Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Madd Maxx's Fuel Tanka

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Warboss GargDregga

Warboss GargDregga

Flash Git

• Freebooterz
  • 1,081 posts
  • Army Name: Waaagh! Dregga or Klan Dregga
This being possibly the most 'known/identifyable' petrol tanker in history, I just had to try my hand at converting the new Ork Trukk into it. Hopefully I have done it some small amount of Orky-Justice.

3-parts to my entry. The Model, The Tabletop, and a complete scenario with special rules.

The Model:

Firstly, I built the basic chassis with wheels using the new Ork Trukk model. To this I added plasticard exhaust stacks and a plasticard Bullbar. The plates above the wheels is just checkerplate textured plasticard. The cabin itself is a complete plasticard affair. In order to 'raise' Maxx high enough to see over the dash I had to extend the legs of his chair slightly as well. I fashioned a couple of gear levers from plasticard rod and topped them off with 2 skulls from Chaos chains (the ones from the Chaos vehicle sprues). The original gearstick from the trukk model became my 'bulldog' hood ornament.The roof-mounted horn is a mix of plasticard rod and the end of a WHFB Dwarf horn. The mirrors were made with paperclip offcuts and plasticard for the shape of the actual mirrors themselves.
Posted Image

Next came the tanker trailer itself. The trailer is a sheet of plasticard folded and glued together. The tanker 'skin' is supported by 4 oval cut plasticard pieces on the inside and each end. Over the ends I added a second layer of plasticard. To support this I added a second layer of plasticard along the length of the bottom, then 2 support strips running the length of the tank. This fitted perfectly with the second trukk chassis (cut to length). I realise there should be 3 sets of wheels on the rear, but I had to make do with what I had. (Couldn't afford a 3rd trukk kit to cut up for this model). With the wheels added and the 'towing piece' (Whatever it's called), I started on the topside of the tanker. A relatively simple walkway raised ontop of the tank. As 'doors' to the inside of the tank I used 2 track wheels from 2 Baneblade kits.
Posted Image

With the basic shape of a fuel tanker now attained (in keeping with the old-style truck shape from the Mad Max 2 movie) I started the detailing steps. First came the wheel armour. No-one, that I am aware of, makes this tressle style plasticard, so sheets of plasticard and a pin-vice and many hours later I had made my own tressle sheet. I then added strips of 0.5mm wide plasticard strips between each row of holes. The movie truck has 5-6 rows of holes but alas I had to take into account some modelling-license here. When these things are scaled down, it is near impossible to keep to exact details, sorry. With the wheel armour done, I got too making the Gun positions atop the tank. Plasticard 'boxes' basically with added 'I' beam spikes of varying lengths and widths. Inside the boxes, the new Ork Trukk Gunner and cupola fitted perfectly. (Well they did since the entire tank was made to fit them ;) ). With all that done I added an armour plate to the Bullbar, then began work on the barbed wire and the mounts for said barbed wire. Again modelling-license had to be taken here. Mounting the barbed wire caused some serious mind boggling, but eventualy I worked out the best way to do it. Thin strips of plasticard glued to the bottom tank supports, and held in place 'out from the sides of the tank' through the use of Ork Knife handles (the ones with the knuckle guards as part of the handle).
Posted Image

The beast began to resemble what I wanted, but there was much still to do. Seeing as I don't have access to the rear sectio of a Holden Statesman Sedan (the car piece welded to the rear of the tank - in the movie) I decided to use the bed from the old Ork Trukk kit. Cut to size and addorned with plasticard armour plates. Going back to the Cabin, I added some greenstuff hair to Maxx and made him a sidekick (The Feral Kid - from the movie). Feral is a WHFB Goblin with GS'd dirty long blonde hair. Maxx also needed his Shotgun, so that was also made from plasticard and sits on the dashboard of the truck. The 3 lights on the roof of the cab are just plasticard rods cut in half at an angle and glued into place. You may notice the lack of Ork in the rear section and also the lack of an Ork gunner in the rear gunbox. The Ork that belongs in the rear was currently being painted, and the rear gunbox Ork was being bid on thru Ebay at the time.
Posted Image

Next up...

