Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Bushwacker Battle Fortress Wrecka

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

Penguin of Death

Penguin of Death

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 280 posts
BLAM!
Big Mek Riff’s boot easily opened the small door in the side of the warehouse, this was the last one to be checked and the bigger doors at the front made it look like a garage.
Behind him he could hear to Nobs still ‘discussing’ who’d be the new Boss - he’d only had one challenge for his status and was a dozen teef up as a result – once that happened he knew that they were going to want to be out looting and they’d need at least one working Trukk to do that. The scrapyard at the back of the base held some possibilities – a superheavy sized crawler, some umie bikes, a drilling rig and the back half of a uge dumper trukk that looked like it had been crushed
Inside he thanked both Gork and Mork for his good fortune. It was the base’s garage and had enough tools and scrap to setup a new Mekshop even better than his last, even better there were 3 umie Trukks, at least one of which looked like it could be running in a day or so, but the Meks could do that – he had a plan.

So I wanted to build an Ork trukk, I like the model, but I thought it could do with being a bit longer with the same size wheels at the front as well as the back. To do this I'd need a second trukk as a donor for the wheels. Next plan - I'd make the second trukk a half track using guard wheels and tracks.

At which point I had inspiration from the strangest place...

Walt Disney.

http://www.drawn2get...the-bushwacker/

And on to the build:

Tracks - I'm not sure if I can find tracks the right size so I may end up scratching the links, the 2 smaller wheels can be from the guard tanks and the big road wheels will be supplied by Lego

Posted Image

Front Wheels - Lego again, I love Bricklink!

Posted Image

Cab - The cab in the pics is a bit too skinny and a bit too curvy, I want to be tweak it a bit to make it a bit more square and Imperial. A bit of research found me the Diamond T 969

http://www.wheelsofv... t wrecker.html

It has all of the characteristics I wanted while still retaining the look of the Bushwacker. The trukk kit will supply the driver and Imperial tank searchlights for headlights.

Body - The crane will stay to keep the Wrecka look, though it'll probably be a bit less spindly. Not quite sure what to do with the load bed - probably keep it flat to begin with for carrying boys, maybe some shootas.

More in my blog - Feenix Rising - Rebuilding the mob

big mek boomsnik

big mek boomsnik

Steel Teef

• Evil Sunz
  • 668 posts
  • Army Name:waaaagh goreteef
looks so awesome! who knew disney were so orky!
By the end of the week will it be Penelope the Piece of Pansee Dung?-dim reapa
Eh, it's a post about Ke.lets, going off topic is just getting into the spirit of things frankly.
-penelope the wonder pony
my waaagh blog http://minilink.me/mekkin%20blog!/ pic heavy!

Voark

Voark

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 259 posts
  • Army Name:Ragnork's Unyted Klans.

looks so awesome!

What, the wheel?

I for one need to see some more wip of the actual truck to say that.

Voark
"Citadel Finecast" - LOL.

jackdoud

jackdoud

Kaptin Kork

• Boyz
  • 975 posts
Looks like you've done your research but you really should have spent more time on your build before posting. The fluff text is great and all but until you get more substance you're not going to get many responses. Talk is cheap. :soap You've got a good concept now lets see you pull it off. :whip

Snodgrot

Snodgrot

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Boyz
  • 554 posts
  • Army Name:Snodgrotz Killa Skuad!

[color="#090"]BLAM!

Tracks - I'm not sure if I can find tracks the right size so I may end up scratching the links, the 2 smaller wheels can be from the guard tanks and the big road wheels will be supplied by Lego

:nono :nono :nono :nono :nono

too late buddie you showed me those wheels I wanna see a big and proppa half track now! If yah can't loot them, build them! there are some great tutorials on this site about how to do just that! So get to working yah GROT :whip

And here that poor lot. Da Bone Krusha Clan!

kill'taLot

kill'taLot

Grot Slave

• Boyz
  • 141 posts
  • Army Name:waaagh ruffsnik
:biggrin niiiiiiicccceeee !! like it a lot!! wanna see this one done :P !! me and the ladz hope ya can pull it off would be awesome... pics! pics! pics! :biggrin
orksez " TEKNOLOGEE " iz ta best 'ere iz!
afta all if 'ere iz no " ORKS ", 'ere iz no GAMES W" ORKS "HOP

live by the rule of KISS !! Keep It Stupid Simple

Grubsnikk

Grubsnikk

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 315 posts
  • Army Name:Kreepin' Deff
Very nice concept drawings, thanks for that, almost what I pictured for an upcoming wrecka....
FEELD-MARSHULL GRUBSNIKK
KOMMANDA OV DA KREEPIN' DEFF BLOOD AXES

LICHTENAUER FOR PRESIDENT!

quote: 'I like the variation on head you get plus the FB box has a nob sprue' jackdoud
quote: 'Then it isn't da waaagh's issue, we don't get ninja-lawyer'd and everyone lives happily ever after. Even the bunnies.' Blakkreaper
quote: 'If an ordered list of thread links isn't enough for you to find something then give up now and take up embroidery. cheers.gif' jackdoud

Penguin of Death

Penguin of Death

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 280 posts
Thought I should do some work on this. Started with the cab as it has to look roughly in proportion with the driver

Posted Image

Posted Image

Got some large plasticard I beams to build a chassis from and found an engine from a 1/24 Nascar in amongst some knackered kits which fits neatly in the engine bay

Snodgrot

Snodgrot

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Boyz
  • 554 posts
  • Army Name:Snodgrotz Killa Skuad!
HAHA that's gonna need a honking PROPPA LARGE engine! and you better put a gunner or something next to that driver, maybe even another driver cause that cab is huge! however so far the great work!

