> Twang!!!, Shooty ork warband?
Dribble Joy
post Jun 7 2008, 07:14 AM
Post #1

Phobiak
Group Icon

Group: Bad Moonz
Member No.: 2,391

Could a shooty Ork warband work? I've randomly got a box of Ruglud's armoured orks and I think they might be quite good as Mordheim models due to the hoods and stuff. Plus the heros can take shooting skills.
List so far:

Boss - Crossbow, sword.

2 Big 'Uns - Crossbow.

5 Ork Boys - Crossbow.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kiwi Ork
post Jun 7 2008, 06:48 PM
Post #2

Yoof

Group: Boyz
Member No.: 6,413

I think it would be a challenge to play. Giving everyone crossbows restricts their movement. Also, equipping orcs with high-points gear eliminates their traditional advantage - numbers. I don't think you can go wrong with hiring as many boyz as possible and some bow-equipped gobbos. Having said that, if you like the idea of orcs with crossbows then go for it.

+Quote Post
Kaptain Von
post Jun 9 2008, 01:45 AM
Post #3

Grot Slave

Member No.: 7,051

Crossbows on your Heroes aren't a bad idea at all. You want your Heroes to be dropping enemies early on (more experience) and you don't want them gettin' clobbered (more exploration post-game). Crossbows allow them to drop targets from very far away and to stand a bit further back. Bargain.

Crossbows on your Henchmen are a bit too expensive for models that you're not necessarily worried about losing. They use up good gold that could be spent on either more, mobile Henchmen or another Hero. Incidentally, you'll need as many Heroes as you can afford. I try not to start a Warband without five unless I'm playing Possessed, whose Heroes are all stupid-expensive. I'd swap the crossbow Henchmen out for bow-armed equivalent and whatever the Orcs' 0-experience-to-start-Hero is - for now. If you want to upgrade 'em later on when you've hit your warband's maximum size and have teef to burn, go for it. There's nothing wrong with them in the end, they're just not the best for a starting warband.

+Quote Post
Skip
post Jun 19 2008, 07:17 AM
Post #4

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

Group: Grotz
Member No.: 7,404

I think, to some extend, shooty orcs are fine! Get your heroes and give them x-bows. Get 15 boyz, let 2 become heroes and divide the rest in three groups. 2 CC groups and 1 group with bows. This brings the advantage that your heroes stay more in the 2nd row and rarely get shot or killed in combat. Nothing is bad as dead heroes..

+Quote Post
Kiwi Ork
post Jun 19 2008, 06:26 PM
Post #5

Yoof

Member No.: 6,413

I did something like this with my witch hunters. The heroes carried x-bows so they got a few kills while the henchmen did the close-up killing. It worked pretty well. Ork boyz should be good enough for hth - their T4 gives them a big edge over most opponents.

+Quote Post
Mad Trukka
post Oct 18 2008, 03:16 PM
Post #6

Runtherd
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,600

Id say go for it. i played an entire warband like this out once but i dont remember the result.

--------------------
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and
paste this into your signature. GENERATION 5 The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment

Why a Big Boss is better than Chuck Norris!:

Chuck Norris recently had the idea to sell his urine as a canned beverage. We know this beverage as Red Bull. Big Boss sells his urine also, as weapons grade plutonium.
Chuck Norris once shot down a German plane by pointing with his finger and saying "Bang". Big Boss knocked the MIR space station out of orbit by glaring at it
Godzilla is a Japanese rendition of Big Boss' first visit to Tokyo.

+Quote Post
choppastorm
post Jan 26 2009, 11:05 PM
Post #7

Grot Slave

Member No.: 9,149

I'd give the boyz bows so you will have more boyz

--------------------
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

+Quote Post
reglo
post Feb 19 2009, 10:49 AM
Post #8

Snotroom

Group: Grotz
Member No.: 9,787

QUOTE (choppastorm @ Jan 26 2009, 11:35 PM) *
I'd give the boyz bows so you will have more boyz

if you still wanna shoot... i suggest to go in PVP let the gobbos shoot among the squigs and then use a 2x weapons orcs. you can buy a bow at the boss with AB4, so you can move... also a shaman will be great. i am playing in a campaign now and my orcs still smasha, the shaman have the magic that will give all the O&G strike first in 4ui so with dagger+axe will be a nice combo too.
try your list first! but i think the orc wave will be better! heroes in PVP will hunt down opponents faster and you can get more exp!!

--------------------
The Gremlins are coming...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version |  Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 02:58 PM