IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lootas, Rootin, Tootin, Lootin & Shootin!
Rating 5 V
Gaf-Naz
post Dec 23 2007, 06:48 AM
Post #1

Mayor of Orktown
Group Icon

Group: Bad Moonz
Member No.: 1,210

I've not been around much recently due to work, but I have been keeping it green.

Once I read the new codex I knew I needed some Lootas in my growing waaagh for the krazy amount of dakka they can generate, so I've raided my bitz box and the new spearhead and started on a squad of 15.

First 4 are stock models from the spearhead - just added a few gubbinz to some of the less detailed areas:

The next 4 are the product of a deep bitz-box - 3 are still to have left arms added by the Dok. winkingOrk.gif

5th one - extended belt-fed big shoota with underslung melta and auxillary rokkit:

6th one - lascannon with drum-fed heavy stubber:

7th one - clip-fed autocannon with underslung burna:

8th one - drum-fed autocannon with underslung flamer and shoota:

Hope to get 7 more made by the 27th when I have to field 7000 points of orks against 2 skumgrods. dakka.gif

Watch this space for updates. All C&C appreciated. cheers.gif

--------------------
Ork Town III - Terrain building competition, sponsored by Ramshackle Games.

Do you need some 6th edition fortifications for your army, a new terrain piece or an 'armies on display' board?

Then build it, paint it, post it and move into "da orkiest town in da ooniverse", and have the chance of winning a prize!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Greenskin87
post Dec 23 2007, 06:59 AM
Post #2

Puffball Fungus

Group: Grotz
Member No.: 5,826

Nince Guns!! I like them very 'Uge and 'Urty! dakka.gif
You put them all on large bases, i suppose cos ove falling over reasons?
All in all a nice job, must look great painted

+Quote Post
brutalis
post Dec 23 2007, 07:39 AM
Post #3

Explosive Kranium

Group: Boyz
Member No.: 2,997

Awesome work. These are very well done and are easily equal to the new ones. Congrats.

+Quote Post
Keg
post Dec 23 2007, 08:47 AM
Post #4

'Ead Graft
Group Icon

Group: Deathskullz
Member No.: 4,856

These look amazing, well done. I hope to see them paintd soon, keep up the good work!
Keg

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mad Grot Docsnik
post Dec 23 2007, 08:48 AM
Post #5

Head Honcho
Group Icon

Group: Nobz
Member No.: 2,231

Some very nice builds, G-N. The will make a lovely mob. I'm hoping you're going to do some over the shoulder mounts like the new lootaz because I'd really like to see what you come up with. cheers.gif

--------------------
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

+Quote Post
Brother Promethe...
post Dec 23 2007, 10:31 AM
Post #6

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

Member No.: 411

Hmmmm me likes them !

now get those painted ! biggrin2.gif

+Quote Post
bad buddha
post Dec 30 2007, 07:12 PM
Post #7

Slugga Boy

Member No.: 2,770

i will definetly be looting some of those! biggrin2.gif

--------------------
Dra skinnet bakåt...
a cheap hobby is not a real hobby!

+Quote Post
Widge567
post Dec 30 2007, 08:30 PM
Post #8

Runtherd
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,763

Definatly love the look of those lootas from 'the deep of the bitz boz'

Nice lootin'the arms from the burnaz

--------------------
Founder of the Bone Crumpin' Boyz
Lead by Warboss Nagrak

+Quote Post
Warboss Kurluk
post Dec 30 2007, 09:08 PM
Post #9

Oily Squig

Member No.: 4,458

Nicely done, my scratch built lootas apparently will need more bitz as they look plain compared to these

--------------------
Clear the battlefield and let me see
All the profit from our victory.

photos: www.pbase.com/stecal

+Quote Post
gnat
post Dec 30 2007, 09:37 PM
Post #10

Lost In Da Warp
Group Icon

Member No.: 8

really fun stuff. I'm happy to see you using the new burnaboy backpack/harness bitz for lootas.. that's just the sort of thing I was planning on doing.

