Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Waaagh! Uk meet

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Grishgrub

Grishgrub

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,495 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Grishgrub Ironklaw / Grimtin's Remote Kontrol orks
Greetings all

Last weekend saw the second Waaagh! Uk meet up, which left me feeling even more satisfied and orky than the last one! The weekend started at 6 am on saturday for me, with de-icing my car and filling it up for the long journey from Newcastle to Nottingham. After a brief stop in Durham to pick up Dim Reapa, a confused GPS telling us that the A1 was, in fact, a field, and 3 1/2 hours in a car I finally reached Warhammer World.

With my rusty namebadge attached I was easily spotted by Brian Anderson, who I'd been in email and phone contact with about the event. He took me through to the gaming hall and showed me the huge table they'd put together for our game, and then very kindly rebuilt the staging area just so I had somewhere to put my tripod!

Posted Image

After that the attendees began showing up in dribs and drabs. Already there was Dim Reapa, and we were joined by; Keg, Tepok, Valandras, Tuff Git, Dribble Joy and Eddie the Troll. We made introductions, sorted people into teams and began the process of setting up. On the near side of the table was Grishgrub, Dim Reapa and Eddie the Troll. Facing off against the Two Bosses and a Grot were the combined Waaaghs of Dribble Joy, Tepok, Tuff Git, Keg and Valandras, henceforth called WEEDY. Because I wasn't on their team.

The objectives were placed pretty centrally in each three sectors of the board, so the battle was essentially split into three. I shall imaginatively refer to these as left, middle and right. On the left Eddie faced off against Tepok, Dim's grots (and a whole load of Eddie and Grish's tanks) were in the centre against Keg, Tuff Git and Valandras, and Grishgrub faced off against Dribble Joy's bad moons on the right.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Grishgrub

Grishgrub

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,495 posts
Turn 1 on the left saw the beginning of what was to be a truly epic battle, with Eddie destroying a tank and some killa kans with shooting. The response caused a couple of wounds on a squiggoth, which could have been much more were it not for a force field generator. A skullhamma sped forwards and disgorged a warboss and his retinue who, seeing the oncoming green tide, declared "dis is where we fight! Dis is where dey die! Waaaagh!"

Posted Image

Posted Image

In the centre Dim's forces made a mess of one of only two killa kans opposing them, but his huge line of tanks seemed unable to dent Valandras' stompa. Grish's shock attack gun supporting the centre had clearly fired one of Dim's grots by mistake, as the weedy shot failed to kill even a single loota!

Orks from both sides started getting stuck in, Dim's stormboys failing to take down a killa kan but his opponents beginning to slaugher grots. A mob of meganobs charged into a unit of cyborks, killing several but failing to break them.

Posted Image

On the right a smoke screen was dropped in front of the massive battle krawla, but the winds were unfavourable and blew it away from the behemoth. Most of the proppa orks sped forwards at full speed, while the stompa and tanks failed to damage any of the massive yellow war machines.

In return the bad moons used a precision strike, directing all their shiny yellow guns straight at the stompa. In a mass of obscenely powerful shots the stompa was blown off its feet, mek Grimtin shaking his head and muttering about "zoggin days to get that fink runnin again". The speed freeks started wondering about the wisdom of heading towards such destructive machinery. A battlewagon offloaded a mob of meganobz, who chased off a unit of bikes and stared menacingly at the advancing speed freeks.

Posted Image

The left saw the most impressive sights once more, as two more squiggoths barreled into combat and the green tide charged the warboss and his retinue. Tepok's response saw the two squiggoths shot to pieces, having left the protection of their force field. The ork body count on this side of the battlefield was humbling, fistfulls of dice being thrown and handfuls of orks falling to every combat. A dozen of the green tide fell the the warboss retinue for small return casualties, but as the tide piled in things looked grim for Tepok's boss.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

In the centre, grot revolutionary Dim Reapa became enraged when all of his massed tanks were again unable to take down Valandras' stompa. As orks poured out of a huge boat being carried across the desert by a horde of white crabs and began slaughering grots, dim's allies began to doubt the wisdom of leaving a grot to claim the centre objectives. Shoota boys piled into combat with the meganobs, orks from both sides falling prey to lightning-sheathed close combat weapons.