And here that poor lot. Da Bone Krusha Clan!

Penguin of Death

Penguin of Death

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 280 posts
The driver will get the gunner from the Trukk, though he'll need a bit of converting as the driver is going on the right - the proppa side! The cab without running boards is only 50mm wide so 2 boys fill it nicely As said the engine is from a 1/24 kit so is pretty big. The rear of the engine will go though the bulkhead and between the boyz and then under the seat. I'm going to cut a hole in the floor of the engine bay to get it to sit properly which will still leave it sticking out the top a bit so I'll only give it the back part of the bonnet, the rest will be roughly cut off. The exhaust will come out the side of the engine, through the sides of the bonnet (above the wheel arches) and head backwards The track unit will get it's own bigger, but less flashy, engine

Penguin of Death

Penguin of Death

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 280 posts
Lights are only blu-tac'd on at the moment, and the engine is hanging in space as it'll be attached to the as yet unbuilt chassis

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Scarpia

Scarpia

No Gud Lootin' Git!

• Deathskullz
  • 5,709 posts
  • Army Name:Warboss Bobz Killa Konvitkz
PoD, you don't need much modeling advice, that's clear from the work you've done so far.

I have a few questions most of which you may have considered already.

1. Overall scale. The whole thing looks - big. That's not bad, mind you, in any way, but it almost looks overscale for 40k. We all know GW stuff is underscale (or not to scale) but the cab on this looks not as much like it's stuck on a big chassis, but simply a really large cab. I don't know if that makes sense, or if it will be resolved as the build continues (or it's the look your working towards).

2. Will there be room under the front fenders for those tires? the slopes look a bit steep.

3. Engine, hood plans. Anything exciting in the works? partially exposed is always nice, but leave enough hidden to keep them guessing.

4. Kind of not liking the headlights. Not sure why, but I wonder if more modern Kenworth rectangular lights (maybe even with blackout shades) might look better.

:cheers

Ps - oh :bleep . I hope I'm not trolling again................. :eek

Edited by Scarpia, 26 November 2008 - 09:58 PM.

meh.

4tonmantis

4tonmantis

Wartrukk Driver

• Deathskullz
  • 1,654 posts
  • Army Name:Dethskulls and Badmoons...verging more on Freebooters...
hey, awesome start! Looking at the original you're on your way. I'm very interested in how you do the lift for the clearance on the tires as pictured in the 3d model. For the tracks a 1/35th Jagdpanzer tracks might be about right. I have to agree that this seems a tad largish.. not so much to me on scale as just in general as a truck. If you stick to the proportions of the 3d model this would have a fairly large footprint (I'm thinking at least Predator sized). Also not liking the headlamps to well... but to each his own.
CODE
Originally Posted by Uthan the Perverse in 'Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society'
The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We panzee who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask. We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

Check out my site and blog. Pardon the horrendous design.. it's a WiP

DA BIG ORK

DA BIG ORK

Snotling

• Boyz
  • 122 posts
  • Army Name:Da Big Orkz

2. Will there be room under the front fenders for those tires? the slopes look a bit steep.

4. Kind of not liking the headlights. Not sure why, but I wonder if more modern Kenworth rectangular lights (maybe even with blackout shades) might look better.

You gotta look at his inspiration pics. Those fenders are going to sit a good inch above the tires, which is sweet, and the inspiration truck is an old 50's Ford, so it needs those round lamps to stay true to the Disney rig. I doo agree the cab is a little too big. The charm of this original piece is the tiny passenger truck atop a monsterous set of tires and construction machinery, plus nothing sez "I looted this" like a big ork crammed into a tiny, 'umie-sized cab.

Just saw that movie a while ago, and no mek worth his grease could resist it. Good on ya, mate! Can't wait to see the crane and suspension finished.
"The only good part of a war is its ending."
- Abraham Lincoln

Penguin of Death

Penguin of Death

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 280 posts

1. Overall scale. The whole thing looks - big. That's not bad, mind you, in any way, but it almost looks overscale for 40k. We all know GW stuff is underscale (or not to scale) but the cab on this looks not as much like it's stuck on a big chassis, but simply a really large cab. I don't know if that makes sense, or if it will be resolved as the build continues (or it's the look your working towards).

