Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Custom Cutta

* * * * * 3 votes

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Morgash

Morgash

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts
Here's a Grot Cutta I've been working on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm still working on it, it needs a driver/steering wheel. I've also got to put a sail on it does anyone have any suggestions for how to make a sail?

geoff123

geoff123

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 336 posts
  • Army Name:Taking Care of Business
Looks pretty solid so far, though I don't know what an actual grot cutta is supposed to look like. Judging by the quality of your other conversions though, I think this will turn out great. The wheels are the main area that need work at the moment. I have no idea on the sail, perhaps a bendable sheet of aluminium would work.

ArchFiendofDezdemon

ArchFiendofDezdemon

Grot Slave

• Boyz
  • 144 posts
  • Army Name:Warhorde of the Archfiend of Desdemon
That is a great base for a Grot cutta. What kind of materials are you going to be useing for the body/rideing area of the cutta? A good idea for the sail of the cutta is to take some cloth material and layer it with watered down PVA glue so it will become firm and paintable. I've done this with a few of my undead ghost ships for the Fantasy ship battles and it works wonderfully. Unless you have an idea in the works of your own. Looks great so far and I'm looking forward to seeing it finished. I've always loved the Rebel grots though I just can't bring myself to building up some of them.
"Da quiet ones made of metal. I fink dey are too easy to break. Da big ship was all shiney on the inside but no loot to take from it. Da Nekronz as da 'oomies call dem. Da boyz made easy work of dat Tombship as it was called."

drabber

drabber

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 560 posts
  • Army Name:the Orkin Armada
thats a great start, it really looks like a cutta, are you adding a crow's nest? for the sail how about taking a sheet of plasticard and heating it enough to bend like cloth? I think there was a banner 101 here that did something similar. another idea could be to ct up a soda/beer can for the aluminum, but that can be harder to control and quite sharp...

Magus Gar Kan

Magus Gar Kan

Kommando

• Blood Axez
  • 969 posts
  • Army Name:Defgrimz Dakka Boyz
Thats a really good start. I read somewhere that the material that they make toothpaste tubes out of works well for banners and sails.
Offishol Fishhead Slackjaw Mcgee certified ork Rokka!
GENERATION 2: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment
"Waaagh! Waaagh! The Greenskins, Oldest Greatest Death Machine..."

Frozt

Frozt

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 277 posts
  • Army Name:((work in progress))
looks pretty good. my question is do u plan on using dem metal grots for ur rig, or something from the WFB range? (as if i havent said this last sentence enough) The night goblin plastics are pretty handy. you could use one with an arrow loaded pose, clip the arrow and bow, and have a grot holding onto a part of the boom on the sail.
"Wat? fouty-too aint no ansher for squat! Scratch-buildin, now dat's an ansher!"

the varks

the varks

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 18 posts
thats really cool! i like it and i think it would look alot better with the sail. why not try very thin plasticard and heat it up, then bend it into shape. you need to add a crows nest though Marco

Lorax of the Bleeding Grin

Lorax of the Bleeding Grin

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 863 posts
  • Army Name:Feral
Awesome start. I think it would be really cool to have another (4th) wheel off the side; kind of like a side cart. You could have riggers all over it and a huge cutting arm off of it, kind of like in waterworld. Lorax
QUOTE (4tonmantis @ Nov 26 2008, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gentlemen...welcome to the Lorax effect.. those wishing to learn it be warned...part of the process involves snorting a gerbil and whacking yourself with a clawhammer.

QUOTE (Ug Thok @ Jun 9 2008, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lorax: Da MacGyver uv da Waaagh!

QUOTE (Zagursnik @ Feb 22 2008, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*The Lorax of the Bleeding Grin Effect reffers to models so cobbled toegther with different parts & bitz that ya can't tell whats what until the first coat of paint hits the plastic, metal, pape mache or whatever else it is you found in the garage or under the sofa to build with.

Morgash

Morgash

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm working on the cutta's skipper and tiller mechanism now that I'm back from the holidays. I'll try to have some pictures of that put up tomorrow.

That is a great base for a Grot cutta. What kind of materials are you going to be useing for the body/rideing area of the cutta?

Well the body/riding area is already built it's made out of wire screen, if I we're to do it again I'd probably use carbon fiber screen as it's much easier to work with. Rather than make a solid deck I'm letting the screen act like the netting/deck on a catamaran.

are you adding a crow's nest?