Posted Image

On the right, two warbosses and a unit of nobz on bikes flank marched round the back of the bad moon war machines. Proving that in a proppa game of apocalypse flank march is not simply "win on a plate", the nobs failed to destroy the skullhamma that they charged. The two warbosses managed to cause some serious structural damage to the krawla and tear off two of its main guns, but it was still very much alive and still carrying a vast amount of firepower.

The deff koptas, meanwhile, caused far more damage by destroying three battlewagons! A horde of speed freeks countercharged the unit of meganobz in the centre, destroying every single yellow armoured ork. The bad moons responded by charging 10 meganobz into the biker bosses hacking at the rear of the battle krawla, while Tuff Git's bomma used its rokkits to destroy the deadly deff koptas. The battle krawla began firing at the dread mob clanking over the objectives, but inaccurate fire saw it kill a load of truck boys instead.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Grishgrub

Grishgrub

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,495 posts
Sadly turn three was to be the last, but in most sectors of the board the battle was reaching it's conclusion. On the left the epic fighting continued, Tepok and Eddie's bosses fighting through the sea of green to come power klaw to power klaw. Despite the two warbosses falling the retinue somehow surviving the fight against the green tide! Someone needs to find out where he hired those skantily clad, spear and shield fighting nobz for his retinue...

Despite their best efforts, the squiggoths never made it into combat with the stompa and were all shot dead. Eddie's reserve units were blown to pieces by bombing runs, while an under strength warboss retinue made their way over to Eddie's back-field objective.

Posted Image

In the centre Dim made one last attempt to down Valandras' stompa, even resorting to charging it with his last mob of grots! Thus was that revolution ended; by the big metal foot of a stompa. The bad moons fighing cyborks were charged by shoota boys, but the boss of the rich gits managed to cling onto life to the end of the fight.

The big mek, so overawed by the epic battle that he'd forgotten to fire his gun last turn, began hastily pressing buttons and turning knobs. Paying little attention, he accidentally sucked another of Dim's rebel grots into the hose! The weedy git klawed and scrabbled and jammed the gun, and the mek turned the power slider up to full. Reality distorted around the big mek, clawed hands dragging him into another dimension and leaving only a dazed grot and the wreckage of a large gun.

Posted Image

On the right a unit of stormboys and a deff kopta failed to finish off the troublesome battle krawla, although it's fair to say that it was pretty crippled by this point. Behind it the last biker boss was taken out before he could do any more damage, and the bad moons proceeded to slaughter the stormboys clawing at the front. The dread mob and everything else around piled onto the two objectives, hoping to weather the last round of shooting. A skullhamma and the battle krawla both fired at them, but somehow they shrugged off the shots!

Posted Image

Posted Image

So the objectives ended as followed;
Left top; Tepok (vital objective)
Left bottom; unclaimed
Centre top and bottom; Valandras/Tuff Git/Keg
Right top and bottom; Grishgrub (one vital objective)

The result was a victory by 4-3, to Tepok, Tuff Git, Valandras, Keg and Dribble Joy!

That apocalypse battle was, by far, the best one I've played. Giant war machines, hordes of orks, tales of both incredible survival and massive destruction, and good natured playing from everyone. There was also plenty of room on the board for more players, so I hope at the next meet we'll see more than just 8 warbosses battling it out.

I wasn't sure who'd be arriving when on sunday, so I decided to have a quick game against Dim. While Dribble Joy mercilessly slaughtered Keg next to me with his scary lightning claw meganobs (weedy badmoonz), I started the day very enjoyably by crushing Dim's grot rebellion underneath my ironshod boots. I like to do this every time we meet up.