PiP pics.

GD
... IT'S MADE OF PLASTIC!!!! - KROOZA

"I can fix dat." - Gooba - Baltimore Gamesday 2006.

Waaagh! Dregga Medusa V Game Tally: Ranked 5th overall in AUS/NZ region. 102nd Globally.

"Yeah, we flew our space church across 500 light years to get to this planet taken over by the orks. Now we're going to drop from orbit in buckets and run out and shoot pistols and hit people in the head with chainsaws. Ultramarines!" - Zack

Warboss GargDregga

Warboss GargDregga

Flash Git

• Freebooterz
  • 1,081 posts
Well here we go on the PiP pics.

Ferral - WHFB Goblin with GS'd hair and a plasticard metal boomerang on his back. Don't mind the hand poses, he is holding onto Maxx's Leg inside the cab.
Posted Image

Some 'detail' pics. Topmost pic shows Maxx's hair-do (STYLIN'!), and the cocked shotgun sitting on the dash. The smaller pic shows the introduction of windows to the cab. NOTE: there is only half a front window, as Maxx kicks out the other half earlier in the movie. 3rd pic - my 'money shot or movie/action shot'. ;)
Posted Image

Madd Maxx's Tanker in action on my purpose built table during one of the first run test games for the scenario I wrote just for this model. All detailing has been done in this pic, so what you see from here on, is what the finished model looks like.
Posted Image

My final shots of the tanker. With all the crew accounted for and all the details complete.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

DAMN! The blue strip on the tanker (for some reason) has turned grey in my final pics!?!?!? Please refer to the pic posted just before the 'final shots' sentence, for a true idea of the blue strip. Sorry.

Next & last post will be the pics of the tabletop, and a link to the scenario I wrote.

GD

Waaagh! Dregga Medusa V Game Tally: Ranked 5th overall in AUS/NZ region. 102nd Globally.

"Yeah, we flew our space church across 500 light years to get to this planet taken over by the orks. Now we're going to drop from orbit in buckets and run out and shoot pistols and hit people in the head with chainsaws. Ultramarines!" - Zack

Warboss GargDregga

Warboss GargDregga

Flash Git

• Freebooterz
  • 1,081 posts
ok, my final post in this set of 3.

In order to do this model justice, I also made a desert terrain tabletop (ok I wanted a desert table anyway - and this was a good excuse to do one ;) ). Nothing really fancy. 8'x4' tabletop, painted in a desert yellow 'ish colour. Foam hills and mounds painted up to resemble (as best I could) sandstone cliffs and sand dunes. Instead of forests and buildings, I made 2 standing stone bases. These count as forest bases but give a 4+ invul instead of a 5 or 6 like normal forest bases.
Posted Image

Posted Image

And now, the last part of my entry. My scenario. In this pdf you will find the usual 40K rules and quite a few new rules and even some interesting twists on current rules. This scenario has been playtested 5 times so far and Maxx has only ever managed to 'escape' once! On paper things may seem more than a little 'over the top' in some respects, but believe me. Getting Maxx of the table is no easy feat.

I present for my final instalment my Scenario - Save Da Gas! .

Yes, the pics in the pdf are my actual model with some 'learning - first time' pic editing thrown in. I hope the pics look ok to you more discerning photo editors, I had never tried this stuff before this entry.

I hope you enjoy what you see. C&C welcome as always.

GD

bad buddha

bad buddha

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 354 posts
  • Army Name:big mek Ork-skar and his inglorius bastards!
:bleep that takes the cake! i feel beaten allready! :cheers to you mate!
Dra skinnet bakåt...
a cheap hobby is not a real hobby!