Probably no crow's nest for this cutta, the mast is nearly five inches tall and pretty spindly. I'd really have to reinforce it and it would lose some of the land yacht speediness I'm trying to get out of this model. But I am planing on a larger brigantine inspired cutta once I'm done with this one and that one will definitely have a crow's nest.

looks pretty good. my question is do u plan on using dem metal grots for ur rig, or something from the WFB range? (as if i havent said this last sentence enough) The night goblin plastics are pretty handy. you could use one with an arrow loaded pose, clip the arrow and bow, and have a grot holding onto a part of the boom on the sail.

I'll be using WFB Plastic Goblins as they're cheaper and offer a lot more conversion possibilities. I've got plans for several conversions for this cutta already, but I'll definitely try that idea for a grot clinging on for life to a spar on the bigger cutta I'm planing. ;)

Awesome start. I think it would be really cool to have another (4th) wheel off the side; kind of like a side cart. You could have riggers all over it and a huge cutting arm off of it, kind of like in waterworld.
Lorax

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to describe. The cutta is really too big for a side car. Also I'd like to try to model it on a base so that it's heeled over lifting up one of the rear wheels, and a side car would probably get in the way.

Now as for a sail thanks for all the suggestions. I'm thinking that a PVA soaked cloth sail will probably be the easiest way to go. Though I'm also thinking that a really thin sheet of green stuff or miliput, say pressed between two sheets of glass then laid out over a form to give it a nice sail shape could work. Any thoughts on this method?

Urtyfist Gorok

Urtyfist Gorok

Grot Orderly

• Boyz
  • 188 posts
  • Army Name:Da Red Fists
YES YES YES!!! this thing is greaT, i love it! Now I can make one for my Gorka too! lol thanks for posting this. Ok for the sail I would for SURE use very thin plastic card, you can get it as thin as paper... no problem to bend there, then you could just score some lines in it to make it look like several pieces. Or the paper and pva glue would work too, a little messy though. Pressing greenstuff would work to, I would put platic wrap down on glass, wet it, then roll it out with a glass jar (very wet then let it dry. peel it off and there you go. But for me I would use the thin card... its just Sooooo handy :P Look forward to seeing this done. :thumbs
"I dont get it..."

Widge567

Widge567

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 308 posts
  • Army Name:Bone Crumpin' Boyz
This may sound like a dumb question but what is a grot cutter?
Founder of the Bone Crumpin' Boyz
Lead by Warboss Nagrak

Morgash

Morgash

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts

This may sound like a dumb question but what is a grot cutter?

No problem. It's a from Gorkamorka, used by the Rebel Grots. Basically it is a land yacht, a wind and sail powered vehicle. The Rebel Grots couldn't buy or maintain any vehicle with an engine so their vehicles were either grot powered (Big Luggas) or wind powered (Grot Cutta). Here's a picture of the old official GW model.

GW Grot Cutta

Widge567

Widge567

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 308 posts
After seeing the picture and knowing what it is yours looks very nice maybe for the sail use paper and PVA. Then mould or bend it to what you want.
Lead by Warboss Nagrak

Morgash

Morgash

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts
So here's the first stage of the new skipper's platform and the beginning of the tiller set up for my cutta.

Posted Image

And here's an underside shot of the gears and worky bitz.

Posted Image

More tomorrow. :whip

Darius

Darius

Mimic Squig

• Grotz
  • 93 posts
cool!Are those gears made out of GS?

Jurgatz

Jurgatz

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts
  • Army Name:Jurgatz' Ironsides
lookin' good :thumbs, I'd suggest putting on some wheel guards like the new bikes especially on the front one.
More Rivetz?! Ignorant Git. It needz Gubbinz! Gubbinz is where da Majak happenz.

yerrr.. I ain't proppa.

Morgash

Morgash

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts

cool!Are those gears made out of GS?

No they're plastic gears out of on of those pullback toy cars I bought at a dollar store mainly for the wheels. I wish I had that level of green stuff skill.

Now here's my grot skipper.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Morgash

Morgash

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts
Well I've got the tiller all worked out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Widge567

Widge567

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 308 posts
Looking very nice
Lead by Warboss Nagrak

Morgash

Morgash

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts
I'm getting ready to start the Cutta's rigging. I made some pulleys last night from a couple of plastic bread ties and a rotary hole punch. I blutacked the pulleys and the Grot working the mainsheet to the Cutta to give an idea of what I plan to do. I'm trying to get the Grot on the mainsheet looking like he's both really hauling on the line and also really hiking out. Here are the pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's the plan for the rigging through the blocks and pulleys. I'm thinking of using wire or maybe dental floss. Does anyone have any ideas for how to model rope?

Posted Image