Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Waaagh Musk 40K

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Guest_Muskie_*

Guest_Muskie_*
  • Guests
So I played orks back in Rogue Trader and I don't remember winning once, all those damn malfunction cards my opponent got to play against me. I played in 2nd Edition up to and including when the first codex came out. I may have even entered them in a small local tournament. During the black codex days I started using Chaos allies getting some use of the loyalists that came in the box. Eventually I started playing my Nurgle chaos army more than my orks, then my orks shelved entirely.

The boyz were my first army so they are anything but organized. They are also painted cartoonie. After years of trying to win or at least do very well in painting at tournaments I've decided I have to lower my standards in order to play more. With all the hype over the new codex I started schemeing on what it would take to make my army legal. I have a lot of stuff. Enough to fill up an entire force org chart without buying much new stuff.

I bought the Assault on Black Reach boxed set and am of course doing a Nob over a terminator, I'm trading the loyalists away for more boys. I played Gorka Morka and painted two gangs in one weekend to demo the game at a tournaments, so some of my old RT orks escaped from their blisters or their foam cacoons and had some fun in the dessert, now I'm trying to take all my ork stuff and get it legal and on the table. This project will start in earnest next year maybe, but I've given it a lot of though, even ordered some Forgeworld bitz.

You can see my first ever orks, the metal ones that now are about the size of a grot as well as other stuff I've painted over the last ten years in this gallery.

I gotta go double check I can paint inprogress photos of my Black Reach Nob.

Guest_Muskie_*

Guest_Muskie_*
  • Guests
So it didn't say you couldn't post inprogress shots. In fact it said they were not interested as no conversions are allowed. So far I cleaned and primed by Nob black. I opted for the exact one picture in the contest thread. I new Orkhide shade on the skin, but it was so dark I think it was largely a waste of time. Then I painted an older pot of Goblin Green on the muscles, this was a bit sloppy but that doesn't matter. Then I painted more lowlights in the crevices of the skin with Dark Angels Green, finally another coat of Goblin Green and then the new Ork skin wash.

I'm not done with the skin, but clearly wash over Goblin Green or perhaps the new Foundation medium green is the new Ork skin standard...

Posted Image

Warboss Headbiter

Warboss Headbiter

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 14 posts
I used Knarloc green, highlight up with rotting flesh. Then put a Thraka green wash over it. :biggrin

Nozeminer

Nozeminer

Glorifier of Grotz

• Deathskullz
  • 2,021 posts
  • Army Name:Snotbagz Nozeminerz
It look spretty good so far but, I think you might get better reults if you used a Matt black primer. This one looks a little shiney, like it might be a Satin finish. Paints tend to adhere better to Matt finishes. :cheers
Yoo kin pikk yer Warboss an' yoo kin pikk yer noze. But, yoo kant pikk yer Warbossez noze.

"Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

Kromlech for all your Orky goodness.

Nozeminer Studioz

Guest_Muskie_*

Guest_Muskie_*
  • Guests
That primer is the GW one. I've put another 10 coats of green or washes on it and I gotta put another 3-4 tonight and then I'll post another picture. I'm putting most of my effort into the skin. I don't think I'll win, but my ork won't look like anyone else's because I'm using all sorts of odd old GW paints... Cheers,

Guest_Muskie_*

Guest_Muskie_*
  • Guests
I haven't painted that much but I've put well over ten more coats on the skin. I wanted the skin to stand out, the rest of the model will be highlighted less dilligently. I'm still not sure I'll get it done. I just have a hard time being productive...

The first picture is after three more coats of green or there abouts.

Posted Image

I took these pictures late at night so the lighting is overly harsh, I was no longer improving things with my washes, glazes, highlights, and lowlights... This will have to do for the most part.

Posted Image

Here is a slight closeup of the face and part of the arms where you can see the strirations and hopefully the gradient that built up over time...

Posted Image

No painting will be done this weekend as I'm going to Seattle, but next week I must finish everything else...

Grimshag

Grimshag

Oily Squig

• Boyz
  • 105 posts
  • Army Name:Da Armour-Geddem Steeliez
Looks gerat so far! It looks like you've got a very good skin-tone painting technique! Looking forward to seeing more.

Guest_Muskie_*

Guest_Muskie_*
  • Guests
Despite collosal slacking and a trip to Seattle I've finished painting two more signifigant parts of my Nob. He looked like he was wearing a wife beater so I painted it as such. I don't usually paint white, but mine is mostly Vallejo Grey Green with a few thin washes and some final white highlights. It is all washed out in the picture...

The pants are a dirty red, which uses a variety of colors and may receive another wash and highlight, I wanna avoid going up to orange. I'll see how it looks in the morning under the sunlight.

Here is the latest picture of the Nob.

Posted Image

Next up are some brown and black bits, plus some simple metallics. Then some more detail work to make it cool. I should get it done this week, but my CFA and Hockey Pool will suffer...

Guest_Muskie_*

Guest_Muskie_*
  • Guests
I didn't paint at all yesterday, but today I finished the leather bits and gave the metal bits a good seeing to. Anything black isn't painted yet. I may highlight the red pants more but I kinda like em dark and dirty looking.

The whole model will get some rust, grit, dirt and blood, but for now it is relatively clean. I use a lot of washes sometimes and let the black basecoat peak out too.

Here are two pics, again taken with crappy lighting late at night before going to bed. I'll have it finished this weekend and entered. Then maybe I'll post some pics of the old orks, that will be touched up, repurposed, and in some rare cases stripped. I got plenty of unpainted models and largescale stripping isn't good when you could be painting virgin models. Some OOP models are rare but especially with a horde army just paint more rank n' file rather than strip the old boyz...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Guest_Muskie_*

Guest_Muskie_*
  • Guests
I need to get this guy and basically all my painting done today because my life is way too complicated and I need to simplify it. I decided to take a picture before I had all the final details done.