Gorzag Gofasta

Gorzag Gofasta

telescoping arm

• Evil Sunz
  • 485 posts
Brilliant! My Evil Sunz will be hijacking that fuel soon. In the future you can pick up what is known as "granny grating" to some hobbyists, it is plastic mesh used for sewing projects.
"You ladz is too slow for proppa krumpin."

(Avatar by Krooza)

4tonmantis

4tonmantis

Dethkopta Pilot

• Deathskullz
  • 1,730 posts
  • Army Name:Freebootaz
...is there a speechless emoticon...? this model is so well done that I think someone could look at it and think it's a model kit... and therefore be unimpressed... similar to what happened with the Kroozada... Washing the sandchannel/armor plates around the tires would help add some detail to them but the model doesn't have alot of tabletop style OTT shading so that might detract from the look. Weathering it a bit more (especially on the sides of the tanker) would be about the only thing I could even begin to suggest... the p-card work is so emaculate that I think anything else I might even think I notice is simply in error :P
Originally Posted by Uthan the Perverse in 'Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society'
The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst.
Who are we to judge them? We panzee who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn.
And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask.
We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,663 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd
Whistle "Ya wanna get that rig outta here, ya talk to me. I saw a rig 2 day ago that could pull that tanka." That PDF rocks! Thats the real truk in the photos huh? Cool. :) The build & paint are outstanding. I :love the weathering on the wheel guards & cowskirt. The gunner in the front crowes nest is a nice touch, always on the look out. :thumbs Great job.
"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

Warboss GargDregga

Warboss GargDregga

Flash Git

• Freebooterz
  • 1,081 posts
:blush I am seriously surprised, thankyou guys. Of course, I like it, but I was unsure wether it would be of good enough standard to be this well appreciated/accepted.

For anyone who may or may not be too sure of the finer details of the truck here is a link to a screen capture (or 20 odd). I used these as source material during the build and paint stages.

Oh and yes, before anyone comments - I am missing the Orange pinstriping from my truck. I wanted to go with the straight black look.

@ bad buddha: It's just a truck. I expect nothing to come from this build. In all honesty, I wanted to build this anyway the first day I saw the new Trukk model. I also have plans for future builds (wether or not they actually happen is a different story).

@ Gorzag Gofasta: Granny Plating? ok cool. I, obviously, have never heard of it before. I'll remember that though, if I ever need tressled armour again.

@4tonmantis: Wow?! Err, thanks dude. I definitely didn't expect that sort of reaction. I am quite chuffed that it is being so well appreciated/accepted.

@ Zagursnik: Yeah, the pics in the pdf are of the my actual build with some photo editing done. I've never done that sort of thing before, so it was a real learning curve. Layers, shading, adding points of light, etc etc.... Those pics were actually quite a few hrs work in the end. But the 1st 2 pics in the pdf are really my favs. I just wish I had the forethought to save the larger pics that were used for the pdf, so I could post them up here. Ah well. Thanks again for the kind words.

GD

Boss Zurrak Stone Fist

Boss Zurrak Stone Fist

Parasite Huntin' Squig

• Grotz
  • 82 posts
  • Army Name:The Stone Fist Tribe
omg- no way- that is awesome! Haha mad max- army ideas are spinning in my head

swampy

swampy

Steel Teef

• Boyz
  • 695 posts
  • Army Name:ash wastes arsonists
Oh my gork, that model is wicked! i love it. mad max 2 was the first film i saw on video at a friends house when i was 11 i dont think i stopped talking about it for, like a week after. it still is one of the most exciting and stylish films ever made although probably not the most environmentally friendly ;) Those twin exhaust with the ends pointing out look great i've done this on a couple of my models as a nod to mad max 2, iam sure there would be no kult of speed if it wasn't for mad max. even if this was a toy oil tanker with orks stuck on id think its cool but as its totally scratch built iam completely blown away, great stuff if i fly out to oz this summer can i we have a game? i want to play that scenario soo badly, armoured walker can bring his Wez biker boss as well :thumbs if not i might do something like this at my LGS thanks for posting, made my day cheers :cheers
"I Luv da smell uv prome-ee-fee-um in da mornin'!"