I cant help but feel like the over-the-shoulder lootas feel a little bit awkward, nothing to do with your skills in assembly, I'm just not convinced by the original sculptor's weapon harness. maybe my opinion of them will improve when I see them in person, but in the photos I've seen, the pose just feels unnatural. it's probably due to the limitations of casting, but the left arm just feels really tacked on and uninspired.

anyway, my misgivings on the base models aside, I really dig the conversions! I can't wait to start mucking about with them myself!

--------------------
"a burna template is worth a thousand words...." -Nightserpent

+Quote Post
Gaf-Naz
post Dec 30 2007, 10:52 PM
Post #11

Mayor of Orktown
Group Icon

Thanks for all the feedback guys. cheers.gif

Greenskin87 - I tried smaller bases but thought the massive guns made them look crowded. I think the larger bases look better, are more stable and allow for some cool bases - I'm thinking piles of spent shell cases. dakka.gif

MGD - Your wish is my command - see the new boys below for shoulder and harness mounts in progress.

gnat - the new models are definitely full of great bits, but the poses are somewhat off to my eyes too. Your comment about the left arms appearing redundant made me smile as in this month's white dwarf they mention that they chose the new design for lootas so as to give the left arm something to do. winkingOrk.gif

Managed to get a bit more done in between recovering from xmas and playing aporkalips for the first time - my tacked together lootas ripped through panzee guardians and vypers with ease. thumbs.gif

4 more boyz started - all still heavily WIP but I thought I'd share my progress.

#9 - twin-linked big shoota. Will probably get a rokkit too:

#10 - multi-melta and kustom slugga. Am planning a large backpack to generate power:

#11 - twin-linked dakka guns and kustom shoota:

#12 - twin-linked dakka guns, slugga and rokkit:

For the last 2 I've tried to replicate the harness that the new models have - still some way to go - will add alot more bracing and straps.

The whole mob so far:

Won't have much time over the next few days for orkiness, but hope to get these guys finished next weekend.

All C&C appreciated. cheers.gif

--------------------

Do you need some 6th edition fortifications for your army, a new terrain piece or an 'armies on display' board?

Then build it, paint it, post it and move into "da orkiest town in da ooniverse", and have the chance of winning a prize!

+Quote Post
CannibalBob
post Dec 31 2007, 01:20 AM
Post #12

GuildBoss Skabnoze
Group Icon

Group: Blood Axez
Member No.: 1,146

Very nice stuff. I was planning on using the burna-boyz straps for my lootas as well. Great minds think alike I guess!

I like the big bases as well. You can do a lot more decorative stuff with a large base and they are less prone to falling over. The unit is a bit larger to deploy - but these guys tend to sit at the back anyways.

I was planning on ordering a bunch of resin bases to update my army, and I think I will order extra 40mm bases.

--------------------
Freebooter Fungus Lager: Only da Finest Fungus!

+Quote Post
Mud
post Dec 31 2007, 02:17 AM
Post #13

Puffball Fungus

Member No.: 6,013

I am thinking some of this may be dangerously close to Flash Gitz, being new to orks and having read the codex, the major diffrence being the eye targeter between the two and the flasy bling incorporated on the flash gitz models themselves.

Now my observation aside, very cool work done there and to be upfront and honest, plan on stealing some of those ideas for mine, as I have the spearhead as well.

Nice work!

Mud

+Quote Post
Snogrot Beaky Ba...
post Dec 31 2007, 05:14 AM
Post #14

The Fun Slayer
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,832

BRILLIIANT! thumbs.gif

+Quote Post
gnat
post Dec 31 2007, 05:49 AM
Post #15

Lost In Da Warp
Group Icon

Member No.: 8

QUOTE(Mud @ Dec 30 2007, 10:47 PM) [snapback]411741[/snapback]
I am thinking some of this may be dangerously close to Flash Gitz, being new to orks and having read the codex, the major diffrence being the eye targeter between the two and the flasy bling incorporated on the flash gitz models themselves.