The guys from First Company Veterans had arrived in the later stages of these games, and set up a very funky ork village on the battlefield next to us. They'll be running battlewagon racing at this year's games day, and they took us through it.

The game was wonderful fun! The craziness ranged from farting squiggoths, oil spills and ramming to crazy stunt driving, bags of teef and evil suns jumping over other wagons! I suspect this'll be one of the best games running at Games Day, so if you're there get yourself to their table and have a go! I made an animation, of sorts, of the race. Particularly amusing is the line taken by the red evil suns battlewagon.

Posted Image

Sunday was a good opportunity for me to pop up to the display room to look at some gorgeous models. While a great disappointment for all of us was the lack of forthcoming ork models for us to see (someone said they should be there, but were out on photoshoot), the hall itself was not a disappointment. The models on display are stunning, all with gorgeous paintjobs that make them nothing short of artwork. Particularly wonderful for me was the opportunity to see, firsthand, models that had inspired me in White Dwarf over 10 years ago when my hobby started.

Next up were the competitions! We held a painting competition and a conversion competition, with the winner decided by public vote. Oddly enough both competitions saw two entries tied for first, but fortunately a rather proppa man called Brian Aderson had come over so we got him to decide the winners. First off, the runners up;

Runner up in the "Styrene Spanna" conversion competition 2008, Dribble Joy;

Posted Image

Runner up in the "Golden Grot" painting competition 2008, Eddie the Troll;

Posted Image

Winner of the "Styrene Spanna" conversion competition 2008, Grishgrub's Bigmek Command Tank!

Posted Image

Winner of the "Golden Grot" painting competition 2008, Dribble Joy's Warboss Nuggruz!

Posted Image

Another battlewagon race later the day was over, and we parted ways. While I was initially slightly disappointed by the turnout, I felt that the event was great fun and I have high hopes for the next (at a time that isn't right before exams). Since I had such a good time, I'll finish this off with a few thankyous;

Thanks to everyone who turned up! Wouldn't have been much of a meet without you.

Thanks to Eddie the Troll and the First Company Veterans for bringing along battlewagon racing; sunday was vastly improved by it!

Most of all thanks to the warhammer world staff, especially Brian Aderson. At every point in both organising the meet and the weekend itself, I was treated as though I was doing him a favour by coming. He was more than happy to help in any way we asked, and kept popping over to check that things were still going well. I always love going to Warhammer World, the atmosphere's like nowhere else, but at this meet I felt like we were wanted there too. Thanks!

To finish off, a picture of the proppa warbosses (minus one early leaver);

Posted Image
Tepok, Valandras, Eddie, Grishgrub, Dim, Dribble and Keg

Redtoof

Redtoof

Stormboy

• Snakebitez
  • 1,391 posts
  • Army Name:Da Viperz
I so wish I didn't have this crappy exam and I could have gone! The apocalypse game looks fantastic with all those painted orks and war machines. (And squiggoths...)

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Thinks hes NTMBK

• Deathskullz
  • 4,380 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAAGH! Blooskull
Tepok and Eddy's battle was truly epic! It was almost like we had another entirely different Apocalypse battle going down on the right side of us. Their absolute swarms of green have inspired me to get some actual boyz painted up in time for the next get together. :blush I'm definitely going to have to come up with some sort of skirmish shield- I had a swamp of gretchin washing around my tanks, it was pretty grim. (Although I was considering making the suggestion that an anti-plant bombardment would work on Grotz, they're basically mobile terrain anyway. ;) ) Wish I could have made it to Sunday now, but never mind. I was driven down by the parents and I think talking them into staying overnight in Nottingham might have been pushing it a bit. :lol

eddie the troll

eddie the troll

Da Mole

• Boyz
  • 1,034 posts
  • Location:At the center of my universe, Whangarei, Noo Zeelund
  • Army Name:Which Army are we talking about?
There was another battle going on? That's what all the noise was! Excellent report and photos Grish, now I know what went on in the other battle. Never leave a zoggin' grot to do a nobz work Still, we'll have 'em next time, I'm building a catapault to launch the squiggoths :thumbs It'll work, trust me :biggrin
the voices in my head sound better as a choir

War isn't about who's right... war is about who's left...

