Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

MegaNob walkthrough

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Cato

Cato

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 37 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Gor-Snik
This is a celebration of the Mega-Armour Template that I saw Drabber had created. I was blown away by the detailed thought he'd stuck into this template, so I thought that I'd have a go. Obviously I couldn't follow it exactly cos I've got fat fingers, but I did what I think is a pretty good job. I found it so cool to finally hae a dynamically posed Mega-Armoured Nob, that I made more, and loads of my kids (sorry folks, teacher here) said Ooooh, howd'you do that? So I thought I'd try my hand at one of the famous Waaagh forum 101's. Before you tear it to shreds, please note, borrowed camera, fat fingers, clumsy with glue... having said that, I've made mistakes with this model, so feel free to pick them out and highlight them. Drabbers mega armour Meganob_2.jpg Meganob_4.jpg These parts are visible all together on the paper template, but when cut out of 0.8mm plasticcard should be taken apart and glued onto each other, each piece can be assembled separately. Meganob_5.jpg Meganob_6.jpg once assembled, they should slot together smoothly, and then be glued. This gives you the shape of the torso. Now the nob I made for this has the very top of the torso the'wrong way round', but when comparing him with another made Blue Peter style (earlier), this only served to add variety, and lost no structural integrity. Meganob_10.jpg Now that hese pieces have been joined together, we need to connect the lower half of the body on. Drabber's link had mentioned using greenstuff for the ork inside, but since my greenstuffing skills are limited to glyphs, fur and mouldlines, I went for the 'hack up an ork' route, which has worked surprisingly well. So we take one pair of ork legs, cut off the belt and round off the top. The feet go, and the folds of trouser should be smoothened away. If they are turned square, this is not a problem as we will see later when it comes onto sticking the greaves on. On top of the legs glue a piece of 8-ish mm tube, cut in half, with a smaller piece of tube on top of it to conect later to the bottom of the thorax. Around this, we can stick another slice of larger tube to make it look like the torso is hinged/can rotate. Then we can glue the torso to the legs. Try to angle the join so that you create a more dynamic pose. My first one had less of a twisted waist and has ended up in a bit of a Homer Simpson pose... not cool. And no, there are no pictures of him. Meganob_16.jpg Now hack up an ork torso, shave off the sides, until it fits, and carve off the bottom, until it fits. (anyone else out there like my exact measurements???) You will need to take off a bit of the bottom of the torso, and cut out the shelf that seems to get in the way. Once he's in correctly, you'll know. He does stick out of the back a bit, but you can shave that flat, and later on stick on some gubbins to enginify him a bit. More in a bit, I'll come back and edit this to continue it (Nicotine fix). Don't comment too negatively until you get to the final piece, here is a taste, crit away!!!Meganob_33.jpg

Kr00zA

Kr00zA

Grumpy ole Git

• Goffz
  • 9,989 posts
  • Army Name:Big Berk'z Bashaz
Nice build... though I dont think you needed to post this thread four times ;)
Nuf Said.

Avatarz by KroozA and Animated Avatarz by KroozA ... Please dont link directly to them. Save one and upload it to the forum.

Styx6942

Styx6942

Grot Orderly

• Boyz
  • 182 posts
  • Army Name:Death Leportds
The template link isn't good...there is nothing there...