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,753 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh
Well, GD, you've really surpassed yourself this time. This is one super lovely build. Very clean and professional. The level of detail leaves nothing wanting and the wealth of fluff material around it just makes it doubly impressive. I am very pleased to see that you painted grunge onto this beast. I know you paint very clean models for your army, but Mad Max really demands grunge and you stepped up to the plate on that count. I love the photoshopping you did for the pictures in the scenario book. Great way to show off an excellent build. Brilliant stuff, man.
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

waaanial00

waaanial00

Steel Teef

• Boyz
  • 697 posts
  • Army Name:Da Nidsnikz Gobmashas
Phenomenal, really speaks to the green in my heart. It puts me in mind of the latest Res Evil film, maybe you could do a convoy of ramshackle trukks to turn this into a land based Ork Pirate force stranded somewhere. Or a Mekanised column on Amageddon. Very good.
Current projects:

In short way to effin much!

Gribbly

Gribbly

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 10 posts
This is really amazing work. Makes me want to start playing GorkaMorka again.

Gorbak

Gorbak

Hair Squig

• Grotz
  • 71 posts
  • Army Name:Brave'earts
Haha! That is awesome!
Viva "SLQH..."!
Known as Undertaker at the Bolter and Chainsword.

Kaos

Kaos

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 204 posts
Dude, you looted my idea from my head!? I been looking at semi's and mack trucks past few days, and you come along and build this beast. If I build one now it ain't even gonna compare, you've done an outstanding job, the detail is awesome. Triple props salute :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs
“Hello little man. I WILL DESTROY YOU!”

morded

morded

Mendin' Squig

• Grotz
  • 74 posts
  • Army Name:Mordeth's misfitz
great build GD. and those rules are Fantastik. :P brilliantly fufilled vision of an orkified version of mad max. (not that there is much alteration needed.) hopefully you do well in the comp.
one part cunning, one part wise and many, many parts demented

da nazda system as started by Fishhead Slackjaw Mcgee (game now sadly dead and buried.)
Nazda ooc thread (for those intrested in the OOC side of things and for a bit more insight into what went on during the game.)
Loki space station side game from nazda also run by me.

da lurker is back

deffraw

deffraw

Mimic Squig

• Grotz
  • 93 posts
  • Army Name:da bush storkas
Not sure the driver looks like mel gibson.

Zogmagog

Zogmagog

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 499 posts
  • Army Name:Zogmagog's Red Menazz
I know this isn't the most constructive post, but this trukk is awesome!!! It's a combination of my two favorite things and I just can't get over how well you've put it together. Good job! Fantastic! Great work! Etc! I've had pipe dreams of building a Gorka Morka style racing game based on this movie car chase for over a year now. I'll never do it considering I can't even get my regular boyz painted, but I have been thinking of it. It's really nice to be able to see some one else do such a great job of it.
Where's da trukk?

Boss_Snarsnick

Boss_Snarsnick

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 137 posts
I freaking love that tanker!!!!! Flawles plastic card skills.
Awright ya primitiv screw 'eads.Lissen up. THIS IZ MI BOOMSTIKK!!! Waaagh!!! Its a 12 gauge double barrale shoutgun. S-mart top o' da line. It featurz a cobalt bloo steel, walnut grip an a 'air trigga. Datz roight shop smart shop S-mart. YA GOT DAT???

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,145 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun

I've had pipe dreams of building a Gorka Morka style racing game based on this movie car chase for over a year now. I'll never do it considering I can't even get my regular boyz painted, but I have been thinking of it. It's really nice to be able to see some one else do such a great job of it.

But you can download and play one! Dark Future Download from the Specialist Games Website its a fair bit down the page, and its a very oldschool game - but with a bit of inginuity you can certainly increase the size of the models you're using to 40k scale and enjoy this incredibly old school game - warning, by oldschool I mean its BC - Before COSplay.