3. Engine, hood plans. Anything exciting in the works? partially exposed is always nice, but leave enough hidden to keep them guessing.

Ps - oh :bleep . I hope I'm not trolling again................. :eek

I'll agree it is big, the cab itself is based around the Ork trukk driver model and doesn't look huge with a guardsman in there, where I think I have got a bit carried away is the engine bay.
Currently the running boards down the side of the cab are 10mm and are going to be slimmed down a bit, maybe I'll take a few mm off the wheel arches too

As The Big Orks says the wheel arches aren't going to be anywhere near the wheels so the're size doesn't matter

The engine is going to get extra gubbins to fill the space and will have exhausts coming out of it's sides and then out through the sides of the bay. I built a bonnet (hood) before I found the engine so it is ready to be cut up as needed. I'll probably just use the back half with a 'U' shaped hole cut in it

I'm a bit unsure about the lights myself - they keep the look of both the Wrecker in my references and the Disney truck, plus I already have them, but they are a bit big. before I consider new ones I may try them without the shades and maybe with some mesh or a metal frame over them

Always happy to answer questions

hey, awesome start! Looking at the original you're on your way. I'm very interested in how you do the lift for the clearance on the tires as pictured in the 3d model.

For the tracks a 1/35th Jagdpanzer tracks might be about right. I have to agree that this seems a tad largish.. not so much to me on scale as just in general as a truck. If you stick to the proportions of the 3d model this would have a fairly large footprint (I'm thinking at least Predator sized).

Also not liking the headlamps to well... but to each his own.

Trying to decide how technical to go for the suspension and axels at the front myself, I'm going to have a look at some Monster truck suspensions to give me an idea of what they should be like

Still thinking it'll be easier to scratch the tracks - the footprint of the tracks is goint to be larger than a Pred, at least as big as a Land Raider

You gotta look at his inspiration pics. Those fenders are going to sit a good inch above the tires, which is sweet, and the inspiration truck is an old 50's Ford, so it needs those round lamps to stay true to the Disney rig. I doo agree the cab is a little too big. The charm of this original piece is the tiny passenger truck atop a monsterous set of tires and construction machinery, plus nothing sez "I looted this" like a big ork crammed into a tiny, 'umie-sized cab.

The cab is (definately) bigger in proportion than on the original Disney truck as I wanted it to look a bit more like it could have come from a Guard truck which would be a bit less cartoony

Cheers all

Totgeboren

Totgeboren

Steel Hornz

• Boyz
  • 661 posts
  • Army Name:Gutrippaz smashaz
I think you should make the drivers compartment alot smaller. Like, if you remove the spike from the drivers helm, he should just barely fit.
Also, some extra armour instead of what looks like huuuuge windows would help with the scale.

Kinda like this.

Posted Image

Its looking promising so far, but it looks like it will turn out at about the same size as a Battlewagon, with those monstrous wheels and all.
"It is the misfortune of beings to be for us nothing else but useful showcases for the contents of our own minds."
/Harry G. Frankfurt

My orks.

My Stompa uv Deff!

My Traitor Guards and Word Bearers!

Penguin of Death

Penguin of Death

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 280 posts
If I make the cab any smaller it wouuldn't fit 2 umies, let alone a pair of boyz. It's definately going to be battlewagon sized rather thna Trukk sized, witha all the space at tback I could probably give it Battlewagon armament too

4tonmantis

4tonmantis

Wartrukk Driver

• Deathskullz
  • 1,654 posts
  • Army Name:Dethskulls and Badmoons...verging more on Freebooters...
Penguin, this really is extremely large for a truck.... almost abusively so, as it will block LOS to a large portion of your army and will possibly be the same size or larger than even the GW BW kit... let alone a Land Raider.
CODE
Originally Posted by Uthan the Perverse in 'Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society'
The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We panzee who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask. We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

Check out my site and blog. Pardon the horrendous design.. it's a WiP

Urtyfist Gorok

Urtyfist Gorok

Grot Orderly

• Boyz
  • 188 posts
  • Army Name:Da Red Fists
This reminds me of rat rods! The Idea is great, I love the big headlights actually and the shape is good. DaBlackGobbo has done some "ratty looking stuff" that came out really good. I do agree though that you need to pack your guys in there as tight as you can to make the look work. you can even have the boyz arms hanging out the window to pack them in there. if there are no wheel wells you can use as big of tires as you like too and not worry all that much how big it will make the truck
Posted Image
i see your trukk like this kinda.
Good luck, keep up the good work
Urty
"I dont get it..."

Penguin of Death

Penguin of Death

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 280 posts

Penguin, this really is extremely large for a truck.... almost abusively so, as it will block LOS to a large portion of your army and will possibly be the same size or larger than even the GW BW kit... let alone a Land Raider.

It was never intended to be anything other than 'uge! It's not really intended for gaming, more for my own amusement

Rough dimensions will be 300mmx120mm footprint and 120mm tall - roughly 1 Land Raider (minus sponsons) wide, 1 1/2 LR long and a LR + a Rhino tall