Sumus ubi Sumus

Valandras

Valandras

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 235 posts
  • Army Name:Warboss Goldgobs Gitsquishas
Stand proud ladz, stand proud. :( :thumbs
Stomp! Stomp!!! STOMP!!!

"Never try to run away from a tyranid. They will catch you and eat you. Then again, you could always climb a tree. Then you'll get a nice view before the knock the tree down and eat you."

QUOTE (eddie the troll @ Apr 16 2008, 08:36 PM)
Any time, any place, any Waaagh

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Thinks hes NTMBK

• Deathskullz
  • 4,380 posts

Still, we'll have 'em next time, I'm building a catapault to launch the squiggoths :thumbs It'll work, trust me :biggrin

Posted Image

Valandras

Valandras

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 235 posts
:rolleyes That'll work
Stomp! Stomp!!! STOMP!!!

"Never try to run away from a tyranid. They will catch you and eat you. Then again, you could always climb a tree. Then you'll get a nice view before the knock the tree down and eat you."

eddie the troll

eddie the troll

Da Mole

• Boyz
  • 1,034 posts
  • Location:At the center of my universe, Whangarei, Noo Zeelund
  • Army Name:Which Army are we talking about?
Ahh, Air Squiggoth. Needs bigger gunz, and the in flight movies a repeat Hmmmmm................... Hmmmmm...................
the voices in my head sound better as a choir

War isn't about who's right... war is about who's left...

Sumus ubi Sumus

Tepok

Tepok

Skarboy

• Freebooterz
  • 1,447 posts
  • Army Name:Evil Moonz (Pirates)
Wow, I look like someone close to me just died :P Tepok

Proppa Unproppa

Keg

Keg

'Ead Graft

• Deathskullz
  • 718 posts
  • Army Name:Keg'z Mek 'Eadz
It truly was amazing, an absolutly amazing battle followed by some more amazing battles, then some racing (Of the table top sort ;)) Some great competitions and some freebies, truly an amazing day, maybe next time I will have my list complete ;) Shame it only lasted for the weekend, when I got home I thought to myself "Wow- That was bloody fast!" But I certainly look forward to the next one. And thanks to Eddie for providing me a free taxi service back to the hotel, thanks mate! Keg

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh
Great job, ladz. Thanks for the report and pics, Grish. It's always great to see hoards of painted Orks in action. Sounds like a good time was had by all. Now someone please caption the pic so we know who's who. ;)
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,564 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd

Now someone please caption the pic so we know who's who. ;)

Dats what I was finkin!

It was cool seeing models that were developed in threads in action. :cheers Looked like a lotta fun.
"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

Da Grimpond

Da Grimpond

'Ead Graft

• Blood Axez
  • 731 posts
next time i will be there!!

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Thinks hes NTMBK

• Deathskullz
  • 4,380 posts
Okay, I'm not on the group photo, but from L-R it goes Tepok, Valandras, Eddie the Troll, Grishgrub, Dim Reapa, Dribble Joy, Keg.

Valandras

Valandras

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 235 posts
I would also like to extend my gratitude to Eddie for his very kind (and free) taxi service. And as to your PM Eddie, I think you're the only one who noticed! Hey, I'm the only one not striking a dramatic pose!
Stomp! Stomp!!! STOMP!!!

Keg

Keg

'Ead Graft

• Deathskullz
  • 718 posts
  • Army Name:Keg'z Mek 'Eadz

Hey, I'm the only one not striking a dramatic pose!

Actually I disagree, you are doing one of those "Where the hell am I and who the bloody hell are these people?"
Keg

Grishgrub

Grishgrub

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,495 posts
Dim's always good for a photo;

Posted Image

Redtoof

Redtoof

Stormboy