Flashgitz have nob profiles, and so it would make sense to use nob models with upgraded shootas for that unit.

--------------------
"a burna template is worth a thousand words...." -Nightserpent

+Quote Post
Dreachon
post Dec 31 2007, 06:07 AM
Post #16

Lobotomy
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,566

Loota deffguns are just so much fun to convert yourself, I'm working on 6 new weapons myself and I might have to loot some of your ideas, so got plans for the remaining deffguns, you know you want more.

+Quote Post
Oddballz
post Dec 31 2007, 06:14 AM
Post #17

He who was Snord
Group Icon

Member No.: 175

These are very cool. I think you've managed to capture the feel of the kits with your variations - some of yours look just as good as the kit versions. Judging from the group shot, it's going to be a great looking unit. I think long-barreled guns look best on these guys, as they suit their long range; as with everyone else, I will be shamelessly stealing your ideas for my Lootas cheers.gif

As for the comments about the basic kit's design, I think they look much better in real life. The approach they've adopted allows them to put detail all over the model. It also means the guns can be big - if they'd been posed the same way as the Orks carrying bit shootas and rokkits, then the guns would have had to be quite 'flat' so as to clear the ground and leave room for the Ork's head. They also made the point in the design notes in WD that this configuration means the Lootas are easier to see amid a sea of green models. And of course you can always make some of your own in a different pose, as Gaf Naz has, do add some variety.

QUOTE(Mud @ Dec 31 2007, 01:47 AM) [snapback]411741[/snapback]

The single converted Flash Git in the codex is based on a Nob figure, and his gun is pretty large. Gaf Naz's are all pretty close to the official models, so I think they're the right amount of kustomisation. I suspect we'll be getting metal Flash Gitz in due course...

--------------------
Oddballz

"If you wants to understan' an enemy, you gotta walk a mile in his shoes. Den, if he's still your enemy, at least you're a mile away and he's got no shoes." Plateau, trollish philosopher

+Quote Post
Kronork
post Dec 31 2007, 08:20 AM
Post #18

particularly odious and dishonest barrister
Group Icon

Group: Speed Freaks
Member No.: 283

These look really good, the conversions to do more Lootas is very nice, great stuff. thumbs.gif

Look forward to seeing a unit painted(the waaagh first?).

Cheers

--------------------

Hac in hora,
sine mora,
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem, sternit fortem
mecum omnes plangite!

+Quote Post
Warboss Kurluk
post Dec 31 2007, 09:12 AM
Post #19

Oily Squig

Member No.: 4,458

Ok, you convinced me -- I was sitting on the burna sprue and the plastic rockit & big shoota until I figure out what to do with it. Now they are dedicated to more lootas.

I love the multimelta loota gun you made - now I must copy it.

--------------------
Clear the battlefield and let me see
All the profit from our victory.

photos: www.pbase.com/stecal

+Quote Post
Gaf-Naz
post Jan 2 2008, 07:29 PM
Post #20

Mayor of Orktown
Group Icon

Cheers for the komments guys. cheers.gif

Glad some people are planning to loot my loota's looted loot. biggrin2.gif

Kronork - the new codex means I've had to change every unit in my waaagh, so now I don't have a single completely painted unit. Getting these boyz done would be a Gaf-Naz first, let alone a Waaagh first! laughingOrk.gif

Mud - being a proppa Bad Moon, these guys were always going to end out flashier than your average loota. Any lootas hanging around in Gaf-Naz's warband are bound to 'acquire' the flashiest guns. winkingOrk.gif

But this does leave me with the dillemma of making my planned flash gitz mob look sufficiently flashier - that's for another day though.

Got one more done (minus left arm). He's packing a heavy bolter and heavy flamer combo:

Only 2 more (plus alot of extra detailing and left arms on the other 13) to go and they'll be ready for dakka.gif

More tomorrow night. All C&C appreciated. cheers.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version |  Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 11:07 AM