all-round size increase but think that it could do with 6 wheels at the front to cope with the extra load.

i don't know what else to get there. i think that this are joints for a big boarding plank or so (something on the extra sprue)

I was wondering that too - maybe they're for a trailer attachment for future towed artillery?

Looking forward to seeing more. :cheers
Ork Town III - Terrain building competition, sponsored by Ramshackle Games.

Do you need some 6th edition fortifications for your army, a new terrain piece or an 'armies on display' board?

Then build it, paint it, post it and move into "da orkiest town in da ooniverse", and have the chance of winning a prize!

Penguin of Death

Penguin of Death

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 280 posts
Great conversion, and almost exactly what I was going to do! Though I want to take the driver's vison slit the full width of the wagon

Sukigod

Sukigod

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,082 posts
  • Army Name:Red Jack's Waaagh!
Nicely done DocNuk. It's like putting the thing in a biggafier! Great job of keeping the scale while getting that extra size out of it in a seemless fashion. I have plans tto do similar and will be looting your work to make my planning easier. Again, fantastic job.

swampy

swampy

Steel Teef

• Boyz
  • 695 posts
  • Army Name:ash wastes arsonists
Hi that looks really neat, nice work :thumbs i wouldnt be able to do something that fiddly, respect. cant wait to see what you add to the front. I am sure that this will be really helpfull to people wanting to make their battlewagons wider man i wish i had 12 hours to spend doing models ya lucky git :biggrin great stuff, cheers :cheers
"I Luv da smell uv prome-ee-fee-um in da mornin'!"

jackdoud

jackdoud

Kaptin Kork

• Boyz
  • 975 posts
Nice work blog man! :thumbs I think this will be the "standard" conversion for the BW so haveing a clean set of pics for people to look at is awesome. :cheers

Warboss Gorker

Warboss Gorker

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 234 posts
  • Army Name:Turdhammas dakka smiths
Whoa, just whoa. That is a great conversion I think I am going to like this already. You must be a god with p-card. What are you going to do with the ram or teef in front? Will you make that AWSOME too?
BECAUSE I HAVE RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS.

I am now CHAOS! Death to the false emprah! BLAGAHGAGHGAa!
Iron Warriors
W/T/D
4/1/0---------I need more challenge.

Lemmingspawn

Lemmingspawn

Ammo Runt

• Boyz
  • 150 posts
  • Army Name:Undecided
Nice job dude! That's similar to what I had in mind for the ones I've got coming. Mine haven't arrived yet, but it's nice to see someone already starting so I can formulate my plans in the meantime :) I had the idea of leaving the front as it is, but spreading the rear tracks and tray like yours is so then the rear tracks and front wheels don't follow the same footprint. I hadn't thought about lengthening it as well. Will have to put some thought into that one.

Oddballz

Oddballz

He who was Snord

• Nobz
  • 5,164 posts
  • Army Name:Da Greenmarines; Rotfang's Skroungas (still WiP)
Damn, that looks good. I was feeling pretty happy with my attempt at widening it, but this is so much better. And your revised proportions look perfect too. What really impresses me is how you've added the width by inserting panels that match the design of the original kit. I hope you're going to enter this in the Battlewagon competition.
Oddballz

"If you wants to understan' an enemy, you gotta walk a mile in his shoes. Den, if he's still your enemy, at least you're a mile away and he's got no shoes." Plateau, trollish philosopher

generalmalaise

generalmalaise

Akwatik Desert Raida

• Boyz
  • 656 posts
another big thumbs up from me you may have actually convinced me to get this kit....and send it to you for modifications (just kidding) you're bookmarked -- cant wait to see what else you modify and how.
Nothing to see here. Move along.

"Everybody's changing....and I don't feel the same."
-Keane

Deff Korp Of KRIEG

Deff Korp Of KRIEG

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 412 posts
  • Army Name:Grimsnagas Iron Clad Armoured Brigade
you stole my idea ;)
Posted Image
I did this the day I got it, I wasn't sure what to do with the roof, but thanks, I should be getting back to work with it now that you have inspired me
Cheers :cheers
DK
Grow old or die trying...
DKoK

Sorien

Sorien

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 440 posts
  • Army Name:Da Orks
Outstanding work! I probably wouldn't do it, but damn that is great idea and very well executed.

Warboss Ooan

Warboss Ooan

Vampire Squig

• Boyz
  • 110 posts
  • Army Name:Blood Axes
Interesting... I might even have to buy another Battlewagon to try this one. Very nice work!

Shabbadoo

Shabbadoo

Dreadnought Pilot

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,863 posts
  • Army Name:Bad Moons(Waaagh! Skargrim)
I think everybody has this idea. Adding about 1 inch to both the length and width seems to make the Battlewagon a very nice size. Nice looking work so far.

Ranalcus

Ranalcus

Burna Boy

• Blood Axez
  • 400 posts
  • Army Name:Kommanda DurGob Grub-Boyz
Hur Hur Hur Hur Da TruuScale Battlewagon, OFFICIALLY PROPPA! Good job DocNuk!

DocNuK

DocNuK

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 959 posts
so much replies :lol no, i didn't thought about joining the bw comp. for some reasons i didn't wanted to touch this kit before april. :) and if i read the rules correctly it is to late now. i posted too many pics. i don't think there a a lot posibilities to widen this kit so i did not claim to be the only one coming to this :) but i believe that adding a hole inch (=zoll =2.54 cm) to the width will be too much. or you have to add 2 inches to the lenght to keep the proportians again for a third wheel at the front. damned gaf, why didn't i got this idea? intention was to have more distance between wheels and tracks (i fill the space with something) by now it is not enough to get a third wheel into. doing this again sometimes means that i add better 3 cm to the length ind the middle instead of 2 cm. getting the driver's vison slit the full width of the wagon is far more easier as what i had done ('cause i was to fast with cutting) the cutting of the roof will not be in the near of the round turret mount which was very difficult. that is also something i won't do again in a second try. lets see how far i come today until real life hits me for the rest of the month.....