The hair is completely undone and I may do some highlights on the trowsers or whatever, but I started the flames and I did the base early so as to keep his boots clean until I add my final coat of rust, blood, and gore.

Here are two bigger clicks not taken with Microfocus, but with a flash and with actual daylight coming in through my windows...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Guest_Muskie_*

Guest_Muskie_*
  • Guests
Not done yet, but the flames came out pretty good and I've mostly fixed up the skin and tidied it up. I have a few more finishing touches, but some techniques I wanna try out will have to wait until the next model.

I might add another layer of highlights to the pants of the hair, but I kinda like it dark. I gotta decide before I do any weathering, but I think I can improve the rust, so that is next.

Posted Image

Alienerd

Alienerd

Wartrukk Gunner

• Grot Rebelz
  • 1,679 posts
  • Army Name:Rebel Grotz
Skin looks perfect at the moment, just wash some badab black or similar over the boots to smooth out the highlights
How many kans can a killa kan kill if a killa kan can kill kans?

Keg

Keg

'Ead Graft

• Deathskullz
  • 722 posts
  • Army Name:Keg'z Mek 'Eadz
This paintjob is looking amazing, really top class work! I can't wait to see what the rest of your army is to look like if this is but one model. Keep up the great work! Keg

CMDante

CMDante

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 12 posts
Is this for the AOBR painting contest? I was told that WIP pics weren't allowed as the contest was to be annonymous? Nice painting regardless, I like the skin but looks like it could use a coat of dull coat to remove the shine from the inks/washes. Cheers, Dante

Guest_Muskie_*

Guest_Muskie_*
  • Guests
Before I started posting in progress shots I read the rules several times. WIP shots are not necessary to prove you painted it yourself and the two most relevant rules are 5 & 6

Please also refrain from putting your painting business/watermark logos on the picture as well as we would like to keep this as anonymous as possible (just like in all the past contests).

6. There is no WIP shot for this contest so you can enter the minis if you've painted them already. However please do not enter said minis if you have already entered them in other contests as we will disqualify you for that.

The voting will be done by the B&C guys and I never put watermarks on any of my stuff. I'm just a guy, not a mercanery painter. Besides I think it helps stay motivated having a date and an inprogress thread.

The rest of my army will not look this good. It was painted over 10 years ago and I'm going to try to expediately get it playable. I don't want to strip and repaint dozens of models, it just isn't worth it. I just want it to be playable and I can improve it a little hear and there...

Grimshag

Grimshag

Oily Squig

• Boyz
  • 105 posts
  • Army Name:Da Armour-Geddem Steeliez
Man! That paintjob is so 2nd ed! Flames and blue/purple hair, that's what orks are about! :D Love it! Good luck in the contest. Everyone will have tough opposition when competing against you! Only critique I have is that the highlights on the boots are a bit loud... you might want to tone them down a bit.

Guest_Muskie_*

Guest_Muskie_*
  • Guests
I did the Badab wash, I wanted the boots to be not brown, as the base was going to be mostly brown, but I should have perhaps done them something other than black. I'm not finished yet, assuming I don't get disqualified, I have one or two tricks up my sleave still. I also think I've painted it more since the last picture, I put more hours than I perhaps intended into it... I should be studying.

Deimos

Deimos

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 234 posts
  • Army Name:Da black tan tribe
I do like your colour scheme although I think it is quite bright but nonetheless I am a fan
check out my new blog http://uniteallaction.blogspot.com/

cerealkiller195

cerealkiller195

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 278 posts
  • Army Name:Da Unstoppable 'Ordz Uv Boss SnikkRukk
excellent work, always been a fan of you diseased sons. can't wait to see what you can do with orks. all the best.
The Wasted Warrior:
"Because no warrior should face battle sober..."

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Optimism: the ability to lie to oneself honestly...</span>

Guest_Muskie_*

Guest_Muskie_*
  • Guests
So today after having it sit for months in my living room, I built my Ikea display cabinet. I put my 40K ork army in it, even though that is my least well painted army. I've got the other two main armies I've worked on over the years already on shelves. I need to buy two more of those display cases. I forgot about some of the things I have painted, but my estimate of 60 painted boyz which includes lots of oddboyz was pretty accurate. Some of them are loners, others have a squad they belong to. Some squads are only 5-6 models as that was legal back in the day, others have 7-8 and some are 10+ but no big mobz, I just bulked them up with unpainted stuff but I had about 2000pts painted. I have a couple dreads, a couple wartrakks, a couple warbikes, a looted rhino, etc. etc. I will be working on this in December or in the new year. When I have some sunlight, I'll take a picture of the at least partially painted stuff. I plan to work on one squad at a time getting them legal, though I already can field a legal army, I just don't know for how many points. First will be the Blood Axes as that was the original squad/models I painted with just the Orks VS panzee paint set plus black and white. No washes back in the day, and questionable sealent... I'll see what low hanging fruit I can improve on the paintjob but mainly I just want them legal, gone are the Heavy Plasma Guns, I might convert the odd one to a rocket launcher, I already converted one to a skorcha in my Gorka Morka Gang So Blood Axes Badmoons Evil Sunz Goffs Noticing a pattern, I pretty much have one of everything I had rules for, I got a lot of stuff unpainted and even still in blisters. I'm going to have to do some trading or eBaying in the new year, I just got too much stuff. I don't need an army bigger than one force org chart, I've never played apocolypse so things like a third weirdboy or a fifth warboss... I don't know we'll see where things are at next summer, but I'm pretty sure I have stuff I'll never use especially loyalist bits.