Cato

Cato

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 37 posts
Not sure what you mean about four times Krooza, I might have messed up trying to post it a few times, but I didn't think it had gone through. If you mean for me to stop doing this, then I will. Styx, if you want to e-mail me at a.searby@costello.hants.sch.uk, then we can see about that..... Now! On to the feet Meganob_17.jpg The greaves can be made up into one piece, but I foiund that to not really fit very well. My better results were found by cutting the individual pieces and smoothening the grey leg and glueing the front on first. Then add on the sides and slap on the back bit. Job's a good un. Meganob_21.jpg Now the fiddly bit. Worth it though cos they make the model distinctive, but feet?! Aaargh. Cut the pieces, glue the sides onto the base. Then cut the three heel sections and slap the base down on the inside of the foot-front, build up the sides and that's a foot done. Do two. Always a hit. Stick them on in a way to further the dynamic pose, if that's what you're going for. This is the only place that you might have to add something inside the plasticcard to fill out the space if one is left by the pose, green stuff or bit of plastic rod. Meganob_23.jpg We can now turn him upside down and add a bit more rounded card over his bum. Now he's properly in his suit. Meganob_25.jpg Now we add on some rings of card, and add on some normal orky arms. I found that this is good enough for the look of what is underneath the armour, without me having to greenstuff anything. Plus it really gives me a pose to work with. Cut out the bits, make two boxes and there are his hands/gloves. We can add a power claw to one side, which I have left unglued until the pistons are added. These boxes are a bit big for my personal taste, so I am making them thinner, but bulking out the outside with gubbins/werky-bits. I did that by glueing onto the actual hand on either side, clipping the top level and covering the top and bottom with more card, that achieved the box shape, but without the hassle. So either is applicable, depends on personal preference. Meganob_37.jpg That's as far as my photographic journey has taken me, more later, if it is considered appropriate

Kr00zA

Kr00zA

Grumpy ole Git

• Goffz
  • 9,989 posts
  • Army Name:Big Berk'z Bashaz
Check out the Mek Garage and you will see you have managed to post this thread a total of four times. The other three threads dont have working picz. I dont know weather this is something you did... or an internet problem. I was merely making you aware of it... not sudjesting you should stop posting. This is a pretty good blog so far. Off to Da Oila'z with it! EDIT: The HQ have kindly deleted the other posts so now ;)
Nuf Said.

Avatarz by KroozA and Animated Avatarz by KroozA ... Please dont link directly to them. Save one and upload it to the forum.

ymmot

ymmot

Ammo Runt

• Boyz
  • 151 posts
my socks have been knocked off. Neat! :thumbs

big boss gold toof

big boss gold toof

Grot Rigger

• Boyz
  • 172 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAGH .......What ever I feel like at the time !!!
Searby you meppet KrOOzA is right you have managed to post this thread 4 time :lol Ive seen these mega armoured boyz inperson and they are AMAZING!! there is soooo much you can do to these guys. An idea for ya, why dont u try making a larger body suit n use the nob body on the boys sprew. (if it is any bigger that is) ;) Well done m8 keep churning 'em out :thumbs Gold Toof (Toad)
If You can't Beat 'Um... Use A Bigga Stick

Gorzag Gofasta

Gorzag Gofasta

telescoping arm

• Evil Sunz
  • 485 posts
Well done! That is an excellent scratch build, I like it better than the GW model.
"You ladz is too slow for proppa krumpin."

(Avatar by Krooza)

drabber

drabber

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 560 posts
  • Army Name:the Orkin Armada
Great work, congrats! Glad to see you making good use of my template, and you've done a fine job of detailing it and tricking it out... Keep up the good work! -drabber

Batou

Batou

Grot Rigger

• Boyz
  • 172 posts
  • Army Name:Da Horde of Damorkleez
Wow. Very good indeed! These "101" guides rarely actually inspire me to get off my rear and dig out the plasticard, but these Meganobs are priceless. Cheers! ps, I'm in teaching too, although in Surrey - must be something about herding 30-grot mobs around with a whip that relates to teaching :whip :D

Captain Destructo

Captain Destructo

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Boyz
  • 526 posts
  • Army Name:There isn't one.
These are really incredible. *Inspired*. Thanks for sharing. :)

oberst_kramer

oberst_kramer

Kommando

• Bad Moonz
  • 967 posts
  • Army Name:Tuznik Boneshaka' 'Eavystomping Horde
Definitly worth a try or three! Off to finish the Gargant to try these! Thanks for sharing!
More Krumpin' and less talkin'

Jean-Luc Picard ends with 'Ard!

"There's a difference between bein' Smart boy an' bein' a Smart Git Gimzod"- Kommanda Uzgob, from Deff Skwadron

Waaagh Tuznik's Noo Codex kill tally sofar: W:18 D:3 L:3

Toxic_Bunny

Toxic_Bunny

Steel Teef

• Grot Rebelz
  • 685 posts
  • Army Name:Big Lenny's 'alf-Pints
The link is a non-existent one - could it be replaced with one that is active as I am curious to see if these designs can be minimized to fit a grot :)

nevamind - did a username search and found the topic: http://www.the-waaag...p...c=29199&hl=
Always stay true to Ork beliefs: Bloo is lucky, Red makes fings go fasta, and rivits can fix ANYTHING!!!

Big Lenny's Death Skull Rebellion

Captain Destructo

Captain Destructo

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Boyz
  • 526 posts
  • Army Name:There isn't one.
Could we get a scaleshot with another MA nob, if you have one?

Cato

Cato

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 37 posts
Thanks for all the interest folks, really made me feel good. Sorry I do not have a comparison with an old metal nob, mostly because of my inability to make metal models stay together. I will endeavour to produce a 'Barry' pic, but that will have o wait until I get the camera back... As for now, I have the model to the stage where we now add gubbins.Meganob_39.jpg In order to make some kind of engine-thingie, I used the motor from the chainsword, I use that for loadsa things. I also took interesting shaped bits of plastic from my bits box and whacked the onto the back, covering up the back of the torso. Meganob_44.jpg Then it's piston time. Simple, take a 4mm length of tube, insert rod and glue. Not simple, making it look like it belongs. Now I'm not brilliant at this, but I found that flattenning one side of the tubing made it glue better and fit more flush, but it s the phase of construction that I am least pleased with. Meganob_45.jpg The pistons on the PK are more simple as there is room for the attachment points above and below. Simply add on a tiny chunk of card on either side of the tube after it is glued on, later we can rivet this. Meganob_46.jpg those same bits of card can be attached to the back of the greaves to the ankle piston. Meganob_51.jpg the weapon is simply tubing and thinner tubing, with the odd magazine and a few strips added on as ports. Later on the gets riveted to finish it off. Meganob_48.jpg The riveting process of ... well, riveting. Part way through, and hours of fun. Sorry about the lack of pics of the process, but I am sure anyone can figue THAT out, and anyway, I've started to paint the model now. His buddy, the finished one from earlier is now painted, and I am debating seriously whether or not I actually post that one, as he has been entered in my local GW 'Pink Painted Model' competition in support of breast cancer, so they currently have a pink, one-eyed nob in their window, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,549 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd
Great use of Drabber's teplate, even a few improvements on it. These are awsome builds. I like the use of the hacked up biy but you should at least try to bulk up the mucsels, it would really fill out the suit more. I've been plannin on doin this to fuill up my own meganobz mob up to 10 thanks for some fresh ideas!
"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

oberst_kramer

oberst_kramer

Kommando

• Bad Moonz
  • 967 posts
  • Army Name:Tuznik Boneshaka' 'Eavystomping Horde
Post yer pink Nob, I don't care if my eyes end up burning or not, I just wanna see the final product!
More Krumpin' and less talkin'

Jean-Luc Picard ends with 'Ard!

"There's a difference between bein' Smart boy an' bein' a Smart Git Gimzod"- Kommanda Uzgob, from Deff Skwadron

Waaagh Tuznik's Noo Codex kill tally sofar: W:18 D:3 L:3

Gorbak

Gorbak

Hair Squig

• Grotz
  • 71 posts
  • Army Name:Brave'earts
Hey,this is awesome! Thank you! :thumbs
Viva "SLQH..."!
Known as Undertaker at the Bolter and Chainsword.

Blackbone

Blackbone

'Ard Boy

• Blood Axez
  • 840 posts
  • Army Name:Blood Axes
Uh-oh! I think your meganob is better than the store-bought one! Damnit, now I'm going to have to make some. That powerklaw is so looted. - Blackbone
Do you ever do something and think, “that’s so Raven.”

smokingmonkee

smokingmonkee

squig attack arm

• Deathskullz
  • 450 posts
  • Army Name:Da Arch Nayv Radek Ug Skumgrubba and Da Mad Kleptos
Very nice. I have to make some of these for my Deffwing and your thread helped me understand the template. Thanks!!! :cheers
-YOINK!!!-